It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voodoo priests speak in tongues for Betancourt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Voodoo priests speak in tongues for Betancourt

www.alertnet.org

COTONOU, April 9 (Reuters) - Voodoo priests cried out in tongues and made sacrificial offerings on Wednesday, imploring God and the ancestors to help free French-Colombian hostage Ingrid Betancourt from the hands of Colombia's FARC rebels.

The ritual by initiates in Benin, the West African home of the ancient religion, was part of a three-day programme of fasting and prayer decreed by President Thomas Yayi Boni for Betancourt, who has been held hostage since 2002.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Very weird. Voodoo rituals usually don't make the news and if they do usually do not have anything to do with the French government. I dont really know what to make of this.

Voodoo Vs. FARC?!

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Well, I knew that the charismatic movement was growing by leaps and bounds, but now the voodoo priests are getting into the act? What’s next, Pentecostal zombies?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I'm not sure why they wanted to publish this story. Or is it that they fear no one remembers hostages taken 6 years ago?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by resistor

You might be surprised in how much the Pentecostal and Charismatic's concept of "tongues" Glossolalia, among other things have in common with West African Voodoo traditions which is quite different than the episode of Xenoglossy that according to the Bible took place on Pentecost.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Actually, I'm right with you here. I've been in charismatic churches and seen it first hand, even participating in order to get the full experience. I'm convinced that what goes on in churches today is much more closely related to voodoo, etc. than what happened on Pentecost, which was meant specifically to witness to foreigners. IMO, most of what is called 'speaking in tongues' today is emotionalism at best, and like voodoo, actual submission to spirits at worst.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Good thread, I find it very interesting.

I was watching thru some of the AntiChrist Dajjal series, of like 270 plus 10 minute videos, I could provide a link if anyone is interested, and I was made aware of similarities between the ancient (as the OP mentioned) religion of Vodoo and much of the current symbolism that we can't seem to find a root for.

Thanks for sharing.

new topics

top topics

join