It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney Could Keep 'Security Detail'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Cheney Could Keep 'Security Detail'

www.washingtonpost.com

The man code-named "Angler" by the Secret Service will probably continue to receive the agency's protection long after he leaves office next year.

The Secret Service is preparing to provide Vice President Cheney with agents, transportation, advance work and other security-related trappings of executive power for six months after the Bush administration packs up and moves out in January, the agency's director, Mark Sullivan, told Congress last week. The expected cost: $4 million.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
LOL

I think we all know why Mr. Insaney wants to keep a SS Detail around him indefinitely, even after he leaves office...And it has little to do with "terrorism"...An ever increasing amount of people are calling for his arrest as a criminal of war crimes and as a criminal of treasonous and constitutional crimes against his own nation.

If and when charges do get filed, it will be interesting to see how much he can hide behind these guys to avoid incarceration....

"We believe that it's a pretty safe bet with the threat environment we face today that Vice President Cheney will be afforded Secret Service protection upon his departure," Sullivan told the House Appropriations subcommittee on homeland security last week.

Experts say such precautions make sense. The United States is at war abroad and faces the persistent threat of terrorism at home. Cheney, a principal architect of the administration's foreign and national security policies, has been an unusually high-profile No. 2 -- and would remain a target long after his term.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I would expect that to be the case. Former Presidents receive Secret Service protection for themselves and their families for the rest of their lives. I don't think it would be significantly different for Vice Presidents.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Not according to this...The permanent SS detail is assigned only to the prez, and not the VP, unless a special directive is granted. We can easily see why this criminal would need such a directive, after all the terrible things he done.

Although presidents and their spouses are entitled to Secret Service protection long after they depart the White House, federal law authorizes protective services for the vice president and his immediate family only during his time in office. Extending Cheney's detail would require a directive from the president or a joint resolution of Congress.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Simply put, those who want to do him serious harm, will do so. There isn't a security detachment on the face of the earth that can stop a bullet.

All security detachments do are deter those who want to do minor damage, touch him, or humiliate him. Problem is, by now I'm assuming there are far more people who simply want him dead.

Does he have a reason to be so paranoid? Probably.
The reason someone fears retribution is usually because they've done something that warrants it. And Dick has done plenty.

He should be scared. I would be. It wouldn't matter how hard I try, I wouldn't be able to find and stop a sniper before he picked me off.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I definitely agree with this, but I also think this extends beyond people wanting to harm him...I think a good deal of the american population wants to see him ARRESTED and brought to justice for the way he has subjugated the law, both international and domestic, and particularly the SMUG, CONTEMPTUOUS way he has done so. His "executive privelage" nonsense he has hidden behind to routinely circumvent the laws we have in place may well come back to haunt him, and I think he is now starting to worry. I could see a mass citizens arrest, something the likes of what Vermont is proposing to bring him to justice for his crimes, since the cowardly congress, and completely corrupted Justice department won't do squat.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Such measures are not uncommon. Since Hubert Humphrey in 1969, several former vice presidents have been granted protection extensions of varying lengths, even in times less ominous than these, Secret Service officials said

Over the last 40 years, the departing vice president has been afforded protection by our agency," Sullivan told lawmakers. "Going back, the last two vice presidents," -- Al Gore and Dan Quayle -- "we have provided protection going into July of that year that they have departed, for 180 days."

Al Gore must have done something that must have required some protection after he left as VP. War crimes? Terrorist threats?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
IIRC Clinton will be the last president to receive Secret Service protection for life. I believe Bush is only entitled to protection for 10 years.

As to Cheney receiving long term protection, the source article says 6 months. By then he will have earned some real cash and can afford to get some private protection (Ex-SAS etc).

CT

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
So, how does having SS guards stop him from being arrested? Do the security guys jkust say "No Mr. Cop, you can't arrest Dick 'Shoot em in the face' Chaney cause he is under our protection."

Does it really work like that?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I cant help it! I say, throw him out there without any protection!!!

His adoring wife, his daughter, and all associated with him!

Toss him out and he can always opt to go to a cave somewhere and maybe tell jokes to Osama.

Bad Karma. :shk:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I feel he has been in the position to amass a large financial windfall. It is time for him to spend his own money. The American people could use tax dollars for better things.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Pardon?

The Secret Service is preparing to provide Vice President Cheney with agents, transportation, advance work and other security-related trappings of executive power for six months after the Bush administration packs up and moves out in January, the agency's director, Mark Sullivan, told Congress last week. The expected cost: $4 million.

''advance work and other security-related trappings of executive power for six months after the Bush administration packs up ''

So bluntly? the man most consider '' the real president '' has just won himself 6 more months of executive power? AFTER president bush has finished?

will he be involved in ANY Decision making?
what will be the substance of his meetings with KBR?
Could Mccain choose him, to be the VP?
Jesus, im surprised most arent up in arms.

We all focus on bush, but also know he's obviously a puppet..
Are we going to just allow the master to stay behind once the puppet retires?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I don't understand how 6 more months of SS protection qualifies as 6 more months of "executive power". Chances are he'll spend a lot of time in the open in the immediate future, and at least this way, we'll know he'll be safe enough to stand trial for the war crimes.

All Presidents prior to W recieve lifetime protection for themselves and their immediate family, while W and all presidents forward will receive 10 years. Which in my opinion, is 5-8 years too long to keep providing them with the service- by 5 years out, the book deals, lecture fees, and investments will have added up, and they can afford their own protective services. Although maybe it's more of a "thank you for your service" sort of gesture to provide them with, up until recently, lifetime protection, and the 10 years currently provided.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobbo

thats because certain people make ` facts ` up to suit thier adjenda

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

YES, my dear, he plans on staying and so does Bush. Its as plain as the nose on MY face.

This speaks volumes!

I'm not surprised at all- they're letting us know in "small" doses.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
YES, my dear, he plans on staying and so does Bush. Its as plain as the nose on MY face.

Oh my dear, you must be Michael Jackson then. If by "staying on" you mean continuing to exist as people and citizens, then yes. However what you are implying is impossible, irrational and an uncalled for fear mongering fantasy.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

ok - hre is a deal - if they both leave office next year , contrary to your silly ` prediction ` can we cut your nose off too ????????????

seem only fair - as you so rashly link the two

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

The Secret Service is preparing to provide Vice President Cheney with agents, transportation, advance work and other security-related trappings of executive powerfor six months after the Bush administration packs up and moves out in January, the agency's director, Mark Sullivan, told Congress last week. The expected cost: $4 million.

I find this very weird. Cheney is the same man who said that the VP isn't considered part of the executive branch. Of course he is, I rememeber this very well from school days. But HE doesn't think so - so, according to his own logic, he shouldn't be entitled to SS protection.
He must be one of the world's most evil people.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

why is everyone repeatedly quoting the opinion of a journalist as if it is fact

even bolding " executive power " why the hell are you doing that ?

if you even read it - it says `trappings of `

the trappings of power do not give you power - same as the trappings of wealth do not make you rich

[edit on 8-4-2008 by ignorant_ape]

new topics

top topics

join