It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Lungless Frog Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

First Lungless Frog Discovered

www.sciencedaily.com

Researchers have confirmed the first case of complete lunglessness in a frog, according to a report in the April 8th issue of Current Biology. The aquatic frog Barbourula kalimantanensis apparently gets all the oxygen it needs through its skin.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Its like flowers and other nature through its skin is amazing now thats something he wouldent have to work hard for. or she
but oxygen through skin wish humans were like that also

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Update!

Previously known from only two specimens, two new populations of the aquatic frog were found by the team during a recent expedition to Indonesian Borneo.

"We knew that we would have to be very lucky just to find the frog," said David Bickford of the National University of Singapore. "People have been trying for 30 years. But when we did and I was doing the initial dissections -- right there in the field -- I have to say that I was very skeptical at first [that they would in fact lack lungs]. It just did not seem possible. We were all shocked when it turned out to be true for all the specimens we had from Kalimantan, Indonesia.

Researchers have confirmed the first case of complete lunglessness in a frog. This little aquatic frog apparently gets all the oxygen it needs through its skin.

Source

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Great find. Maybe this is a frog/salamander hybrid of some sort.

I wonder how active it is and if the heart needs to work harder to keep the o2 moving to be replenished. How great would it be to have the ability to breathe from anywhere in your body?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
What an amazing find! I can't even begin to imagine what else may be out there that we are totally unaware of. I guess the sad part of it is the only way to verify it is truly "lungless" is to cut it open..

I hope it wasn't the only one, or the last one.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
Great find. Maybe this is a frog/salamander hybrid of some sort.

I wonder how active it is and if the heart needs to work harder to keep the o2 moving to be replenished. How great would it be to have the ability to breathe from anywhere in your body?

yeh i rekon in some way he needs a strong heart because its alot of places the oxygen wil lcome from ay. and it needs to keep happening.

Wierd nature i tell u just like us

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthyone

What an amazing find! I can't even begin to imagine what else may be out there that we are totally unaware of. I guess the sad part of it is the only way to verify it is truly "lungless" is to cut it open..

I hope it wasn't the only one, or the last one.

tru that imagine a specia that only has like 10 of them or something witch never remakes because it lives for a long time and suddenly thay come to find it and its like a human. wierd but also cool

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Um...there's places on my body I'd rather not breath through...

Wait...come to think of it, it would be like those movies where the hero is hiding underwater from the bad guys and he's breathing through a cut reed only here you could breath through your......um.....nevermind.

Cute frog.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
reply to post by SantaClaus

Um...there's places on my body I'd rather not breath through...

Wait...come to think of it, it would be like those movies where the hero is hiding underwater from the bad guys and he's breathing through a cut reed only here you could breath through your......um.....nevermind.

Cute frog.

hahahaha thats funny how u say it i wouldent mind being able to breath underwater would be awsome

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The Frog does not "breathe in" the way one traditionally thinks of it. It simply continually absorbs O2 through it's skin. The Heart would work the same, circulating blood throughout the system. No need for increased flow. The wet skin would significantly help in the frogs ability to absorb sufficient O2. I am more interested in how it "exhales," or gets rid of the carbon dioxide waste. Are their specially evolved cells in it's skins for this purpose and what are the cellular level details of the exchange.

In Humans this skin absorption would not work as there is not enough surface area in relation to our mass. With less surface area we could never absorb enough O2 to keep our system running. Remember, we are endotherms, or warm blooded, while the frog is an exotherm, or cold blooded. Their metabolic rate is significantly lower than ours and requires less O2.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Intresting reply there man its preety good how he does it yeh i wonder how thay get rid of it how do plants do it? i wonder wiki time

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Nice find!

The frog and the article I mean. Fascinating how there are so many wonderful creatures out there we have yet to destroy. Lungless frogs...lol wow.

Now if only nature could do the same for roommates.
No more mouth-breathing and heavy snoring through the walls? YAY!!

- Lee

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
Nice find!

The frog and the article I mean. Fascinating how there are so many wonderful creatures out there we have yet to destroy. Lungless frogs...lol wow.

Now if only nature could do the same for roommates.
No more mouth-breathing and heavy snoring through the walls? YAY!!

- Lee

Awsome find ay

yeh thats tru less snoring would be cool i nthis world maybe no earthquakes from it

new topics

top topics

join