It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Want Iraqis to Use Oil Surplus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Democrats Want Iraqis to Use Oil Surplus

apnews.myway.com

Democrats plan to push legislation this spring that would force the Iraqi government to spend its own surplus in oil revenues to rebuild the country, sparing U.S. dollars.

The legislation follows a recommendation by Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, that the Bush administration halt troop withdrawals in July.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I'm not sure which particular issue bothers me the most. But...

"Rather, we need to put continuous and increasing pressure on the Iraqis to settle their political differences, to pay for their own reconstruction with their oil windfalls, and to take the lead in conducting military operations," said Levin, D-Mich.

Are we really waiting for peace in the middle east? "Hey, we know that you guys have been arguing over which son was better for awhile now, but we're gonna need you to go ahead and wrap some of that up so we can get on out of here."

As far as the Iraqi's using their own oil, it's kinda odd. I don't have a source for it now, but before we invaded Iraq wanted to start trading it's oil in Euros, not the US dollar. The value of our dollar is partially resting on the fact that Middle Eastern oil is traded with it. It is sometimes referred to as the petrodollar.

So now we come in and say, "i know we were responsible for destroying most of your infrastructure but we'd tired of footing the bill, start using your countries wealth to pay for reconstruction." Which will of course be traded in the dollar.

Now if Iraqi oil profit is used to pay for reconstruction, in US dollars, paid to US companies which are 'rebuilding' Iraq, then it seems the US has commandeered a portion of the Iraqi oil wealth.

On the other hand, I know we're sick of paying for this war. It's just a very tough situation with a lot of political and economic history. I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
While we made a mess of he country in our ill advised invasion... if the Iraqi "government" has those resources, then they should be using them... after all they are supposedly the government.... right?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It's not that simple. The 'government' over there doesn't control or overlook the entire population like it does here. There are militias and religious groups which hold power within the country, to the extent of completely controlling the region. And these forces have always been there, it's just that when we took everything out, they were able to flourish.

Or look at it this way. I come over to your house and start throwing your stuff around, saying your unorganized and you need helping cleaning up. I start barking orders for you to help me out, this is your place after all, so you listen assuming that I know what I'm doing. Then I realize, this isn't even my place, why am I sweating over this? So I tell you that you need to clean this mess up before I can leave, because I don't want to see you living in this filth.

new topics

top topics

join