It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Controversy: Mercenaries Training US Local Police Officers

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Controversy: Mercenaries Training US Local Police Officers


www.blacklistednews.com

There are many police and law enforcement officials who are concerned with the growing trend of using military-trained mercenaries to train and work with local police officers in the United States, but there are many who believe the events of September 11, 2001 dictate the need for a new paradigm.
Lexington is on the nation’s list of so-called Sanctuary Cities in which police officers are prohibited from working with ICE or Border Patrol agents in the United States. Critics are angry over the use of local tax dollars to hire Blackwater personnel to train the police.
(visit the link for the full news article)


Related News Links:
canadafreepress.com




posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This is not cool. It reminds me very much of th show Jericho. Ravenwood was the group of mercs on that show. Blackwater seems to be making money hand over fist. And it is coming out of the taxpayer's pockets. What else is new. Just got a creepy feeling when I read this. Hopefully I do not see any of these guys roaming around my town.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I've heard from multiple sources that they are "helping out" in Tucson also.

I've heard other locations, but only Tucson from multiple places.



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I can tell you from experience CQB training has come in quite handy, I do believe officers need to learn how to make dynamic entries. We are getting put into worse situations than we ever have. I know for a fact that my department seized 48 AK-47's and a large number of the cheap shop fabricated MAC-10's we are getting severely out gunned around every corner...every bit of training helps.



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Future_LT
 


But why get training from mercs on the taxpayer's dime? We know what Blackwater is all about. I do not think that most citizens would agree with this use of funds. Why not use the military or other source that is, shall I say, more legite?



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513
 


Yeah, with the recent buildup of aircraft by blackwater, I wonder what is really going on here.

[edit on 4/9/2008 by palehorse23]



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well which company do you exactly propose we pay to train us?

Blackwater provides excellent training, and they will come to your department to train you whereas most companies make you come to them. Overall they are cheaper than most companies.



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Future_LT
 


To quote from the article:

free training provided by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement federal program that prepares police officers to enforce immigration and border security as part of their duties.


That is just one example. Why does it have to be a company? Aren't there other options? Who trains SWAT and other special units? I ask only because I do not know. I thought the police force themselves trained there officers. I was unaware that police departments used outside means for training.
I know a few of the city cops here, I will have to check with them who provides their training.



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Future_LT
Well which company do you exactly propose we pay to train us?

Blackwater provides excellent training, and they will come to your department to train you whereas most companies make you come to them. Overall they are cheaper than most companies.


Here's the distinction: Training provided by outside sources is common, has been for years. You can bet that's where a lot of the "DHS money" is going (if the departments even got it!).

Policing, done by a civilian contractor that has been "field deputized"... I kind of take issue with that. I'm not sure that dog's going to hunt...



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
reply to post by The_Future_LT
 


To quote from the article:

free training provided by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement federal program that prepares police officers to enforce immigration and border security as part of their duties.


That is just one example. Why does it have to be a company? Aren't there other options? Who trains SWAT and other special units? I ask only because I do not know. I thought the police force themselves trained there officers. I was unaware that police departments used outside means for training.
I know a few of the city cops here, I will have to check with them who provides their training.



My department went to Camp Lejeune for CQB training as well as some additional training at Fort Pickett. Larger departments usually hire companies.



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513
 


Good point. As I said, I hope I don't see trigger happy guys like this in my area. They have granted use of lethal force in NO. Insane IMO. I know everyone is going to bark that Blackwater was 'first boots to hit the ground' in NO, but what they are about and the things they have gotten away with I cannot agree with.



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbianchi513
Here's the distinction: Training provided by outside sources is common, has been for years. You can bet that's where a lot of the "DHS money" is going (if the departments even got it!).

Policing, done by a civilian contractor that has been "field deputized"... I kind of take issue with that. I'm not sure that dog's going to hunt...


Our DHS money goes into things wo dont need...like a water truck and riot gear. I have never seen civilian contractors "field deputized" I hope that no department is foolish enough to do that, think of the liability.



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbianchi513
Here's the distinction: Training provided by outside sources is common, has been for years. You can bet that's where a lot of the "DHS money" is going (if the departments even got it!).

Policing, done by a civilian contractor that has been "field deputized"... I kind of take issue with that. I'm not sure that dog's going to hunt...


Our DHS money goes into things wo dont need...like a water truck and riot gear. I have never seen civilian contractors "field deputized" I hope that no department is foolish enough to do that, think of the liability.



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
*I somehow posted this twice, I apologize.*

[edit on 9-4-2008 by The_Future_LT]



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Future_LT
 


Going to military bases is great IMO. That is where training for CQB should come from. Using moneys to hire companies just doesn't seem right to me.

Welcome to ATS by the way. I notice you registered today.


[edit on 4/9/2008 by palehorse23]



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbianchi513
I've heard from multiple sources that they are "helping out" in Tucson also.

I've heard other locations, but only Tucson from multiple places.


I think Tuscon is Pinkerton GS, but I could be wrong. I was recently in touch with BW and they got nothing going on CONUS presently.



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
Going to military bases is great IMO. That is where training for CQB should come from. Using moneys to hire companies just doesn't seem right to me.


But the problem is they only let smaller departments send 12-24 people at a time even then you are a on a 2-3 year waiting list.



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Future_LT
 


Not surprising. I guess our guys are a bit busy right now huh?

KMF:

Did you say BW doesn't have anything going on right now? So they are not training police officers here in the US? Is that what you are saying?
Did you just call them up or something? Just curious as to how you have been in touch with them? Applying to them you need security clearance. And why would they tell outsiders if they had anything 'going on' in the US?



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
On the BW site you can contact them and get a quote for training. Check out their site, and in regards to the CQB training the people are at the base it just the fact that so many departments have applied for training.



posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23
 


Well of course there training departments - they always do that. Its part of Raven Development Group - training, targeting systems etc.

I mean they don't currently have any ops in the CONUS.

I was deployed with BW in N.O. I dont get involved in their Iraq business. I'm a good guy and i make sure those around me are good guys, get it?



new topics

top topics



 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join