It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Price of US gallon of gas Vs price of Canadian gallon of gas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It was brought to my attention today by a fellow ATS member (TheDuckster) that Americans are paying more for their gasoline.

She told me she was paying around 4.50 for a gallon of gas. A gallon of gas in is equal to 4.5 liters.
www.travelmanitoba.com...

Here in the states I'm paying about 3.75 for a gallong of gas. A gallon of gas here in the states is 3.8 liters.

Now in this day and age the american dollar is pretty much neck and neck with the canadian dollar.

I'm not very good in math...never have been probably never will be but it looks to me like they are getting more gasoline for their money. I didn't use any math i'm just looking at the numbers? Am I right? Am I wrong? Is it pretty much even?

Look's to me like they're paying less for their gas. Why?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Not sure if this can help, but this website shows the prices side by side.

www.gasbuddy.com...

Im confused because Im not sure what its desplaying as the gas price for canada.

Edit** Ahh I see, four Canadian gallons = five U.S. gallons. I wonder how to convert it all.

[edit on 4/9/08 by Cyprex]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
how can a gallon equal 3.8 and 4.5 liters?

i looked it up and 1 gallon equal 3.79 liters

dollars being equal then in my area (1.11 per liter) then it's about $4.20 USD

does that make sense

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
hmm

thanks for posting that but i don't really understand it

for example

what does this mean

USA Canada
Today 3.356 117.715

i don't understand why it shows triple digits for canadas prices

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuebor

It's called the "Imperial Gallon" and it's 4.5 liters

according to this site
the US Galon is only 3.8 liters

according to theDuckster she is paying about 4.50 for an Imperial Gallon

unless I misunderstood her

Perhaps i will ask her to shed some light in here

[edit on 9-4-2008 by Roland Deschain]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
ohhh

then if dollars are equal

4.5 x 1.11 = 4.99

and an imperial gallon is about .26 greater than a US gallon so the difference in price would make the imperial gallon $1.29 more

so add 1.29 to the average price of a gallon in the states ( based on US gallon ) you get $4.60

Canadian are paying more.

Originally posted by Roland Deschain
reply to post by Tuebor

It's called the "Imperial Gallon" and it's 4.5 liters

according to this site
the US Galon is only 3.8 liters

according to theDuckster she is paying about 4.50 for an Imperial Gallon

unless I misunderstood her

Perhaps i will ask her to shed some light in here

[edit on 9-4-2008 by Roland Deschain]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
ooo so they're paying MORE?

huh, i thought us in the states were paying more

lol i guess i had it backwards

well then.. the idea behind the OP still stands it's just flipped

why are you guys up there in canada paying more? is it harder to get the oil up there? is it because you guys aren't part of the US?
j/k..kinda..i mean that could be pretty true don't you think?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

hmm

thanks for posting that but i don't really understand it

for example

what does this mean

USA Canada
Today 3.356 117.715

i don't understand why it shows triple digits for canadas prices

I initially was curious about this as well, but as I continued reading, I learned that the 117.715 is cents. Why they didn't correct that to begin with to save people a little trouble is kinda' strange.

I recently was North bound on a mojor North South interstate just at the begining of the month, and was surprised to see all of the Canadian liscence plates on the big RV's and motor homes...most of them were speading more than 10 mph above the posted limit too...but with our lower gas prices and falling dollar, I guess they feel that they can afford a ticket or two....most of them must be going from near south boarder communities where they park in an RV park to avoid the cold and snowey Canadian Winters...

Still at these prices here in the states, one has to wonder why someone wants to run a giant gas guzzling RV at above 80mph....God, I'd hate to pay the gas bill at the next stop on one of those things...burning up fuel and causeing demand to increase

***sighs, and shakes head at the thought of the madness***

[edit on 9-4-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

why are you guys up there in canada paying more?

Tax I think. Same thing with the UK.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I think we are America's #1 or 2 oil supplier so I dont understand our high prices even with out high taxes? I guess we need better refining abilities up here to bring the price down?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Slickinfinity

....and this brings us to the multi-billion dollar question: Why isn't the oil industry (making record breaking profits, and taking advantage of...no make that rapeing the treasury and the American people by getting these Bush [bought and paid for oil man himself of course!!!] tax breaks amidst the record revenues and profits) building new refineries????

[edit on 9-4-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Canadians pay more in gas because all petroleum used in Canada is domestically produced, mostly from oil sands which cost more to drill and refine than oil imported from middle eastern states.

Gas in my native SC is $3.09 USD/gallon. Gas in Toronto (Vaughan suburb) is $112.2 CDN/litre, or $4.28 USD/gallon.

source

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
i could be wrong but i believe they are paying more for gas in europe as well. feel free to correct me if im wrong on that, but i guess here on ats that last statement goes without saying

edit: the cheapest gas ive found here in columbia south carolina is 3.11 usd that was about 12:30est or so. today being the 9th of april 2008..

[edit on 15pmu102007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Canada remained the largest exporter of total petroleum in January, exporting 2.586 million barrels per day to the United States, which is an increase from last month (2.360 thousand barrels per day). The second largest exporter of total petroleum was Saudi Arabia with 1.503 million barrels per day.

link

This is crazy. Why doesn't Canada keep some and lower the prices at the pump.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I think the reason gas is/has been so cheap in the US is that it is heavily subsidized. Yes, there is a gas tax, but if I recall correctly gas subsidies bring the price of it from what Europeans are paying ($7+/gallon) down to what it is in the US. Europe doesnt have the same subsidies and tax credits that the US does, and therefore gas is cheaper here and we can still be wasteful!

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Roland Deschain

correction here in Canada a gallon of gas is 3.78 liters per gallon when we changed over our gallon was 4.5 liters 20 years ago its now the u.s. measurement it was our oil companies way of giving us the shaft while increasing their bottom line profit

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Hi. Had to register so I could delurk for this one.

Here in Canada we have an exhorbitant amount of taxes added to every litre of gasoline.

AND, we may have HUGE deposits of petroleum, but we have no refineries. We have to ship the darn stuff 'somewhere else' and then import back the finished product.

AND we don't have 300 million people with cars so getting the stuff shipped to approx 30 million people over land way bigger than the US is quite costly.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

I know I already posted, but this still begs the question: if prices are so high then there should be an incentive for the big ugly oil companies to build a damn refinery for you guys up there eh...and one or two more down here...of course the standard skeptic tries to say it's the liberals and tree huggers that prevent that; but this of course is complete rubish! Second argument if you want to discount the "incentive" one is that the oil companies have been making record profits in the $billions upon $billions with washington doing their bidding in the mid east by creating this chaos and achieving moving crude OFF the market (resulting in massive price p/b increases...) then they certainly could do a little community outreach and give us a few more refineries couldn't they?

I think you and I both know why they are not building any more...the answer really is two answers....one, we are past the peak, and two, it would cause prices to fall, and if you're in the oil business or in the White House, why would you want that?

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
FYI

I was at the pump today to fill up ($1.17 per liter) and I noticed a sticker from Petro Canada ( national gas company) .

Here's the break down on the price of a liter.

48% crude cost
34% taxes
15% refining and marketing
3% profit

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuebor

Canadian gas is bought by the litre not by imperial gallon.If you are
are paying $3.99 per gallon you are therefore paying ($3.99/3,78 litres)
or about 41.05 per litre.In Canada when your gas at $3.99/gallon we are paying $1.25- $1.29 per litre.
Hope this helps.
Gary

top topics

<<   2 >>

join