It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish Ice Cream Trucks 'a Form of Torture'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Swedish Ice Cream Trucks 'a Form of Torture'

www.thelocal.se

Selling ice cream and candy with enticing melodies ought to be outlawed because it is connected to child obesity.

The suggestion comes from Bo Sjöberg, a professor at the Sahlgrenska Academy in Gothenburg, who compares the repetition of ice cream trucks’ jingle with modern torture methods.

“Selling with enticing melodies results in poor health and serious problems for many people,” writes the professor in a letter to consumer minister Nyamko Sabuni.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
cartooncat.newsvine.com
truthfeeds.com
www.avantnews.com

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Come on now!

Is this the best thing this "professor" can come up?

The reason they play music or ring bells is to let people know they are coming by IF they would like to buy something from them!

"ENTICING MELODIES", please, give me a break!

Torture? Some kinds of music are torture to me, but just hearing an ice cream truck going by playing a "melody" should not be considered "torture".

If it does "torture" kids, it's because of the way their parents raised them and the eating habits that they allowed their children to acquire.

I grew up with the "Good Humor" truck and "Softy" truck playing "enticing melodies" my whole childhood and did not end up "in poor health with serious problems".

It should be up to the parents to ensure their children grow up healthy, not the government.

I just don't understand why people would want the government to control soooo many things in their lives and around them, including the music ice cream trucks play.

I could see a problem if they were playing the music too loud, but what this guy suggests is ridiculous!

What's next, barring all food comercials on TV? They ARE torture!

www.thelocal.se
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/4/08 by Keyhole]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Good luck with that.

Jingles have been a part of advertising since the advent of advertising.

This really shows a lack of understanding of conditioning.

As long as kids love ice cream whatever is associated with the ice cream truck will elicit the same response, as long the stimulus is not repulsive in its own right.

It would be better to just ban ice cream trucks, but I can't believe that ice cream trucks are a significant contributor to obesity, unless there are ice cream trucks trolling neighborhoods in Sweden all day long, every single day.

apc

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
They should ban them! Starting with that bastard that rolls through my neighborhood... at 9am... in the middle of WINTER! do dee do dee do do doo *clap* do dee do dee do do doo *clap* ARG. DIE! Whatever happened to the friggin' bell?! Please oh please Bring Back Duh Bell!

If this is torture for kids maybe they should lock up the parents for child abuse for not forcing their fat iced cream munching kids (paid for by the parents most likely) to go ride a bike instead of watching Tony Hawk ride his on the Playstation. I've heard of stupid legislative proposals but then again isn't Sweden the country using ultra-polluting helicopters to search for renegade BBQ pits in an effort to combat global warming?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
"Swedish Ice Cream Truck"...hmm....

sounds like something you buy from a woman of ill repute in Vegas
LMAO....sorry didnt mean to detract from the thread but just thought i would add that little nonsense in

new topics

top topics

join