It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New anti-terror weapon: Hand-held lie detector 'Red' means you're lying..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

New anti-terror weapon: Hand-held lie detector 'Red' means you're lying..

www.msnbc.msn.com

FORT JACKSON, S.C. - The Pentagon will issue hand-held lie detectors this month to U.S. Army soldiers in Afghanistan, pushing to the battlefront a century-old debate over the accuracy of the polygraph.

The Defense Department says the portable device isn't perfect, but is accurate enough to save American lives by screening local police officers, interpreters and allied forces for access to U.S. military bases, and by helping narrow the list of suspects after a roadside bombing. The device has already been tried in Iraq and is expected to be deployed there as well. “We're not promising perfection — we've been very careful in that,” said Donald Krapohl, special assistant to the director at the Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment, the midwife for the new device. “What we are promising is that, if it's properly used, it will improve over what they are currently doing.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It sounds like a great idea until you get to the part regarding it's accuracy. At best, it's accurate about 82 to 90% of the time. When you add in the inconclusive readings that drops to about 63 to 79% of the time.

Would you want a determination of your innocence or guilt based upon the findings of this machine? I wouldn't..

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I am sure we can look forward to these "coming soon to a police force near you".

If we are lucky they will make it like the breathalyzer tests, where if you refuse to take it, then you are automatically guilty. Good times, good times.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

You're probably right about that KH. This is just the testing ground for this supposedly new technology..

It sounds strangely reminiscent of a toy made in the 70's called "Super Sleuth" which was a lie detector of sorts, and had a red and green scale too! I think they sold for about $10 back then. Everything old is new again.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I can just see them everywhere. OMG i wonder what else they will pull out of their rears TOMORROW?

1984. Without a doubt.

new topics

top topics

join