It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret of Music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
"If people knew the secret of music, it would upset the world".

These Rumi's words (which have been haunting for more than 10 years) are NOT included in the article below.

But many other insights - extremely valuable insights - are.

Below is an excerpt from a MUCH longer text (that also includes reflexions on modern music):

The Secret of Music and the Arts

"Why does music appeal so much to man? The whole of manifestation has its origin in vibration, in sound; and this sound, which is called nada in the Vedanta, was the first manifestation of the universe. Consequently, the human body was made of tone and rhythm. The most important thing in the physical body is breath, and the breath is audible; it is most audible in the form of voice. This shows that the principal signs of life in the physical body are tone and rhythm, which together make music. Rhythm appeals to man because there is a rhythm going on in his body. The beating of the pulse and the movement of the heart both indicate this rhythm.

The rhythm of the mind has an effect upon this rhythm that is going on continually in the body, and in accordance with its influence, it affects the physical body. The notes appeal to a person because of the breath; breath is sound, and its vibrations reach every part of the body, keeping it alive. Therefore, in having an effect on the vibrations and on the atoms of the body, sound gives us a sensation.

This is only an explanation of the appeal of music to the physical body. Music reaches further than the physical body; it only depends on what kind of music it is. There is a tradition that the first language in the world consisted of music. After that, a language of words came into being. Even now, among primitive races, there is a language of sounds; and the more musical languages of the world are more expressive, whereas the languages which have less music in them are less so. It is not only words that convey a meaning; very often the tone of the voice conveys it much better, and sometimes the same word can have two or more meanings depending on the tone in which it is spoken."

[edit on 9-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Pretty cool little snippet there. I totally agree with this and as I have learned to play music myself, that is specifically what I like to explore when creating music personally. That universal connection who's message is facilitated with the aid of lyrics. My band & I strive to remove self as much as we can from our art to let that message flow more free from that higher connection while reflecting on life. We like to call it "Clarity of pure emotion" or "Aepathy" as our band is titled as well

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Shakesbeer

Thanks for reading, Shakesbeer,
(now there's a nickname the Bard would LOVE!
).

I hope you've read all of it.
It's so simple - and yet so essential!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
BTW, if somebody can find the exact location of said Rumi's quote (see the beginning of the OP), please do let me know.

I've been looking - on and off - for the past 10 years, but never found the exact quote.

Thanks.

[edit on 11-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Good post - thanks.

No doubt music has many qualities that affect us in many ways.

Though I'm no musician, I remember back in my school days music class (choir)
we learned about the so called "DEATH CORDS". You know the opposing ones that sort of clash that they use in scary movies & whatnot when they want to make you feel a certain way.

I also still occasionally go to concerts for that uplifting experience where the energy envelopes everyone participating and the musicians feed off the energy of the crowd while the crowd feeds off them and everyone feels more as one.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that OP. Being a musician I am a testament to the fact that not only can music elicit emotion, but change lives.

The question I would have is how these tones do what they do. I have been in reggae bands, and understand the lifestyle that is forged by the music, but recently I got into hardcore metal and don't really see what the tones mean.

Most people say metal is angry music. I agree that outwardly, it sounds that way, but for some people it is more of a happy feeling than an angry or sad one.

I think the main point is that music is a release in so many ways for so many people. It speaks to the soul and unlocks some unknown door into pure elation.

I have a friend who doesn't really listen to music. He's a good guy, but one of the most introverted, boring people I have ever known.

If music didn't exist, nor would I in a sense.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus

I think the main point is that music is a release in so many ways for so many people. It speaks to the soul and unlocks some unknown door into pure elation.

This is true for me, I love to play my keyboard; even though I have no training or knowledge, just finding cool combinations of notes and playing little melodies on the basic scales is somehow soothing. I'd certainly agree there's something special to music that perhaps we haven't fully understood yet.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Yes there is something special about music. I listen to punk which is offbeat most of the time
, but it does give me this energy that nothing else does. Especially at shows they are some of the funnest places to be.

And when i'm playing my guitar i can think alot more clearly for some reason. I'm pretty sure that there is something buried deep in the notes that changes us for the better no matter what type of music.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I agree with the emotions that can be felt with music. I play guitar, Bass, Drums and piano. Have played for 20 years and usually spend an hour a day playing something.

I have certain chords and notes that when played alone literally make the hairs on my neck stand up. I feel almost that the vibration of such tone is revebrating within a natural tone within my physical self.

Music can change my whole mood depending on what i play or listen too

top topics

join