It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

good reading

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Ok, at some point, possibly soon, the defecation is or could hit the oscillation and knowing how to get by with improvised materials or "old school" type things could be essential.

towards this end id like to recomend a few books.

these are all by the same author and id recommend them to anyone. (no, im not the author but i do know him personally)

the first is PVC PROJECTS FOR THE OUTDOORSMAN

pretty much self explanatory

next is MORE PVC PROJECTS FOR THE OUTDOORSMAN

again, self explanatory

another good one is a dvd (again by tom): MODERN MUZZLELOADING

this one i recommend because black powder is an old and proven method of survival. it requires a bit more skill than a normal long rifle but lets face it, people were making gunpowder and lead balls long before our modern firearms and while this video doesnt teach one to make powder (afaik) it is a skill that could be learned by a motivated survivalist.

finally, for those hunters, survivalists or wannabe snipers out there theres:
INVISIBLE ADVANTAGE WORKBOOK
or the dvd: INVISIBLE ADVANTAGE-DVD

I honestly hope that no one sees this as me just plugging someones books because im not. the listed books are simply amazing for people like us and trust me when i say the author knows his stuff. Once upon a time id have followed that man to hell because i knew he'd get me back out, and i still would.

If you want a leg up on survival, these materials are just about must haves.

should anyone get one and have questions about anything printed in the material, u2u me and ill call him and get you an answer.

peace

always hope for the best. but, prepare for the worst

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for the suggested reading. I will certainly look into them. we live in the country and trying to prepare for whatever might be ahead. Things like gunpowder, hunting, etc. sound like a good idea, especially for us country folk. I would also add the the old series of Firefox books are very helpful. Someone collected all the info he could find on how the old Appalachian mountaineers used to live off the land and there are many practical things in it, such as how to simply make your own bed, medicinal tips, etc.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
well the medicinal things i think is an area even seasoned campers, hikers, hunters etc tend to overlook. when i was a rockclimber and instructor id meet other climbers and groups and i was typically the only one that ever had a first aid kit that was worth having. but, i was an emt once upon a time so for me it was a no brainer.

ive considered for years writing a book on backcountry first aid which would include a lot of improvised equipment etc.

thanks for the tip on more references though

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Here's another which I just thought of. It's the Army manual for how to survive anything everywhere. I think if you Google Army survival manual, you can find it. I believe Amazon has one and probably a used one as well. This is the single best book I've ever come across for survival. If you get lost at the North pole in 35 feet of snow, it will tell you how to build a shelter, how to stay warm and what you can use for food.
Another good book is by Matthew Stein called "When Technology Fails". He even tells you how to make colloidal silver, which cures infections.
But I've never seen anywhere where they talk about gunpowder, snipering, etc. so I'm going to look into your friend's books. He sounds like quite a guy!

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I forgot to mention that I think your idea of a First Aid for hikers is a very good idea. If it were small enough, I'd carry it in my backpack always, just to be safe.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
heh yeah thats always been a consideration if i do write one. make it small enough to be portable. id also try to get it printed on ths stuff i have a climbing map made of called "kimdura" i think. it will stand up to abuse in the elements, just not sure how pictures would print on it...cuz id need pictures lol

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Yes, I know the paper you're talking about. That's a great idea. Perhaps a pamphlet might be handy? I don't know how much information you have to share
but that might fit the bill.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

LOL a lot, unless i did a series of pamphlets for various topics. but no, i think a full on book, and contrary to soe of my posts, i.i can be consice when needed so that will keep

this book, should it ever be written, (i have a lot going on atm) is going to be like the cliffs notss of an emt training cclass.

hehe just glad im not the only one thats heard of kimdura

join