It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalism, it's not just for survivalists anymore.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Interesting and disturbing that the NY times is running this article.

www.nytimes.com...

“Your safe haven must be self-sufficient and capable of growing some kind of food,” Mr. Biggs writes. “It should be well-stocked with seed, fertilizer, canned food, wine, medicine, clothes, etc. Think Swiss Family Robinson. Even in America and Europe there could be moments of riot and rebellion when law and order temporarily completely breaks down.”

Faced with a confluence of diverse threats — a tanking economy, a housing crisis, looming environmental disasters, and a sharp spike in oil prices — people who do not consider themselves extremists are starting to discuss doomsday measures once associated with the social fringes.

It brings up good points that most of us have already discussed, but there is something a tad alarming about the MSM discussing it now.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I saw this yesterday and got pretty excited. Here's a great opportunity to get paid like crazy for teaching the uppity richy riches out there.

It's a good time to me a firearms instructor, hunter, food preserver, fisherman, leather maker, alcohol distiller, farmer, just knowledgeable or practiced in any of the classic human skills that have all been cast aside for cable TV, partying, a luxury SUV and a the largely pointless modern lifestyle.

Time to cash in on ignorance. Woo-hoo!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Great post KarlH,

This is a very good article from a source we normally wouldn't see information like this in.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
They said canned food and wine. The end of the world as we know it.....

Good catch. Nice to see these thing popping up in the times. Not much of a survival mind here, but lived on a farm for a short while.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Thanks for the link to your post KH. I missed it yesterday, guess it got buried amongst the UFO and abduction posts.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Good, Karl, Star!

I've been thinking more about this lately, and trying to locate the perfect
place for such a lifestyle. Maybe Montana- 2 or 3 thousand feet above
sea level, 20-40 acres! Solar panels are a must- as well as a wood-burner
heated slab. And micro-farming with dehydrator and vaccum-seal
packaging for all the produce!

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FRIGHTENER

I have been thinking about Montana as well, or Alaska. My problem is that I will have to win the lottery first. My job doesn't translate well to rural areas so unless I become independantly wealthy, I am stuck for the time being.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   

That's too bad, Karl; I can't just flee out west just yet, either though...

I've got a couple skills that i can do anywhere- tree trimming, and sign
painting, but looking for something internet-based, which can be located
anywhere! I've recently gotten some magazines, Burpee Gardens,
Mother Earth News, Solar Night Industries, all about homegrown lifestyles.

A website i like to check out is Northwestern National Real Estate, under
acreages, and farm properties.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by FRIGHTENER

Well, I already live out west (Oregon). My main problem is that I have a family to support. If I was just hoping to get by, I could but I need to put food on the table and continue saving for my daughters school / my retirement if by some act of god we make it that long.

I really need to start playing the lottery.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   

If and when all hell breaks loose the artificial money you received from playing the artificual game of lottery will be worthless. Investment in pure SKILL seems to be a more stable currency.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yes, this is true. But if that money would afford me the opportunity to buy a large chunk of land, a house and all the accouterments, with cash, BEFORE the proverbial crap hits the fan, then it would be worth it.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Im actually looking to move from S florida to either IA TN MT or WY and make sure I pay cash for all so when the crap does hit the fan Im set. Ill stock up on a ton of food and guns and even have a little stockpile of gold as sprinkling on the cake.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Does this make me mainstream then? I may have to find another divergent lifestyle to so my family can continue to give me grief.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

new topics

top topics

join