It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demons Created All Non-Christian Mythology!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Might as well stamp intolerance on this thread I am sorry but I think that is painfully obvious.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hel seams to be the archtype of the Catholic Devil, who is further inspired by the highly fictious books Paradise Lost and A Divine Comedy. Hel was the ruler of the lower afterlife in Norse mythology, as ruler of the fiery, hot and dark place called Helheim or simply Hel or even Hell. This was where the cowards and the unhealable went; utter punnishment for vikings with no hope. The Church needed something to scare people with, they incorporated Hell into their teachings, and gave the Devil control over it (eventhough Jesus is traditionally given Osiris' position as god of the underworld). The word Devil is said to be a derivate of the Greek Diablos. Devil -- Diablos? No, the truth is much simpler. "Devil" evolved from nowhere in the Middle Ages. Now, one of the main sworn enemies of the Catholic Church were the Gypsies. Gypsies speak an Indo-European language called Romani. They can with no big trouble speak with certain Indian languages. The very word for God in Romani is "Devel". This word is what turned into "Devil". Infact, the words devel and devil are more or less the same words as Lat. Deus - God, San. Devi - Goddess. The Church thereby deemed the Romani religion and language devilish and outed the Gypsies as unclean and they could be killed and mistrated without anyone even noticing it. The main reason the Catholics wanted off with the Gypsies though, was probably that they didn't own land and didn't pay taxes.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViewFromTheStars
Hey JJ.. I'm enjoying your posts and get your last point very clearly and have understood this for myself for quite some time now. The only point I want to inject for right now is I would be careful would you attach to the Holy Spirit. If you want to make the Holy Triu-Union God an accomplice to evil, do so at your own grievous peril.

How God uses evil like a pawn and keeps His hands clean is still somewhat of a mystery to me and is worthy of a great discussion in it's own thread but I'm going to take the God of the Bible's word for it. He is Holy, period.

Regardless of what anyone rationalizes, the Bible draws a VERY succinct line between what's Holy and what's not.

This is the first time I think I have quoted myself like this but I want to clarify something.

When I stated this:

"The only point I want to inject for right now is I would be careful would you attach to the Holy Spirit. If you want to make the Holy Triu-Union God an accomplice to evil, do so at your own grievous peril. "

This was not aimed towards JungleJake..

This was aimed squarely at Neo Christian Mystic.

Hope this clears things up.

By the way Neo.. It is very un-Christian like to blame the devil for wrong doing. You see, if you truly understand the Bible you know that the only power the Devil has over you is the power you give him. SO, the Devil may tempt but YOU are the one that chooses to go along with the temptation or not and for this choice you will be held accountable.

There will come a day however where we will not have this choice, so choose now while you are breathing, while you have the choice and the chance to choose correctly.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by ViewFromTheStars]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

in 313, Emperor Constantine I officially announced his Christianity.
Three years later, Constantine, at the behest of Roman Chrisitans, led an army to wipe out the Donatist Christian sect in North Africa, who's main crime was believing that the roman emperors were the devil

They've been killing each other - and everyone else - since. You see, once you put a Christian in charge of something, they lose the "peace, love, and forgiveness" thing - granted, pretty much like anyone else given too much authority will. Add to the fact that Christians believe the end of the world and subsequent massacre of most of humanity is a great thing and, well.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViewFromTheStars

This is the first time I think I have quoted myself like this but I want to clarify something.

When I stated this:

"The only point I want to inject for right now is I would be careful would you attach to the Holy Spirit. If you want to make the Holy Triu-Union God an accomplice to evil, do so at your own grievous peril. "

This was not aimed towards JungleJake..

This was aimed squarely at Neo Christian Mystic.

Don't you know that both good and evil comes from God, who BTW is One, not triunion. 1 Samuel 16:16 "Let our lord command his servants here to search for someone who can play the harp. He will play when the evil spirit from God comes upon you, and you will feel better."

Everything comes from God. See?

Hope this clears things up.

Not really. To me it seems you lack some basic knowlkedge about who exactly God is and who his Spirit is and what his Son will do...

By the way Neo.. It is very un-Christian like to blame the devil for wrong doing. You see, if you truly understand the Bible you know that the only power the Devil has over you is the power you give him. SO, the Devil may tempt but YOU are the one that chooses to go along with the temptation or not and for this choice you will be held accountable.

There will come a day however where we will not have this choice, so choose now while you are breathing, while you have the choice and the chance to choose correctly.

Like most Christians you seem to know the devil better than you know God.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic
Don't you know that both good and evil comes from God, who BTW is One, not triunion. 1 Samuel 16:16 "Let our lord command his servants here to search for someone who can play the harp. He will play when the evil spirit from God comes upon you, and you will feel better."

You're quoting something that a servant of Saul said, not something a prophet said. That's akin to quoting what Job's friends told Job. There are moments when his friends nail the characteristics of God, but many other times they did not reflect the character of God, much less what He was doing. James 1:13-14 contradicts the assumption of this servant of the king's when he writes, "When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. "

While the Bible does not contradict itself, you have to take what is written in context. When taken out of context, the verses can be made to say anything someone wants. 2 Peter 3:15-16 addresses taking scripture out of context when Peter wrote, "Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction."

Context is everything to understanding the full and true character of God, my friend.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

You're quoting something that a servant of Saul said, not something a prophet said. That's akin to quoting what Job's friends told Job.

[...]

Context is everything to understanding the full and true character of God, my friend.

Are you saying that the ten plagues of Egypt, among them the killing of all firstborns, the Flood, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, Adma and Sebojjim, the destruction of Jerico, are you saying that these are acts off good? No both good and evil comes from God. God is not your nice uncle, he is the fearful judge who makes us tremble when he moves. The whole bible is a witness that God brings evil to the sinners and the other oponents his chosen might have. Dod doesn't tempt us to do evil? How about when God sent his Spirit to be a lying spirit in the mouth of Ahab's prophets in order to make Ahab meet his destiny:

1 Chronicles 18:19 And the Lord said, 'Who will entice Ahab king of Israel into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?' "One suggested this, and another that. 20 Finally, the Spirit came forward, stood before the Lord and said, 'I will entice him.' "'By what means?' the Lord asked. 21 "'I will go and be a lying spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,' he said. "'You will succeed in enticing him,' said the Lord. 'Go and do it.' 22 "So now the Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouths of these prophets of yours. The Lord has decreed disaster for you."

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Nicely said. I think all to many times people forget this and take parts of the bible out of context to the rest of the book or even the whole bible itself. Sometimes I think that God made the bible like that to cause trouble when people are trying to find holes in the bible... I mean, to have something that complex it would be very hard to have all the info in one little spot... every vs has its place in the big scheme of things.

reply to post by Neo Christian Mystic

No.... Im pretty sure he is saying that you have to go and look at the bible as a whole before makeing a judgment on a single part.... the ten plagues of Egypt, among them the killing of all firstborns, the Flood, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, Adma and Sebojjim, the destruction of Jerico, God had all of his reasons for doing the things he did in relation to those events. Even then you are taking those events out of context by asking if they acts of good, God had his reasons for causing the plagues - it wasnt a case of "oh... this is bad" or "this is a good thing"... it was a case of "Well... I have my plan, and the Egyptions have puished my people for too long and I need their leader to know Im real - not some made up fella" - Im not saying that Im right in saying that though, its all open for change.

And no God isnt "the fearful judge who makes us tremble when he moves" - he is our creator, our heavenly father and our best friend.... I dont know if you have read any of the new testiment but there are many times when God shows his love and you can see that though the things have been writen in those parts of the bible.
He wants the best for us, he wasnt us to know and love him - hence why he sent Jesus.

-fm

[edit on 6-5-2008 by funky monk]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
So killing thousands of innocent bigbrothers because of their king's arrogance is a good thing in your mind? We have been given the knowledge for discerning between good and evil, and this shows us God does many evil things. Whether or not he has had righteous motifs along the line is another debate.

Just read Lamentations 3:38 "Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?"

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh.

[edit on 6/5/2008 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

So killing thousands of innocent bigbrothers because of their king's arrogance is a good thing in your mind? ...

[edit on 6/5/2008 by Neo Christian Mystic]

Was it not the Egyptions themselves that enslaved the Israelites?? God doesnt just go and kill the first born of everyone in a nation just for the fun of it. He brought judgment on those people because they needed to see who was boss - look at Ninivah. God gave them a chance, he sent Jonah to tell them what God was going to do to them if they didnt turn from their evil ways - then because they let go of their ways and followed him they wernt killed. I dont you if you relise how slow to anger God actualy is.... its not like hes going to get really angry at you if you go and try go your own way for a little, but if you go and do what he tells you not to do when you know what his rules are then he gets angry - you bring judgment on youself. This is what happened to the Egyptions, they ignored his warnings and payed the price.

-fm

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by funky monk

So killing thousands of innocent bigbrothers because of their king's arrogance is a good thing in your mind? ...

Was it not the Egyptions themselves that enslaved the Israelites??

And the Israelites kept slaves both before and since. And still the firstborns of Egypt were as innocent as children have always been. The point is, and you can't evade it, that both good and evil comes on God's command. It may be righteous to kill a man, but it will still be evil. It may be righteous to heal a man, but evil not to. Are you unable to heal, are you then evil? No, but if you can and don't it is evil. Hope you can't heal, allthough we all have the ability to heal with the Spirit of God. It is still your choice and if you choose not to heal you will be judged, and unless you have a righteous explanation you will be judged and certainly not pardoned. The same would be the deal if you demanded goods for healing.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
thought id throw a few sticks on the fire

by definition nothing God does can be considered evil or bad he is after all the creator and he is exercising his will.

me personally i was raised Catholic ive often pndered these same problems and the scenario that seems to make sense to me the most is that God isnt what we think he/she/it may be.

Take the god of the old testament he (for the sake of convention) comes across as a spoilt child throwing temper tantrums when he doesnt get his own way. the god of the NT comes across more like a benevolent father that accept his child will err in judgement but accepts its all part of the learning process.

put that together with other religeons that existed before christianity that varied in lots of ways but seem to have similar underlying facets with each other. i begin to suspect that GOD or Gods were nothing more than a more advanced race and those gods who visited werent always the same person.

if the bible has any truth to it and we were created in gods image its also possible those beings were also prone to the same pettyness, pride, greed, jealousy and wrath that tends to infect our race, wars wouldnt be out of the question and the side who eventually Won came to us as the NT Christian god. you could also speculate that the conflict occured because of the way the lesser beings were being treated.

The devil/Demons are nothing more than members of the advanced race that tried to sow division or maintain their place as gods on this world after they were defeated and generally try to do so with subversive means if they come out into the open they will get their butts kicked again, would also explain the whole "War in Heaven thing"

but i think the one thing that tends to get overlooked in these debates where people are quoting this or that and generally trying to attack the christian faith by discrediting the bible is what was the MOTIVE of creating the bible?

Wether the NT is the word of god or wether it was written by a bunch of mad men with over inflated egos is irrelevant to the fact that it does have a great deal of wisdom within it and it gives us a basis for a moral code on how we should behave, Treat others as you would have them Treat you, the Parables and the life of Jesus (wether he existed or not) is a difficalt standard for anyone today to live upto and thats even if you ignore the miracles.

anyway just my take on the whole God/Gods thing.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred
by definition nothing God does can be considered evil or bad he is after all the creator and he is exercising his will.

That's the lamest thing I ever heard. Of course God does evil, like we all do evil. But don't equal evil with sin. Let's say I break a law of my country and have to go to jail. To deprive a person of daylight and social activity is evil, but the gov hasn't sinned against me, I sinned and have to suffer the evil of prison as a consequence. It's the way of law. And it's the same with God. God has given us laws to follow and live by. When we sin against this law we become subject to God's judgement. If we don't love our neighbour it has consequences in the judgement and sometimes even before if God feels he can't wait. Since the people of Sodom sinned God brought the evil down uppon them and fire and brimstone rained from heaven and destroyed the city and the ones living there. This is a wicked act no matter how you put it, but in the eyes of God it was probably rightious judgement.

Perhaps the wickedest thing God has ever done was to create us humans. God even regretted....

Or how about if you are bitten to shreds by a lion. You suffer evil, but you can't say the lion sinned for it is his nature, or a king who is above the law of a country. He can't be judged if he even sins. A good king doesn't sin and he is rightious. This doesn't mean that he doesnot execute evil but righteous judgements like prison or fines. But he doesnot sin when he execute righteous judgement.

[edit on 7/5/2008 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred

That's the lamest thing I ever heard. Of course God does evil, like we all do evil. But don't equal evil with sin.

[edit on 7/5/2008 by Neo Christian Mystic]

I wasnt going to reply... but you piss me off too much.... Good and Evil comes from our perception of the world. God is the creator - he is the alpha and the omega and so on... that means that your view of evil to God might not be evil.... all about perception.

-fm

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   

I wasnt going to reply... but you piss me off too much.... Good and Evil comes from our perception of the world. God is the creator - he is the alpha and the omega and so on... that means that your view of evil to God might not be evil.... all about perception.

Do you know that you limit God quite a bit by saying he can't do evil. After all evil is a great part of life. If you say Satan is the one carrying out the evil of this world you are a dualist and belong to a caste of believers who go beyond truth to deny God's nature. God is the God of Satan, and if God orders Satan or another angel to carry out a judgement resulting in evil with us, God orders evil. And read the last quote in my signature. Even the bible says God commands evil, it's not my opinion, it's what the bible tells us.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Do you know that you limit God quite a bit by saying he can't do evil. After all evil is a great part of life. If you say Satan is the one carrying out the evil of this world you are a dualist and belong to a caste of believers who go beyond truth to deny God's nature. God is the God of Satan, and if God orders Satan or another angel to carry out a judgement resulting in evil with us, God orders evil. And read the last quote in my signature. Even the bible says God commands evil, it's not my opinion, it's what the bible tells us.

Did you read what I just wrote? To you he might do evil.... but he cant do evil... why? because nothing he does is evil - I thought you might understand that from my last post. Like I said before, evil is all about perception.
Saten is evil.. why? because of his actions in relation to God's. Evil comes out of rebeling from God - can you give me an example of God going and commanding someone to commit evil? As far as I know he lets it happen, he doesnt command someone to do that type of thing.

-fm

[edit on 8-5-2008 by funky monk]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Like I said before, evil is all about perception.

Why do you bring in the ego when talking about the omnipresent? God is universal, and the universe contains darkness and evil. God isn't the good uncle who only is kind. He can be quite cruel and get so angry the earth trembles and the mountains are layed flat. If you say this is merely an observation of the ego, you don't know the nature of the universal and omnipotent God. He is like us subject to both good and evil. God created darkness and evil together with light and good, you know.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Like I said before, evil is all about perception.

Why do you bring in the ego when talking about the omnipresent? God is universal, and the universe contains darkness and evil. God isn't the good uncle who only is kind. He can be quite cruel and get so angry the earth trembles and the mountains are layed flat. If you say this is merely an observation of the ego, you don't know the nature of the universal and omnipotent God. He is like us subject to both good and evil. God created darkness and evil together with light and good, you know.

Ok.... let me try and explain this a little better..... Evil comes out of rebellion to God. God didnt make things evil - that came out of free will and hence its "an observation of the ego".

You still didnt answer my question.... Can you give me a vs where God commands someone to do evil?

-fm

[edit on 9-5-2008 by funky monk]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Ok.... let me try and explain this a little better..... Evil comes out of rebellion to God.

No it doesn't. If I kill a man or bully another I don't rebell against God.

God didnt make things evil - that came out of free will and hence its "an observation of the ego".

That's not true. The knowledge of Good and evil existed before free will was even introduced

You still didnt answer my question.... Can you give me a vs where God commands someone to do evil.

I've sited many places, once he even sends out a spirit even the Holy Spirit, the Ruach of God to be a lying spirit in the mouth of prophets:

1 Kings 22:23 "So now the Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The Lord has decreed disaster for you."

[edit on 9/5/2008 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo Christian Mystic

No it doesn't. If I kill a man or bully another I don't rebell against God.

But didn't he command against these things?????
How is that not a rebellion?
And are you saying bullying and murdering is NOT against your god's commandments?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join