It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doonesbury enters the fray!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Garry Trudeau, the creater of the Doonesbury cartoons has, through the strip, put up $10,000 of his own cash as a reward to anyone that can verify Bush's account of his military service in Alabama in the early 70s.
He's not too hopeful though..

" I would think it highly unlikely that a witness would present himself at this late date - the Bushies have been looking for him for three election cycles, so he probably doesn't exist. However, if the prize does jog someone's memory, I'll surrender the money with little regret. Thanks to Bush's tax cuts for people who don't need them, I'm flush and looking for a way to give back."

Can a mere cartoon strip change the world? Doonesbury creator Garry Trudeau is putting his money where his characters' mouths are and may well find out.

Garry Trudeau has been one of the most influential and persistent voices of liberal America since he started drawing his Doonesbury cartoon strip in 1970. And yet, before the last US presidential election, he was backing George Bush.

The reason was simple. Like all satirists, he said, he was hoping for a Bush victory because "Gore's a moving target; Bush is a stable, hard target, like Quayle".

And now he is stepping up from the drawing board to take the challenge more directly to the president. He is offering a $10,000 reward to anyone who will verify Mr Bush's account of his military service in Alabama in the early 70s.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Made me smile anyway.
I don't know what's stopping just anyone who served at the time saying they remember him just to win the cash though.

He's always been a political commentator through the cartoons, but this is a little different..
going too far or justified?

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by kegs]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Justified....this recent "witness" doesn't seem to count for beans....as discussed in another thread....

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
doonesbury.msn.com...

Here is the link to all his cartoons, Doonsbury is great I regularly read his work...

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yeah Doonesbury�s great. If it wasn't it�d never have lasted half as long!

I agree it's fair enough for him to do. It's his money, and adds an interesting bit to spice to the proceedings. I'm sure though there's many who will consider it out of his 'jurisdiction' so to speak. Can't see him getting away with no flak, that's for sure.

top topics

join