It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our life is a lie.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Come on people - snap out of it!

Some of you are whining about things that just two generations ago were the ultimate goal. You have a job you don't like. Boo hoo - it's just a job, change it, change you, change your circumstances or get over yourselves. You can feed and cloth yourselves can't you? You have a roof over your head don't you? No one is bombing your neighborhood are they?

Man, I hope there are more than Americans saying these things because I'd hate to think we are the only ones that whine like the spoiled brats we are. I agree with the poster who said to go read a book. Start with some non-fiction biographical life story from your heritage circa early 1900's. Then cry yourself a river about how bad we have it. Sheez!

Life is not a lie, (unless you take the F out of it - lol).

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Relentless

I used to think that we were spoiled and that we as humans could be satisfied with such ideal living conditions. After studying history I have learned that our living conditions only improve after we need them changed so society can continue to exist in this ever changing world. No one should ever feel completely satisfied with anything.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
True, but people shouldn't be dissatisfied unless they are in dire straits either.

What is that song that says something like - "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have"?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
But don't worry. When the NWO takes over, they'll supposedly round everybody up and put them in slavery prison camps. You won't be bored, then.

That sounds exciting and alot like fun. Where do I sign up for that?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
When the Whingeing Had to Stop

The world is full of people complaining that their lives are a lie, a meaningless treadmill, stultifying routine, et cetera ad nauseum.

In an earlier time, these people would be peasants, breaking their backs to earn their daily bread. Modern civilization has freed them from that labour, educated them slightly and given them leisure; but civilization and technology have also made surplus to requirements. The human race can do without these people.

And now it seems as if it will have to. James Lovelock, the grandaddy of all climate scientists, reckons Earth will have only a fraction of its current population in a few hundred years. As always, it will be the fittest who survive -- the most energetic, the most enterprising, the most adaptable.

And I'll tell you what, they won't miss the whingers.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by Astyanax]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
True, even moreso we have been falsely educated.

The truths about our very world and universe have been kept from us and replaced with lies. There are many hidden mysteries of this world and our very solar system that only a few in the world know and keep secret.

They have brainwashed us well and the more educated we think we are the harder it becomes for one to ever accept the truth of something.

One might say: I know Science I am a master of science and know everything there is to know on the subject, they have all the statistics, equations, facts, evidence and could never be convinced if you told them something as simple as the earth is hollow. They would laugh at you to scorn not realizing that they have been had their entire lives and led to believe in false pretences.

We have all been deceived in this life but there is a greater unseen purpose for it all. Just stick to living the best life you can and you will see that purpose in the next life and be greatly rewarded.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Okay... I may have went a little too far in saying that our life is a lie.

I take that statement back. I don't think our life is a lie. I just think that our life could be a lot better.

There are times when anyone including myself may become really lazy and not have any mental stimulation or like not do anything for a really long time. If we do that we need to do something to keep us active. Whether it be reading on ATS, reading a book, playing sports or even going outside and taking a walk.

I was not saying that our life is a lie. We are capable, and, we are intelligent. We know how to deal with situations in the real world.

The problem is that a lot of people can't. A lot of people don't think a lot and that's because they don't believe that they can do anything else except what they are doing. People should really open up and see the world for how it is.

More people should start to try to make their lives interesting.

The average American watches too much TV. I believe if they watched less TV they would start to appreciate the finer things in life. I, myself, can do without TV for a week, and, I would be able to find other things to do.

There are people that say that they can't do without technology for a week. If you take away their cell phone they might not even be able to survive since they depend on it for their contact with their friends. If you take away their microwave they wouldn't know how to build a fire with wood and fire. If you force them out of their house to go on camping for a week they would complain after the second day.

Mental stimulation is important to all people. People need it. I believe that if people don't get mental stimulation that they will become blobs that do nothing but sit around the couch watching TV and doing other things.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

A VERY interesting and thought provoking topic my friend.

I genuinely hope you find what you are looking for.

I would suggest that it is right in front of you, staring you in the face. You just need to reach out and grab it.

The life you see yourself living in your day dreams, can easily be yours, you just need to take action. You can only think about it so much before you drive yourself crazy.

But in saying that, your purpose in life could be to never achieve what you see in your dreams, as a lesson to others maybe.

I, like you, am a massive thinker. I spend a lot of my time in thought. Have you ever thought that if you spent less time thinking and more time doing, you might be where you want? I know i have.

I can only assume (and yes I know what they say about assumption) that the reason you don't take action to live that life, is because you are scared. Scared that you will make the wrong decision.

However, I am of the thought that any movement is good, whether in the right or the wrong direction, for it is the journey that counts.

The race is long, and in the end it is only with yourself.

Blurry

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I believe it's spelled whiners. That's not a very compassionate thought. Some people don't believe they can do things for themselves, and it's very hard to get out of that state of mind. It's the same with being a Christian, a patriot, a person with OCD, a workoholic, a pot head... its relentlessly hanging onto what is comfortable. A person used to comfort is going to most likely annoy a person who's used to discomfort, because they've developed different ways of achieving things. Does that mean that they deserve to die because you deem them as weak? Are you sure nature agrees with your definition of weakness? Man oh man, guy whining about whiners, I think you would do well... as possibly a pharaoh in Ancient Egypt, or possibly a Nazi.

As for the original poster... I hear you loud and clear. I wrote a similar post on here, except maybe a bit more explosive, in my first month or so on this site. I kind of agree with NoHup... whoa I agree with NoHup... awesome....

But yes, I don't have anything to live for if I don't have a dream to pursue. My dream is music. I'm making music on my own terms with my best friend, and we're trying to change things one song at a time. One show at a time. One ear at a time, ya know?

If you follow your dreams and MAKE SURE that your job and/or money never take over presedence in your life, even with what little free time you may have, I think you'll find yourself working towards achieving your ultimate goal without even knowing it. It doesn't take much effort to make what you love work. It takes patience.... and sometimes, you really gotta bite your tounge and try not to sabotage everything because, as much as money and monotony sucks, nowadays it takes a little playing into the system to get your room for rebellion against it. How can you rebel against the system when you're busy thinking up new ways to get food and shelter everyday?

People think I am for anarchy. I am not! I mention "Patriotism is kind of a lame thing" and everybody automatically assumes I'm some terrorist anarchist punk. All I ask is for people to really just think a little deeper about what it is they really want, and if they truly are getting it with their current belief system? Just to live with a little more thought behind action ... not be so brainless to just accept what happens to them, and not believe that it's just as simple as cause-effect-bam that's the way it is.

More and more people everyday are realizing how devoid of thought our actions are becoming, what with the expansion of technology and the ever increasing demand for ever increasing convenience and speed, and I'm happy for that. Moving too fast is our problem right down to the T. I conclude that, if we just took more time to think, businesses wouldn't always be trying to streamline and cut costs and improve efficiency, and therefore the atmospheres would be much more open. Less employment to manage, employees that are trained in ALL aspects of the business, more diversified workdays.... Hell, if a company would take the time and money to train employees properly, I think that's a great little start. I think an employee that has room to move around is a happier employee.
We don't need to eliminate work. We just need to make work rewarding and interesting, like they half assedly attempt to do with learning in schools (except maybe a little better than half assed).

People just need to slow down. We're moving too fast. When you move fast, you miss the details....and the details are the most important part.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by indierockalien]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by indierockalien
If you follow your dreams and MAKE SURE that your job and/or money never take over presedence in your life, even with what little free time you may have, I think you'll find yourself working towards achieving your ultimate goal without even knowing it.

I regret that I have but one star to give.....

Long ago, a very wise dude told me....."Just be the best at what you do, pay attention, and success will follow."

Be your own catalyst....I went back to school at 40. My life is far from boring or ho hum....'cause I took charge of it.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by MrPenny]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I'm going to admit right now, there are days where I stew a little. There are days when I want to throw in the towel and just run towards capitol hill with....some things in hand..... but this is where you gotta bite your tounge, and this is where you gotta struggle. You CAN'T give into your emotions. They are not reliable. I'm not saying don't trust your feelings... but make sure you think about why they are there. Do you dislike your job, or do you dislike that you got yourself into the place you are in in the first place? I mean, is your job really THAT bad?

I think my job is a nice pleasant little job, and I get along great there... but do I dislike that I didn't try a little harder a little earlier for the things I believed in, because I would actually be doing what I loved right now instead of doing just what I gotta do to get by? Of course I do! Nobody ever says they wanna work at Home Depot when they grow up. Sometimes, it damn near depresses me that I am where I am... but I'm always reminded that I did it to myself.

Now... a little less psychological analysis, and a little more encouraging of a very valid point... YES, this isn't the way it could be. It could be much better. More and more people are becoming very aware of this. Sadly, most of those people choose to numb that feeling with some sort of vice.
People don't want to work. That's why they eventually retire, if they can.

I was reading a story in my newspaper today about how young people are getting restless about just what the meaning of work is if you can never quit, because their chances of retiring within their lifetimes are slim to none, as opposed to the already aged...who, according to the article, about 64% of people over the age of 55 feel comfortable about their ability to retire. Young people are getting the message, through these seemingly grim reminders, that money isn't everything, and that work is meaningless if there's nothing to work towards. Money has been the means to an end, and now that those means are in jeapordy, people need another reason to work. People need their own reason to work, not the reason some superpower gives them. Unfortunately, people don't know what they want usually until they get fed up with wanting what other people want. It's a process, and until the Great Shift in awareness happens, job = money = means to an end = deal with it in the best possible way you can find, because one person can't change the world until the world accepts that change. In that case, the world changes itsself. So just roll more with it, I guess.

Now that we know what we don't like, let's talk about what we do like. Solutions!

Can society function if everybody is pursuing their dreams? I'd like to think so. If it can, how? Do you think enough people dream of waste management in order for that to effectively be maintained? How do we propose to deal with the menial jobs that nobody is pursuing because of their dreams?
I think people usually go "See??? It's impossible." after questions like that, but I'd like to think that we could find ways around that, if people took the issue of individual life satisfaction more seriously.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by indierockalien]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Think about animals in the wild.... they work to survive, but they know that leisure is important. A tiger sleeps up to 20 or so hours a day. That's an animal that knows how to party hearty! AHAHhahahaha!!!!!

Do I sound like I'm from an Animal Bloopers show yet?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Our life is kind of a lie though. Life is a process of doing one thing over and over, and then, learning something new, and then doing that over and over. We have some interaction, but, most of our life is taken up by trivial tasks that aren't really important. People say we need work but I disagree. I think we need to be constantly involved in activities that will keep us active so that we don't end up having redundant lives.

Whoever said that life isn't all about money is right. Those who have money are more powerful than those that don't yes but as they say- money is the root of all evil.

I believe that our society is becoming too materialistic. I don't understand why everyone wants these material objects and why they can't do without them. I think that material things are distractions to our lives and that we should focus more on other parts of our life... so... because... if we like keep using some material object of ours over and over... don't you think that we would get tired of it?

I just think that we need a change. Not just me, not just you, not just your neighbors, but, our country needs to wake up and make changse so that no one will have to experience the plight of being inactive or depressed or even feling suicidal. No one should ever feel bad about their life. They should all be given the opportunity to do something they find fun. Something that you do day after day after day stops being fun after a while.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
EDIT: Mods, I'm sorry about the double post.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Life is what you make of it, it is a journey and it is a short one. You're born, stuff happens and then you die (that's when the real fun begins). I know you changed your attitude on life by the second page of this post and I'm glad you got your head out of your butt.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Yes, stuff happens in life.

I just think that our life shouldn't be so redundant. We go to school each day... or for those that work you go to work each day. You do the same tasks, or, different tasks. The motivation for us should be to change our world. I just don't understand how people can live like this a lot of the time. I am trying the hardest I can to keep my life interesting but I see that a lot of people aren't trying to make changes in their lifestyle. I really think that people need more free time in their day.

I think the main problem is that so many people work late. If people were able to leave work at an earlier time they would have more time to do other things. They would be feeling good the day when they went back to work because they had a lot of time to relax... but... the thing is... if you come back from work really late... and work eats up your life... who's fault is that? Is that your fault or the system's fault? There needs to be a system that will allow people to work less and still get the money they need so they can get sleep and function at home and be able to take care of their family and their needs. I honestly don't see how this system works.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
In my opinion life is what you make out of it.

Sorry about the one liner.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
One of the biggest problems, maybe THE biggest, lies within consumerism. It takes away personal power and ability to create, and replaces it with an artificial version of both. I have all this stuff that people are envious of, therefore I have power and influence over them. I have all this stuff that others don't have, therefore I am unique, and expressing my creativity......... when in actuality all I am doing is giving corporations my energy because they've come up with clever marketing strategies that have suckered me in.

I would eventually feel suckered, therefore empty because my objects don't give me as much power and uniqueness, now that everyone has followed suit. My ego doesn't let me readily admit this, so I supress it, but it's always just below the surface, and my either manic or pessimistic behaviour readily reflects my unconscious desire to break free of my artificial and dead lifestyle.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by indierockalien]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join