It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soaring price of food 'leads to riots'

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Soaring price of food 'leads to riots'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Rising food prices threaten economic stability and could trigger riots, Gordon Brown has been warned.

The World Bank said this week that the price of staple foods has risen by 80 per cent in the past three years. For consumers in wealthy nations such as Britain soaring prices are squeezing household finances and keeping inflation up. But for developing nations they can lead to malnutrition and social disruption.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
We have already seen food riots around the world so far from rising food prices, with people even getting killed in riots in Africa and Haiti.

Along with the recent Bird Flu outbreaks and new case of human to human transmission, we have a recipe for a Perfect Mess.

I keep thinking I'm going to see some terrible Horsemen on the horizon, Horsemen of the Apocalyptic kind.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Hang on man the ride gets a lot more bumpy from here on.I hope you have some stockpiled food.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
There are so many stories about this now. As alarming as it sounds that food prices have gone up by 80% over 3 years in Europe, it isn't as alarming as what is going on with rice. It is a staple food for many 3rd world countries and it has gone up something like 300%. It went up 50% in the last week in some areas.

The top 3 exporters of rice stopped exporting so that they could feed their own people. World wide food surpluses are gone. I fear that MANY people will starve to death this year. I don't expect the MSM to accurately report it either until it is way too late and it can no longer be ignored.

I expect future reporting to only focus on the cost of food rising in the US and Europe, with only a passing mention of the billions of other people affected by this.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Looks like it's only going to be getting MUCH worse in the future...Hopefully it doesn't get this crazy in the states, but nothing suprises me at this point...

World Bank Expects more High Food Prices

Rising food prices, which have caused social unrest in several countries, are not a temporary phenomenon, but are likely to persist for several years, World Bank President Robert Zoellick says.

Strong demand, change in diet and the use of biofuels as an alternative source of energy have reduced world food stocks to a level bordering on an emergency, he says.

Source:
www.rawstory.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

I actually have. I'm waiting for the proverbial crap to hit the fan. When it hits, the Birdflu pandemic, $155/ barrels of oil, $7/gallons of gas, and food shortages I'm expecting some places in the country to look like New Orleans after Katrina, Iraq, or Mexico.

It won't be the end of the world, but it will definitely be survival of the best until quarantines, law/order and humanitarian aid is implented.

[edit on 8/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by daddyroo45

I actually have. I'm waiting for the proverbial crap to hit the fan. When it hits, the Birdflu pandemic, $155/ barrels of oil, $7/gallons of gas, and food shortages I'm expecting some places in the country to look like New Orleans after Katrina, Iraq, or Mexico. [edit on 8/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

Yep. Agreed.

And to make this more than a one-line.. I bet something will happen just in time for presidential voting!!

ETA: Hey, didn't someone say that most places could then be called the "Bush Projects" ?? Ha ha

[edit on 8-4-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Hang on man the ride gets a lot more bumpy from here on.I hope you have some stockpiled food.

You can try to stockpile your food, but unfortunately you will become the next target once the stores are all out...

When this starts to happen I'm going to take a back pack and walk off into the woods... I can hunt for my foods and live off the land... How bout you?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I told my broker 3 weeks ago, commodities (rice, corn, wheat) and anything within the MIC. Unfortunately, I was just giving him my opinion and had already moved things around 3 weeks prior
I'll just keeo my fingers crossed. Moving on, I found this thread to insert this:

Egypt's Workers Battle Police Amid Rising Economic Discontent

Thousands of demonstrators angry about rising prices and stagnant salaries torched buildings, looted shops and hurled bricks at police who responded with tear gas Sunday in a northern industrial town as Egyptians staged a nationwide strike.

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

First they have to find me and my food. More than likely though since I'm in the military I'll be in a "Green Zone" and preoccupied with restoring order and quarantine.

There will be plenty of "Green Zones" near and around US military bases. I would suspect the Shreveport-Bossier area of Louisiana will have a hefty one, considering how important Barksdale AFB is and plus the Minden munitions depot is nearby. An hour or so south is Fort Polk in Leesville. These are places where I would warn the locals to not get out of hand. The military will be helping out with humanitarian aid, but if people act like animals there are other types of "aid" that can be provided.

[edit on 8/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

It's good that you're aware of such things - but remember, we'll still have the net if this kicks off, so ATS will be available.

Personally, it seems like a good opportunity for me to experiment with escape & evasion (having plundered the food stocks of the wealthy).

[edit on 8-4-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It's already worse than we think...

Codex Alimentarius (Mandate That Will Starve 3 Billion People to be In Place by 12/31/09)

This is all part of a plan!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

For an organisation that's been around for 50 years or so, you'd think that they would be more recognised internationally...

Codex seems rather secretive, don't you think?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
This has been coming for a long time... Starve us physically, and we have no urge to resist the sudden changes that are planned. We just want our "saviors" to provide us with something to fill us.

I'm headed for the hills too. I hope I find enough like-minded folks up there.

Experience, however has taught me that optimism is often false hope.

Hope I'm wrong. This thread is disturbing. A Harbinger

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

Codex seems rather secretive, don't you think?

This is really too much. I started a thread not too long ago, "Let Them Eat Cake!

In it I examined my observations and suspicions. I saw all of the pieces coming together, but thought this was all the work of some ultra-secret society that we are always trying to penetrate and discuss here on ATS. Now I suddenly stumble across this Codex outfit, and BAM! the whole thing falls right into place.

No one knows about them, yet they are doing everything right out in the open.

I really wish I had some resources to head for the hills right now. Unfortunately, I have already slipped into the abyss of poverty, and I don't think I have much more than a decade to live at my current level of health as a reult of poor nutrition.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I had a look at the healthfreedom site you put a link in on your other thread, and to be honest i'm surprised i didn't think up that method of destroying the world earlier.

It's an idea that is usually linked in with business and stock manipulation, but this is something that requires a capital S in Sinister.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I remember that thread, and contributed to it if I recall... Followed it for a bit.

Don't worry, if TSHTF, I'm headed your general direction. Plenty of time to plan.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

Well, I'll say one thing, I think the mettle of your average ATS member around here will be a distinct advantage when it all goes down. I think most of us posess a sort of "social-nightvision." When everyone else is trying to figure out what to do, we'll be long gone, hopefully.

I know a lot of people talk about what to do over int he survival forum, but I really don't go there often because of a realization I had a long time ago.

Anything you have can be taken from you. All that you need is the will to survive.

Of course I still wish I had a fully loaded off-road capable RV. There was an awesome M109 6x6 fully converted into the biggest monstrosity of a camper I have ever seen, but I didn't have the scratch to bid on it. Wish I'd kept a pic though.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Baah... all I need is my feet, two healthy knees, and plenty of ammo. (which I have, thankfully). Anything after that is a gift.

People with their head on straight will be just fine. Poverty can be used to your advantage in a severely difficult situation.

Just think, you already know how to skip a meal. Can a person in your town that has never had to want say the same?

Life gives you lemons, adapt and overcome!

(You thought I'd say "make lemonade", right?)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

Well, the knees might be a problem. But I'll comandeer the ammo if needs be. One thing's for sure, there are a lot of people in for the rude awakening of a lifetime. At least I think I have the fortitude to withstand what is coming without shutting down mentally.

I think I'm going to do some thinking on this now. This is really real.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join