It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird flu: father infected by dying son

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Bird flu: father infected by dying son

www.timesonline.co.uk

Alarm about a flu pandemic has been restarted by clear evidence that bird flu, which is rife in the Far East, can be transmitted person to person.

This could be one of the first steps in the evolution of the H5N1 strain of avian flu into a deadly pandemic strain that could infect hundreds of millions of people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Here is one of the first clear human to human cases and could be a terrible harbinger of things to come. Cough, sore throat, and five days later.... dead.

From what I understand there is a genetic component in human to human contagion. The virus seems to now be able to infect family members from one family source who may pick it up from dogs or birds.

This is going to be an absolute nightmare if this virus isn't placed under control soon.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Actually the first recorded case of human to human transmission was back in February 2005 in Thailand.

Source

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

Thats why I said: "Here is ONE of the first Clear Human to Human cases"

I am aware there have been a few reported cases.

[edit on 8/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Aren't these cases usually in 3rd world countries where people are living with and around birds 24/7? How are they certain that the virus came from the son and not the birds that they were around? I doubt the son was isolated in his bird exposure.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Its primarily due to the genetic make up of the strain of the virus that both the father and son had. There isn't 100% guarantee though. There is a remote possibility that they both picked up the exact strain seperately somehow.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Here is one of the first clear human to human cases and could be a terrible harbinger of things to come. Cough, sore throat, and five days later.... dead.

You know, here in the uk, at least around my area, there is a weird virus going around. Cough, sore throat, temperature. I had my son off last week cos he was doing study and coursework and i heard him coughing. He didn't have any other symptoms of a cold, he hadn't seemed like he was coming down with a cold. Next day, cough and sore throat and temperature.
I was walking to pick my daughter up and was talking to my neighbour. She had it too, and so had her daughter. Went to school, chatted to my daughters friends mum, ALL her kids had had it...one had a fever so high she had to be taken to hospital.

I thought it was strange, no other cold symptoms....just straightaway cough, sore throat and fever.

Could this be some kind of bird flu?
Thats scary.

(edit) just remember one other symptom my neighbour said she had...sharp pains in her chest when she coughed. Don't know if others have had this, my son didn't.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by geek101]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
No it's just something going around I believe. I just recently got over a 3 week flu. Went to the doctor to make sure nothing was very wrong. I was told that they have had tons of people with the flu this year, a lot more than normal.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
The virus is also spread through pigs as well. I haven't researched it enough, but could it possibly be spread through contaminated meat (pork) as well?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
i suppose it's possible, but we don't eat pork so that reason is out for us at least.

oh and ragnarak....it's not the flu. No other symptoms...just a cough, from nowhere, sore throat, fever....thats it. Very weird.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by geek101]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by Shere Khaan

Thats why I said: "Here is ONE of the first Clear Human to Human cases"

I am aware there have been a few reported cases.

Yeah it was more the way the quoted source phrased it. That site ahs some really good information on Bird Flu. One of the scary articles I found also had this. It really is a matter of time before this hits us. I just hope it goes the way of the '67 Hong Kong strain.

In 2005, isolates in northern Vietnam appear to have recombined with less lethal isolates from China and Japan, resulting in a virus that is more transmissible to humans, but more difficult to detect because of primer mismatches. The Institute for Hygiene and Epidemiology in Hanoi collected 1000 samples for analysis, and many or all were shipped to the CDC in Atlanta for analysis last month. Although the results of this analysis have not been formally announced, an urgent meeting in Manila was held several weeks later. Media comments strongly suggested that many or most of the samples would be positive, and support efficient transmission of H5N1 to humans.

apc

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Limited human-to-human is not new or special. Sustained human-to-human is the concern and that has not been conclusively seen.

reply to post by geek101

Sounds like regular old flu on the tail end of the season when it's weak.

reply to post by DJMessiah

No. Like chicken, as long as you cook it, it's fine. Also like chicken, if you eat raw pork you have bigger things to worry about than flu.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by apc]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Outside of the planet warming up and killing us all through violent storms and floods, disease has to be the ultimate fear tool. People hate being sick even if its a cold, but then to die miserably because of it is just awful.

I'm not saying this disease isn't bad. I don't deny its consequences nor its credibility as a deadly disease. What I am suspicious about, though, is how truly wide spread this is. We hear of cases here and there, but on a global scale, is it truly alarming?

I'm not diminishing human life in the least bit. One death from this is too many and is unacceptable given the HUMAN, not the American, not the Japanese, not the Chinese, but the HUMAN medical capabilities and knowledge.

I just wonder if its truly as bad as it is hyped up to be.

I also question it's origins. Call me a conspiracy nut but I wouldn't be surprised if the strain has been altered. Not by nature, either.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
I just wonder if its truly as bad as it is hyped up to be.

It might be or it might not be. Therein lies the fear associated with the bird flu. It might never adapt to humans or it could do it tomorrow. If and when it does (similar strains have before) there will be very little time to halt the spread before it sweeps the globe.

If it spreadable through physical contact only it can maybe be halted, like SARS was. If it is airborne then it is very unlikely it will be able to be stopped in time without sealing off entire countries. There will always be something round the corner though, evolution means we can never stop being vigilant to disease.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Sure there is a good chance the prevelance is exaggerated...even to the point of fear-mongering. It isn't wide spread, and it's certainely far from pandemic.

But it's still a hot topic for one reason: it's a really mean virus

If, when, it mutates in a way that it is easily spread from human 2 human, it really will be horrible. I am personally not convinced this is going to happen soon. Kinda like the coming demise of our Sun... But I don't know crap about this stuff really, just basic laymen knowledge

[edit on 123030p://9u58 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Captain Tripps is just one mutation away. Then we wil use stadiums for the dead. For lack of better place to put them. Lots of napalm. It's just one mutation away. The Stand is in the backyard. MOON that spells cyanara.

top topics

join