It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we all just a bit egotistical?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
So I love to come here and check everything out and all, but when I really think about it, why in the world would aliens care about us in the first place?

Why are they wasting their own time flying in the sky? They would know everything about us by now, it's like they need research, and if they wanted the earth for some reason they would've taken it!

It just all seems a bit egotistical to think that we're so important to aliens that they're gonna go through all this trouble for no reason. Just my two cents...

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Maybe we underestimate ourselves sometimes. It could be that humans have something unique and well sought after in the universe, maybe things like joy, love or laughter, you know, things we take for granted. (on the flip side it could be our negative emotions like aggression, cruelty or hatred that are sought after)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tha son

1) If they are from our universe (from another star system) perhaps they've eliminated the problems which plague our society. They travel around now studying other worlds (like Star Trek).

2) They are from a parallel universe or higher dimension which we cannot perceive but is right next to us. Inevitably we occasionally cross paths with them.

3) Either #1 or #2 or some combination of them including them being directly responsible for our perception of reality (consciousness).

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
reply to post by tha son

1) If they are from our universe (from another star system) perhaps they've eliminated the problems which plague our society. They travel around now studying other worlds (like Star Trek).

2) They are from a parallel universe or higher dimension which we cannot perceive but is right next to us. Inevitably we occasionally cross paths with them.

3) Either #1 or #2 or some combination of them including them being directly responsible for our perception of reality (consciousness).

Well the first ones possible, but a lot of people speak on them coming down here and making a big scene, like this estimation that August will be this big month where they finally all come in some sort of fleet and fly around, but I see your saying that is a possible explanation on why they spend time flying around here...

The second one I guess is likely, but we never cross paths with them? It's always them happening to come here rather than vice-versa.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by tha son]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tha son

The second one I guess is likely, but we never cross paths with them? It's always them happening to come here rather than vice-versa.

Yes the 2nd option would be like the box in a box theory. We live in a virtual universe with no understanding of what the "real universe" (don't ask me what the difference between real and virtual) is like. In such a scenario ghosts, flying saucers, bigfoot, abductions, jesus appearing at the foot of your bed, etc could be explained as either a) anomolies or b) purposeful constructs of the real universe or high dimension.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
reply to post by tha son

Yes the 2nd option would be like the box in a box theory. We live in a virtual universe with no understanding of what the "real universe" (don't ask me what the difference between real and virtual) is like. In such a scenario ghosts, flying saucers, bigfoot, abductions, jesus appearing at the foot of your bed, etc could be explained as either a) anomolies or b) purposeful constructs of the real universe or high dimension.

Bravo Scramjet! Very well put!

The 1st option is a dud and based on science fiction that's perpetrated by gov't disinformation campaigns.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tha son
So I love to come here and check everything out and all, but when I really think about it, why in the world would aliens care about us in the first place?

Why not? We're an intelligent race (though we're not what I think we could be if we tried harder). We have an amazing planet. Why shouldn't aliens be interesred in us? Just because they're visiting us doesn't mean they aren't visiting other races too.

Why are they wasting their own time flying in the sky? They would know everything about us by now, it's like they need research, and if they wanted the earth for some reason they would've taken it!

How do you know they know everything by now? We don't know everything and humanity has been around for thousands of years!

It just all seems a bit egotistical to think that we're so important to aliens that they're gonna go through all this trouble for no reason. Just my two cents...

Maybe it's not so much trouble? Maybe it's easy for them to explore and study our planet?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
You really think we're an intelligent race? Compared to an alien lifeform that has the ability to hover around our atmosphere as they do? Please, we can't hold a candle to them if they're that far ahead of us mentally and technologically.

And sure, it could be easy for them to explore our planet, but why waste the time? What do they get out of it? It all goes back to being so self centered as people to think that they really care that much about humans. There's just not much of a reason for it...

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
A local radio station has a segment of news called " Stupid people doing stupid things". perhaps were just a news segment to entertain the rest of the universe.....

mikell

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I think of it in two ways.

1. The size of space
Finding a planet that has (reasonably) intelligent life on it is rare

2. We're a galactic joke/novelty/nature reserve

Whatever the reason, the aliens have their reasons for observing us

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
But even if they were hanging around, they certainly have no reason to reveal themselves to us. We still have lots of issues to deal with (wars, crimes, polution etc). before we're eligible to be awarded with their presence.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Interesting question...

First off, who knows.

Secondly, the legitmate assumption is that aliens are so superior to us in terms of intelligence and technology that they are Complete somehow.

But, just because a race of intelligent beings/entities are advanced through biological evolution and passage of time to arrive at that level...doesn't mean that their natural curioisity of "peers" is satitiated.

Also, their agenda(s), whatever it or they may be, may require further study to reach x, y, and/or z. Hopefully benign,

My point is, you are letting the limits of human comprehension obscure what else could be.

If a civilization is hundreds, thousands or millions of years ahead of us...their ethics, philosophies and agendas would be, logically, far different from ours.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by EclipseReloaded]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by tha son
You really think we're an intelligent race? Compared to an alien lifeform that has the ability to hover around our atmosphere as they do? Please, we can't hold a candle to them if they're that far ahead of us mentally and technologically.

Yes. We are an intelligent race. We just suck pretty badly at managing and using our intelligence effectively sometimes. Also, I didn't mean knowledge-wise intelligence.... I mean ability to reason, ability to discover knowledge, etc.

And sure, it could be easy for them to explore our planet, but why waste the time? What do they get out of it? It all goes back to being so self centered as people to think that they really care that much about humans. There's just not much of a reason for it...

As I said, just because they're exploring our planet does not mean they aren't exploring many other planets with intelligent life. Why waste their time? Why not? What do they gain from it? There are many possibilities.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Maybe they are our probation officers, I often try to think how our species would be seen by outsiders (aliens) and I can only think that with our constant wars and lack of care and regard for other nations that we would probably be seen as some sort of undesirable in the universe. Would you want, say for example only, North Korea to suddenly get a fleet of ships and come sailing round your neck of the woods ? I think there would be a close eye kept on this fleet.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I understand what your saying Op - there's no doubt to our super ego's when you consider religion has made us the center of the universe for so long. In that sense, I can see how the 'hangover' (*burp*) from that could taint people opinions.

But...

If you tell (lets say) a botanist that there's a unique new plant species halfway up a treacherous cliff-face that's almost impossible to get to. They will certainly find a way of getting there. Perhaps they are just interested in seeing the new 'plant' - so to speak?

Now there's a thought for you, what if they were like ET and just here to get plants -- however it just so happened that we were on this planet too. Of course we would still think they are here for us.

Wouldn't that dent out ego when we discovered the painful truth though!

[edit on 10/4/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home

Spock: There are millions of other species on Earth, Doctor. Only human arrogance would assume the message was meant for man.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Mark Roazhar

Ahh yes! Spock was very wise! Thanks for jolting my memory on that one MR! Now I'm going to have to go to the DVD store

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by EclipseReloaded
Interesting question...

First off, who knows.

Secondly, the legitmate assumption is that aliens are so superior to us in terms of intelligence and technology that they are Complete somehow.

But, just because a race of intelligent beings/entities are advanced through biological evolution and passage of time to arrive at that level...doesn't mean that their natural curioisity of "peers" is satitiated.

Also, their agenda(s), whatever it or they may be, may require further study to reach x, y, and/or z. Hopefully benign,

My point is, you are letting the limits of human comprehension obscure what else could be.

If a civilization is hundreds, thousands or millions of years ahead of us...their ethics, philosophies and agendas would be, logically, far different from ours.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by EclipseReloaded]

Nah, I don't think I'm letting human comprehension obscure what else could be, I'm attempting to use it logically do discuss the information, rather than let it be a reason to let myself think that UFO's run rampant around the solar system studying us like I usually do lol.

But I guess your saying that it does happen, but we just can't comprehend it cause they're far too superior, or ahead of us. I'm not really going for that...

And if they were, the past hundreds of years of us seeing them would be enough time for them to do whatever they had set out to do I would think..

Originally posted by Breadfan
But even if they were hanging around, they certainly have no reason to reveal themselves to us. We still have lots of issues to deal with (wars, crimes, polution etc). before we're eligible to be awarded with their presence.

Award us with their presence? Please, I pray that aliens aren't so pompous to think that they're presence is an "award" to us, and they've been waiting all this time for us to be peaceful so they can reveal themselves lol....

[edit on 10-4-2008 by tha son]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Perhaps they created us to fight a war for them.

The possibilities are many, in an inter-galactic universe.

edit; i base my reasoning on the fact that conflict seems inevitable for humans.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think it is egotistical to think they are interested in us for our own sake. For example, that we are interesting, have great things to contribute, love, joy, dancin' through the flowers, etc.

I think they may have very similar motives to our own. All known living things are competitive and self interested (although some individuals may not be.) We have no logical reason to assume that alien life would be any different.

I think it is quite likely that if an alien species has an interest in us, that interest would likely be similar to our own interest in the life forms we share the planet with. "Can we eat it? Use it for fuel? Dissect it to learn more about us and life in general? Exterminate it and take its habitat? Make a drug that will help us from it? Or domesticate it for some other selfish purpose?"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join