It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alligators may hold key to saving us from almost all super bugs..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Hey guys I was watching a show called Daily Planet today and they featured a segment about Alligator blood. It appears that alligators may have survived 230 million years because their blood is very resistant to any intruder. During the segment, they showed that human blood was able to fight off 7 of the 23 samples of bacteria and viruses including the usual suspects such as ecoli bacteria. While the alligator blood was able to fight all 23 samples.

Heres an article I found on the subject, this article notes that their blood is also able to fight off HIV.

www.cosmosmagazine.com...

SYDNEY: Powerful infection-fighting proteins found in alligator blood could help fight HIV and antibiotic-resistant 'superbugs' in humans, suggests new American research.

Scientists who successfully extracted the active proteins from alligators' white blood cells have found that these kill a wide variety of bacteria, fungi and viruses. The findings were presented over the weekend at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society in New Orleans.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I think it may be a bad idea to use alligator blood to cure our diseases, who knows what kind of pandoras box it could open. I kind-of reminds me of the movie "I am Legend", I think scientist should thoroughly research the long team effects of what it could do.

join