It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptians riot over bread crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Egyptians riot over bread crisis

www.telegraph.co.uk

Egyptian families are having to get up at dawn each day to queue up for bread rations, as the country struggles to cope with grain shortages that threaten a major political crisis.

"I've been here since six this morning, it is now nine o'clock and still no bread," Asma Rushdi shouts in front of a tiny state-owned bakery in the overcrowded and impoverished area of Bulaq Dakrur in Cairo.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
As the food crisis deepens we will see more riots in places we typically dont think of when one thinks of famines and food shortages. Egypt is one of these places. Which means the Middle East itself is probably not that far behind.

www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is sad... really man.

If the bread crisis ever hits your household I hope you have lots of flour.

Self Rising Bread:
1 cup all purpose flour+
1.5 Tb baking powder+
.5 tsp salt=
BREAD ...well really flat bread but its food!

And It's probably no better than what subway is starting to advertise with their new (flat bread) campaign. I've seen BILLBOARDS advertising it.. haven't you?

After researching I think this IS a flour issue but it is ALSO a yeast issue!

[edit on 8-4-2008 by Techsnow]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
No doubt Hosni Mubarak (their president) will tell them to eat cake instead.

The food shortage must be rather acute in semi-desert countries such as Egypt. God only knows that it must be like in the Saharan countries like Sudan!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

As the food crisis deepens we will see more riots in places we typically dont think of when one thinks of famines and food shortages. Egypt is one of these places. Which means the Middle East itself is probably not that far behind.

www.telegraph.co.uk

Egypt has been at near famine conditions for a while now.. its not exactly a place I don't think of when I think "famine" .. ever since they dammed the Nile the Nile's cycle has been messed up and farm lands have actually shrunk, all the while because of heavy food imports the population expands every year, and every year the near famine conditions get worse..

Eventually the system will have to correct its self. Where there are to many Humans, populations will have to balance out.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

After researching I think this IS a flour issue but it is ALSO a yeast issue!

Its a GRAIN issue? .. Which makes the flour.. Yeast is a fungus, I have never heard of a Yeast shortage.

top topics

join