It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's up with ".ART*" images????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I keep coming across ART image files that my computer fails to be able to display. When I hover over the intended picture online, it shows as a .jpg, but, when I click on it to save it to my computer, it shows as an ART file and my computer won't show those. It says "Image not available".

What's up with that?

How do I view them.

Cuhail

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I have not run across them...

Can you post a link?

Semper

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
have you tried right clicking and going to properties and changing .art to .jpg?

might work

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
.art is an AOL image extension/file.

To see how to convert to .jpg or .bmp click here.

Hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Why does AOL have to be so difficult? In fact, why does AOL still exist? It doesn't provide internet anymore, it's browser is useless and their software might as well be malware.

USELESS!!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
AOL is worse than that. The AOL app is a giant security hole. Once someone used a cracked version of AIM to drop a file on my desktop and take other files.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Jon, this helped me not. This CAN'T be the only solution, right? Has anyone else come up with something? It's quite maddeding.

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Here are links to two different methods that should help you.

1)Open Windows Internet Explorer
Select FILE then OPEN
Set the File type to search for to .art
Find the .art file you downloaded and open that file.
The .art file will open in Windows Internet Explorer.
Now save the file BUT on the Save window select File type and save as .bmp

From there you can convert the .bmp to a .jpg file with a graphics program like Irfanview or Windows Paint program found normally Start> Accessories> Paint

2)Open with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer & or Paint & or Irfan Viewer & convert to .jpg or whatever.

3)These programs will will allow viewing from one and the other will convert to a standard format.

The ATS Dancers wish you luck:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Been there, done that. No dice. And I mean I have really tried that. AND a few other similar methods. Even saving it as a bitmap, it changes nothing. It's unviewable in Paint, MS Viewer, PhotoSuite2, IrfanView, Gimp, Adobe viewer and Kodak EasyShare.

I hate ART. files. Period. I have to screen capture to get the image at all onto my computer.

Grrrrrr!

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Try this link to wikipedia's explanation about .art files.

It seems to be an archaic practice that even IE got tired of dealing with, so they just stopped supporting the conversion. As well, there is a link to an FAQ about this problem. I tried to look up some freeware plugins for photoshop that handle .art files, but they all cost at least a little money. I will admit though, I didnt look very thoroughly. Just do a search for (-software package-) plugin AOL.art and you should get plenty of links to go through.

top topics

join