It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd Book of Samuel - Israel demanded a King (?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
briefly as I am off to work soon, in 11 Samuel, the Israelites demand from Samuel a King to judge them. The Lord God tells Samuel 'harken to their demands'

He details what having a King will be like, what will happen but they still want a King.

The Lord God says (briefly) = if they want a King, then they reject God.
It seems almost like the Lord God has decided to give them what they want, which is not him.

After that Israel gets a King.

Really very interesting to read this.

I will expand more after work.

cheers

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
The nations surrounding Ancient Israel all had demigod Kings. A demigod is a King that takes on God status over the people. For instance the Egyptian pharaohs were considered to be Gods. This exactly what the children of Israel were instructed not to do. This is also why the Lord did not make a provision for a king over them. God knew the abuses happening in the nations surrounding them. God chose a people to have a line in which to deliver a Savior. He wanted His people to be "set aside." The Lord did not want His people being like the other nations. Because they whined and cried. He finally gave them a king in his "displeasure" with them, not his pleasure.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
exactly, that is what I felt.

He gave them a King and he was displeased they asked.

why want a King if God (the Ark of God) is with you?

and from that, we see Saul and King David.

interesting

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Israels First King

The people of Israel had for centuries been governed by local leaders known as “judges.” But the judge system had lost public support, and the Jews demanded that the last judge, the prophet Samuel, name a king to succeed him, in spite of the Lord's warning that this would be a disaster.

At the Lord's direction, Samuel named Saul, a young farmer, to be king. Though Saul didn't want the job and hid. While he was hiding the Israelite city of Jabesh came under attack. This got Sauls attention and Saul rose to the occasion and assembled an army. Jabesh was rescued. Saul became a national hero and took his throne.

Eventually as the Lord had warned, pride and greed took on more importance than public service and faithfulness to God. Saul ignored his duties of moral leadership and obedience to the Lord. The Lord chose David, a simple shepherd boy, to replace him and Saul spent the latter part of his reign paranoid and trying to kill David.

As a result of his disobedience, God removed Saul from power, and removed his heirs from the throne that could have otherwise have been theirs. David came out of hiding and became king.

To find about the colorful death of Saul you can read 1 Chronicles 10.

[edit on 4/10/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

you're a bit off...
only egypt had a demigod king.

in other nations (let's say any mesopotamian nation throughout the bronze age) the king tended to act as a liaison to the gods.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
The Lord God says (briefly) = if they want a King, then they reject God.

In the same way that people want a pastor or a priest that they can see and worship, rather than walking by faith. It's no different now than then.

I call them golden pastors, modeled after the golden calf that was built while Jesus was ascended to the father, I mean Moses.

Originally posted by Thurisaz
It seems almost like the Lord God has decided to give them what they want, which is not him.

Instantly the thought hits me that evolutionists are also given enough evidence to suit them too.

new topics

top topics

join