It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Closer to Nuclear Power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Iran Tests Advance Centrifuge
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced major progress in Iran's push for nuclear power, saying Tuesday that his nation was installing thousands of new uranium-enriching centrifuges and testing a much faster version of the device.

Tehran says its nuclear program is intended only to produce energy, not develop weapons as the U.S. and many of its allies fear.
yeah right

www.salon.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I don't think they're increasing their rate at nuclear "power" moreso than it previously was. It's problematic for the world to allow a nuclear capable Iran. Not that our Matually Assured Destruction is trivial, but it is different when dealing with a regime and sect of religion that promotes martyrdom.

Without a doubt, it is truly a dangerous situation facing the world and the United States' interests(oil) in the region. The overall problem that arises is that if some rogue nuclear device were to be created it would be difficult to obtain the producer. Since North Korea already has nuclear capabilities it would be easy to find someone to blame. However, if more than one rogue state exists that possesses a nuclear weapon, then the situation becomes more problematic.

I am confident that a new administration will be able to sway Iran with politcal and security guarantees. If not, then I really don't see it even plausible for the West to allow a nuclear Iran. It would really cause a lot of problems. I am confident that it will be resolved peacefully, as a war with Iran would be just as bad, if not worse, than the current.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I mean nuclear power is only for a few countries right?

Does this apply to wind?
The sun?
Rain?

Afterall, it is powered from something that is mined (natural).

Hypothetical situation:- Iran wants nuclear arms they can make them or buy them. Making them will take 9 years. Buying them, no more than a few months.

They bomb Israel or whoever.

Everyone bombs Iran.

Everyone bombs the west.

Game over.

IMO I don't see the problem when mutually assurred destruction is guarenteed.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by amanbuthimself]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is nuts. According to the IAEA, Iran has only enriched uranium to about 4%, compared to the 90%+ needed for weapons-grade uranium.

Not to mention Iran's Ayatollahs have decreed a fatwa making it illegal for them to have nuclear weapons (which those who want war with Iran ignore, yet leap all over mis-translations from the same people as water-tight evidence).

Let Iran be. They've not attacked anyone in over 100 years. They used to be one of the west's best allies in the area, until they were caught off-guard by Condi's "Axis of Evil" speech, which made no sense at all.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
i beg to differ sir, our very own state department listed the Iran Revolutionary Guards as one of the terrorist foreign organization. They have also bankrolled terrorism thru hezbollah and has been repeatedly involved in helping attack our troops in iraq and afghanistan.
Iran is America's enemy.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by beastamerica

And the US and the UK toppled their democratic leader and put a power-crazed dictator in power. What the state department thinks of Iran doesn't matter - they've lost any and all credibility on the subject. I doubt if Iran toppled the US presidency and installed their own dictator the American people would be happy with Iran, yet the Iranian people still offered help to the US. Not to mention the billions of dollars the US gives Israel in military aid which it uses to attack the palestinian people, which doesn't exactly endear the US to muslims around the world.

After 9/11, Iran offered all kinds of help to the US. I read a very interesting article in the Economist that outlined exactly what Iran did to help, and how their powers-that-be were shocked when Condi turned around and branded them part of the Axis of Evil, just so it didn't look like the US was picking on North Korea.

The US is Iran's enemy.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

There's a reason for everything my friend.

Dig a little bit more.

Anyways, let the fools have nuclear power, so a few of their reactors meltdown and blow up then they'll stop using it. Kinda like a lesson a child learns when sticking a fork in a socket. Maybe they can contribute something useful to the global Science theater? Who knows...

Anyways, it is rational men you must watch out for, because it is the irrational ones that will ensure our survival.

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 10-4-2008 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Without causing an uproar I have to say I am worried when tin-pot nations get hold of nuclear technologies. Even if Iran did not have the bomb in its sights, I cannot help thinking about the consequences of another Chernobyl blighting vast tracts of the planet with polution.

... and yes, Iran is a "tin-pot" nation by my book. I think Iran is a highly complex and sophisticated society on the one hand, while on the other is people like Ahmadinejad and his ilk.

Regards

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Luckily "your book" seems to be out-of-touch with reality. A'jad is only the figurehead - he doesn't have real power. Being scared of him is like non-USians being scared of Bush's dog Barney.

reply to post by ShatteredSkies

So you think they're incapable of keeping one running? It's a lot easier these days than it was back in the mid 80s, you know. They have as much right to a nuclear powerplant as any other country. They're the most peaceful nation in the entire region, and now thanks to Iraq being destroyed, one of the most westernised.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If only you made sense to me.

I was unaware we were helping them build nuclear reactors for them to be aware of the latest technological advances.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
From: Director of National Intelligence- National Intelligence Estimate

• We judge with moderate confidence that the earliest possible date Iran would be
technically capable of producing enough HEU for a weapon is late 2009, but that this
is very unlikely.
• We judge with moderate confidence Iran probably would be technically capable of
producing enough HEU for a weapon sometime during the 2010-2015 time frame.
(INR judges Iran is unlikely to achieve this capability before 2013 because of
foreseeable technical and programmatic problems.) All agencies recognize the
possibility that this capability may not be attained until after 2015.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
reply to post by dave420

There's a reason for everything my friend.

Dig a little bit more.

Anyways, let the fools have nuclear power, so a few of their reactors meltdown and blow up then they'll stop using it. Kinda like a lesson a child learns when sticking a fork in a socket. Maybe they can contribute something useful to the global Science theater? Who knows...

Anyways, it is rational men you must watch out for, because it is the irrational ones that will ensure our survival.

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 10-4-2008 by ShatteredSkies]
There's no reason for it, the CIA is not supposed to over throw ANY one, thier job is just to collect intelegence thats it, after finding that out, people like you should start to do the REAL digging and see that these laws are being brocken to further some agenda. (New World Order)

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Alright chief, who are you to say what an organization completely out of your power is supposed to do what you say it is?

You want them to do what you think they should, start a revolution and over throw the current people in power because that's the only way you'll get somewhere.

Telling me to do digging? Yeah you do the digging my friend, things happen for a reason.

Shattered OUT...

top topics

join