It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists in 70's where to melt the ice caps..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
To save us from global cooling, scientists in the 70s wanted to coat the polar ice with soot so it would melt. I see all sorts of hair brained ideas attempting to "solve" global warming

But where they successful and now we are losing our Ice caps due to mis calculations from the 70's..

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by gmac1000

I think large areas of black would stick out like a sore thumb to satellites against the white.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
'mis calculations from the 70's.. '

i think not.... normal variation i think so

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Soot doesnt have to be blackened. It can be made the same texture as snow, or very close. Salt comes to mind, white ash comes to mind! Latho I do not find this claim to be very likely.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mindping

I might be wrong here but my understanding of the science behind the idea is that white (snow) reflects a lot of the thermal energy from the sun - where as the black would absorb much more... hence the warming effect.

One of the other weather modification plans was for fleets of B-52's to fly in formation releasing carbon black (soot) in strips hundreds of miles long in the atmosphere in front of hurricane's that were going to make land fall - again the principle being that the black colour would have a heating effect on the atmosphere - changing the weather pattern.

top topics

join