It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westinghouse strikes deal to build US nuclear power plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Westinghouse strikes deal to build US nuclear power plants

au.news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Westinghouse Electric, a unit of the Japanese Toshiba Corp., said Tuesday it had struck a deal with Georgia Power to build two nuclear power plants in the southern United States, the first such projects in 30 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
How many nuclear power plants are there now in the States?

Do they really need more of these?

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cnm1976

Yes they do need more. It is Clean Energy, despite what people say. Sure there iis the spent uranium but that is why they should finish the facility in Nevada. And anyone who sites three mile island or chernobyl as a reason not to do this is in my opinion retarded, that was a long time ago and technology is far more advanced. NUCLEAR POWER!!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Thanks for your post. Don't get me wrong it is the cleanest form of energy. I live in Australia so I don't know of any energy crisis in the states. In Australia we have the smae problem.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I just wonder how safe it is to have a country build a nuclear plant here that we droped 2 nuclear bombs on. I don't think they would do it but it only takes one person with revenge on there mind to do it. Besides they have already had a problem with there nuclear plants. Monju nuclear reactor leakThey took the three videos off I would say for security since they were from inside the nuclear plant.But bsides the point of accidents in there history 1995. The thought of asking Bin Ladens family to run our airport security in the US 50 years after 9/11 would not be top on my list either. Somebody we droped the only two nuclear bombs ever used in war on 50 years ago I think should be looked at closer when they say they want to build nuclear plants in the US.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bakednutz

remind me again why its cleaner than say , wind turbines , or solar power?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It probably is not cleaner than those, but I never stated that. The power you get from nuclear though is far more than you will ever get from solar or wind. Those are some great alternatives but lets get real, how many solar panels or wind turbines is it going to take to power this country? Too many.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
remind me again why its cleaner than say , wind turbines , or solar power?

It may not be cleaner by your standards.

However, you can't argue that it isn't more dependable. Not only that, but it has less of a footprint that a field of wind turbines.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It's about time they started I believe they are going to build 32 in the next 20 years many where they allready have plants. We have a plant about 5 miles north and one about 10 miles south. Lots of good high paying jobs. People are allways going to need electricity. Less deaths and less property ruined than coal by a long run

mikell

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I only have one wish for this endeavor - that it be run and manned by 'public servants' who can be held accountable for disregarding safety in favor of profit.

But, we all know where this is going. Some off-shore energy concern looking for safety at the lowest cost, and pussy footing around lobbying for less oversight and responsibility, while raising prices to pay for infrastructure that was already there.

*sigh*

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cnm1976

let's pronounce the name correctly... it's not [West - Ing - House

it's We - Sting - House

now, let's follow up on the Shaw Group, ir.shawgrp.com...
who is the engineering firm that will make the project work,
the Japanese firm is just window-dressing.

Shaw will undoubedtedly 'sub' out lots of the project to Fluor Corp.
who already has a proven track record with nuclear power plants.

Any proposed plant construction must be approved,
any utility company can't just decide to build a nuclear facility and
get bids on construction...the Congress and the Gov't have several
layers of red-tape for a plant project to be approved.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
its for the greeeeener good.

Now I must drink my green tea ginger-ail.

top topics

join