It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft XP server question

page: 1

join
share:
JSR

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I have a question about my HP Media Center running Windows XP.

My sister-in-law and her boyfriend were over at the house one day while I was at work. my wife and her were talking, and the boyfriend ( an IT tech type of guy ) want to use our computer. Well, next time I get on it, I notice he had switched it from a personal computer type set up. the set up it came as, to a server type set up.

why would he do this? I don't suspect any malicious type stuff. he was just trying to help. but, I don't know anything about server stuff. and very little about the workings of a pc in general.

is there a way to get it back to the way it was? do I need to?

help.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
you'll need to be more specific...xp isn't a server operating system per se, but it's possible he installed or activated something that provides some service. what did you notice was different?

JSR

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

well, under "my documents", there is an "administrator" set, and my set.

and when i do a "control alt delete" it shows the cpu on one side, and the network on the other.

i assumed it was set up like a server. of course, like it said, i know little about the workings of a computer. so, i may have my terminology mixed up.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
well there's always an administrator account in windows. is this actually inside your my documents folder or is this in "documents and settings"? if it's actually inside your my documents folder then you might want to see what's in there.

i have a feeling you're seeing the administrator's profile folder. if that's the case then there's nothing to worry about, that's supposed to be there. the profile folders contain all of your account settings for your windows logon such as desktop background, internet explorer favorites, screen saver settings, start menu and desktop shortcuts, documents, etc. so at the very least you should see one folder for administrator and one for your usual account. if you have multiple users setup then obviously there would be a folder for each of those as well.

[edit]

as far as the task manager showing cpu and network, that's also normal. =)

[edit on 9-4-2008 by an0maly33]

JSR

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

i guess i shouldn't worry then. thanks.

top topics

join