It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Already Big Thing On The Internet: Spying On Users: NY Times

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   

The Already Big Thing On The Internet: Spying On Users: NY Times

www.nytimes.com

If George Orwell had lived in the Internet age, he could have painted a grim picture of how Web monitoring could be used to promote authoritarianism. There is no need for neighborhood informants and paper dossiers if the government can see citizens’ every Web site visit, e-mail and text message.

The public has been slow to express outrage — not, as tech companies like to claim, because they don’t care about privacy, but simply because few people know all that is going on. That is changing. “A lot of people are creeped-out by this,” says Ari Schwartz, a vice president of the Center for Democracy and Technology.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Terrific...So now not only is big brother spying on everyone like there's no tomorrow, but now Tech corps and even I.S.P.s are getting in on the act, tracking everything we do. If I had to describe one of the biggest themes of the early 21st century, it would be that we have entered the "Spy Age"...Everybody spying on everyone. Bye-Bye Fourth Amendment, it was nice knowing you.

Technology companies have long used “cookies,” little bits of tracking software slipped onto your computer, and other means, to record the Web sites you visit, the ads you click on, even the words you enter in search engines — information that some hold onto forever. They’re not telling you they’re doing it, and they’re not asking permission. Internet service providers are now getting into the act. Because they control your connection, they can keep track of everything you do online, and there have been reports that I.S.P.’s may have started to sell the information they collect.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I already posted this a few days ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just sayin.....

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Ahh shoot, you WAY beat me to it KH!

Mods, please close this at your convenience. I'm bumping back up Karl's thread.

new topics

top topics

join