It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreign Communist Paramilitary protecting Olympic Torch in San Francisco

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I have a couple questions.

Is the host country of the olympics responsible for designing and manufacturing the torch?

If this is the case then, in the past has there ever been torch security designated to protecting the torch from the host country?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Someone stated early in the thread something about the Secret Service as a similar example. That may be.

But I haven't been able to find examples of the type of 'torch protection' in recent history. I also don't understand why if the Games are not until August, why the torch is making short term publicity stops so soon, but honestly I do not 'know' my Olympics so to speak.

Maybe someone with more background will know, but I have no recollection of the type of protection/scrutiny in regard to the Olympic touch traveling the world. With that said, I also don't remember the runner's bodyguards being so plentiful or so close to the torch runner during the touring.

I doubt that they would cancel the Olympics or anything like that, but if the US were to boycott lets say, would the Chinese use that as pretext to dump their dollars? Or do we have to go, in order not to seem weak in the face of this supposed 'red capitalist menace'.

the whole thing seems so overblown,
DocMoreau

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin
The Communist Chinese will not stomach well losing face like this.

I suspect it will be something of a "learning" for the PRC dictators that they cannot control the world the way they control their own people.

I agree. I also wonder how they will feel when they don't bring in as many Gold Medals as they expect, it being their home turf. Will we get some sort of Jesse Owens in Berlin type moments? Honestly, China seems so faceless as a country, leadership wise. Its like our diplomats are still trying to meet with Chairman Mao....

Either way, I pray we get through the next few months clean and clear. So much happening, so little time.
DocMoreau

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Although anyone who has read my posts, knows i am not the most friendly person towards the PRC, but this may suprise you.

I don't care that the Torch had its own security. I don't care that the security was card carring Commies either.

I would rather the Chiniese have to deal with the security of thier torch, rather then have our Police men doing guard duty...

Plus, if the torch is grabbed from the chiniese, its a victory for US, but if we had Ameican guards around it, then we look like idiots...

I was really hoping yesterday that the San Franciscans would grab the torch, but i forgot that about a thrid of SF would consider China to be thier home country... and the other 2/3s would fight against America no matter what... but thats a diffrent thread...

I just hope more people wake up to China 08.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
What a mess. First we have China acting up in Tibet at the worst possible time and then we have protesters embarrassing the Free World by resorting to violence to protest violence. I'm not sure who is worse, the Chinese or the violent protesters. Neither one has any credibility. Both are equally WRONG.

I have to wonder what kind of person holds a violent protest and I'm tempted to say I can't exactly blame China for wanting to help protect their own event. Imagine the propaganda mileage they will get using tapes of the violent protests. This will hurt Tibet more than it helps.

It's as if the whole world has gone nuts. Violent protests to protest violence. What a bunch of mental midgets.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Who cares.....? Everyone knows China has had a long list of human rights violations....Everyone! Trying to jimmy shack and torch runner isn't going to stop any thing and by now if the "protesters" which they have every right to to this..are going to try to bring this to a media headline haven't figured out that the American media is going to make them out to be domestic terrorist then they are just stupid...
..If you wanna make a stink about this the take a long look at the American human rights violations...for that matter look at Africa for christ sakes...man if some would put as much energy and focus into getting these career politicians out of Washington as they do this they could really change the world for the better.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by tsloan]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChadOnLife
- The Chinese government treats their own people (including their prisoners/slaves) as if they're insects.
- They have no respect for liberty & justice for all.

Just out of curiosity, have you been to China, or are you basing this opinion on things you've read? I travel to China quite frequently for business, and I can tell you that your view is not entirely correct.

While China is certainly lagging behind the United States, Canada, and Europe as far as individual freedoms are concerned, it's not as bad as you've described. China has improved dramatically in these areas since the 1970's, and it's getting better all the time.

Visit Shanghai sometime, it's a relatively free, affluent, and modern city even by Western standards. I don't disagree that China has a long way to go, but I do get tired of people who really don't have a clue about what China is like constantly demonizing it.

By the way - thanks to the OP for posting this in the first place, VERY interesting information... I hadn't heard anything about this until this thread. Star for you.

[edit on 4/10/2008 by JustMe74]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I don't consider trying to put out the torch to be "violent" .. perhaps the police where violent by throwing people to the ground and so forth.. but I saw no "violence" what so ever.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
They didn't seem to do much in London. One of them got a bit heavy handed with someone trying to take a picture a bit too close and he was met with a vicious jab from the guy taking the pic (I've searched around to see if I can find a picture of it but to no avail). The rozzers ended up dragging the little Chinese guard away before he got a proper pasting...hehe...lovely days.

My own PERSONAL OPINION is that if they so much as touch you without a smile on their face, give em a crack in the chops and tell them to tell Uncle Cheng you said "hi."

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Violence? You must be getting your info from the Chinese Media. And maybe you've seen isolated incidence involving individuals. That does not make the protesters as a whole violent and by no means makes it "a violent protest", they are peaceful protests with the obvious unpredictability of individuals.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Strange, but none of the "para-military troops" from China were in any of the TV pictures of the torch in San Fran.

If you are talking about oriental faces, I might remind you that San Francisco has the highest percentage of Chinese ancestry people of any city in the uSA. Add in a few thousand people of Japanese descent, Vietnamese descent, etc and what do you find? Oriental type faces to show on television.

Just because some idiot says it on television or on radio, does not make it true.

Were there some Chinese guards around, probably. But there would be American guards around if someting important to the USA was being shown off in another country.

Get off your paranoid train folks. The USA is NOT the only country in the world.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMe74

Unfortunately the Unseen China constitutes the bigger part of China. Have you seen those:

The Unseen China - Part 2

The Unseen China - Part 3

The Unseen China - Part 4

The Unseen China - Part 5

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join