It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SouthWest Airlines Doing Martial Law testing Right Now?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Southwest used to have free-for-all seating as their policy (1st come seating), but recently have changed their system. What I've noticed is some airports have this implementation, others do not, or some variation of it..

See here:

Seating. Southwest, which has been experimenting with assigned
seats, will announce its new boarding plan before year's end (2007). Kelly did
not spill the beans as to what the procedures will be, but some rivals
have generated extra revenue by charging more for the most desirable
seats — those on an aisle or near the front of the cabin.

The beeping may have been some weird supply-demand system they were testing for marketing reasons as stated above, they are experiencing with charging more for more desirable seats. Those beeped may have been 'tagged' for market study, to see where you wound up on the plane. Make sense?

More:

Open seating stays, Kelly said. But starting in early November, Southwest will make a change that will eliminate the long lines that form at the airport gate as passengers divide themselves into the A, B and C boarding groups.

The boarding groups stay, too, but each passengers will, at check-in, be assigned a number. The number gives each member of the boarding groups a position in line for boarding the plane, eliminating the need to start standing in line early.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by battlestargalactica]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
how does this boarding procedure ` test martial law proceedures ` ?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
May be the beep is to indicate a problem or status. Some one is out of sequence or a certain number of people have entered.

The reason will most likely come out in the wash this fall at the latest.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Ok starting to get questions from not reading the first post. I am wanting someone who has reviewed the actual procedure to come forward and debunk this. Theory and speculation is something I can do on my own. Someone going through the line stopping and reading a flagged record of their own might help here.

Are they segregating red flagged passengers into the last boarding groups? What software are they using and where does the red flag come from? Who else has seen this up close with their own eyes?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This is a very important suggestion :

Would anyone with a civil aviation background please tell us if there are different risk categories for different sections of the plane in the event of a crash landing?

i.e Is the tail section the safest or the most dangerous on average in a crash landing?

Would risk factors contribute to the grouping of people by the jobs they do etc? For example a Doctor might be in Group A and in the front section, which may be the safest place to be in case the plane goes down.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
This is a very important suggestion :

Would anyone with a civil aviation background please tell us if there are different risk categories for different sections of the plane in the event of a crash landing?

i.e Is the tail section the safest or the most dangerous on average in a crash landing?

Would risk factors contribute to the grouping of people by the jobs they do etc? For example a Doctor might be in Group A and in the front section, which may be the safest place to be in case the plane goes down.

Let me explain a little better. There is no assigned seating inside the plane.

Group A 1-30 and Group A31-60 are spread through the entire plane. they get to sit (as everyone does) where ever the find an open seat. Its not a commerce decision or a skill set decision, if that makes sense.

If anyone was going to stand up and say lets roll it would be me first, so it can't be ideology or belief systems.

You may also only board in the numerical number of the pass so if you are B23 you better be standing in front of the B20-B25 sign and be between B22 and B24 or you do not board, till last.

The whole thing is intended to segregate passengers who are at the gate attempting to board.

I know what I saw and my gut is telling me its not right. There is something wrong with the whole process.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
Ok starting to get questions from not reading the first post. I am wanting someone who has reviewed the actual procedure to come forward and debunk this. Theory and speculation is something I can do on my own. Someone going through the line stopping and reading a flagged record of their own might help here.

Unless you get the right person at SW Airline to talk there is nothing but speculation. Just because some one went through a line does means they will know what it happening with the new system.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

It's also possible to obtain your boarding pass online, as a lot of folks do now. This would account for you not getting the "A" line card when checking in what seems to be early.
I think you are just paranoid. I mean, perhaps Southwest took a page from the Nazi playbook, but, as I found out at spring break, flying SW to Vegas, they board planes that way because they can unload and load in record time. The stewardess spoke very highly of the process after I asked her why no assigned seats. They can unload and load a full 737 in under 10 minutes. It is merely a cost saving decision made by executives to maintain a profit margin.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

Wow, well then what they are doing makes no sense whatsoever.

Why are they segregating passengers just for fun?!

Maybe its a trial run for a system like which I mentioned in my post above?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I've flown Southwest for years - and let me tell you that this new system is MUCH better than the old "cattle call" process for boarding. The old way, I would show up at the gate 1 to 1.5 hours early and there would be people already lined up for boarding in a first-come first-served basis. So, three rows (A,B and C) full of people STANDING in line for 2 hours waiting to board a plane. It was awful. With the new system you can sit comfortably waiting for your "boarding section" to be called (much easier on the feet and legs).

As far as what boarding group you get, I am not sure how that is determined. All I know is that I have had everything from a high C to a low A.

I've got a trip planned next week, and I'll keep my eye out for the flags that you mention.

As a side note, I've been told by several frequent flyers that if you know someone in the A group, they will more than likely let you board with them regardless of your boarding group.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I would think they would spin it any way that looked good.

The reality is it saves no time and the same amount of people are getting on and fiddling around with where to store their luggage as before. Nothing has changed. I get on Alaska and it takes the same amount of time to board allowing business flyers to go first.

The spin is out there. I provided links to a couple of articles as well. They are spinning the reasons well, but they do not add up. So it works so well all the airlines adopt it now? right.

The question is why are passenger records being flagged and why have they developed a Nazi like system to sort the flagged records to the last boarders.

I requested a different boarding pass at both counters and was denied.

Like I said before, check when its your turn in line and report back. Its that simple. Some one may have examples of the software via print screen they would like to share and debunk this. I'm good with that, in fact I would like to see that. I will do as I said and apologize and ask for the thread to be removed.

Not trying to create a false panic here. We are all after the truth here and I can accept it, good or bad.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Hey, if it helps speed up boarding, I'm all for it. I don't think this is any martial law plan in effect. Perhaps their system is rigid, in that once you are assigned a number you can't be reassigned as this would mess up the rest of the assigned numbers.

Having flown recently, I can attest to the cattle drive that one experiences from group boarding. You know the drill, show up at the gate with a couple hundred other passengers. Boarding starts with 1st class, rewards customers, women and small children, business class, group 1 then general boarding by the other groups. Takes about 30 seconds for 150 or so passengers to all try and squeeze into the line despite which group they are assigned. Everyone seems to think they deserve to go before anyone else.

Personally, I like the idea. Wait for your number to be called before being seated. I can see the idea of paying more for a higher number a reality in the near future.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I wanted to add a quick thanks to everyone so far in helping to look at all the possibles that could be in play. These responses help others to get a better handle on the situation rather than just one short post that may not explain enough for everyone to understand.

Again thanks for exploring this in all directions. The logical solution would be to call and see what they say, but then if the issue is in fact true they would just lie about it.

If we see view blockers suddenly go up on the monitor screens its pretty cut and dried.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Personally, I like the idea. Wait for your number to be called before being seated. I can see the idea of paying more for a higher number a reality in the near future.

They are doing that now - you can pay extra for Business Select Boarding.

Q: How do I get an "A" boarding pass?
A: Available boarding positions will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis upon check-in. The earlier you check in, the lower your boarding group and position on your printed boarding pass. You may also purchase a Business Select fare, which enables you to be among the first to board.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Every time I fly I sit in seat C.. or D or F depending on the plane, but usually its a C seat. So I would ALWAYS be in group C because its done on seat Letter? As in inside seats sit first, then outside seats? Thats the way I understand it. I hate having to climb over people to get to Seat C, the Window seat..

And damnit, if I don't get my window seat theres hell to pay.. though I have not been accused of being a terrrrist yet. I hope I have my own profile with a little red flag that says "conform to demands of passenger"

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by stealthyone

Thanks for that link. I don't have any problem with the system. I find it hard to believe I had registered two weeks in advance and got a B group pass when most of the plane was still open, but if you can pay for A group that is fine with me. I arrived for the return trip 4hrs early due to hotel check out time, so it doesn't really hold water. Still its possible so it should be considered.

I Do have a problem with my ticket getting scanned and my record popping up on the screen with a red flag and then seeing I was grouped with others that had a red flag. I have a problem with that. If they are doing it everyone should know.

If they are not doing it and can prove what the software is doing, I will then apologize and ask the thread be pulled.

Until some one can confirm what is going on, you have a warning such as it is.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by Illahee]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This seems to be stretching things.

When I get seated on a flight, somehow I don't think that it is preparation for martial law.

If martial law is declared are they going to make us all fly somewhere on Southwest Airlines?

If so where?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Im curious how you know customers are being "flagged".

Have you seen every account that is pulled up for every customer? How do you know the red star isnt just some part of the graphis of the account page. Maybe everyone has a star.

Maybe the star means 'checked in'
And those accounts with no stars are people who have not checked in.

It is very possible there is no conspiracy here (which I dont believe there is).....and your imagination and paranoia is creating one, when there isnt one at all

Just a thought from the other side

[edit on 8-4-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

No, its not done per seat number. Heres how I think SW seating works now:

Online check ins are the first ones to check-in to the flight, therefore they get the coveted 'A' tickets, these people upon airport arrival, get on the plane first, and most likely (depending on preference) take the front of airplane seats and/or aisle (or some prefer window) seats. Basically the 'A' boarding ticket holders take first shot at the seats.

The 'B' ticket holders are next, even if you register online, you may not always make an 'A' spot. If you are checking in at the airport, most likely you are getting a 'b' or 'c' boarding pass, unless the flight is not too full. The 'B' tix holders take all of the remaining aisle seats, when those are full, the window seats are taken.

The 'C' holders are the last stragglers to check-in, they are last to board the airplane and receive the worst seating, usually the dreaded center seat. As well, overhead compartment space is limited and have to fend for themselves in finding an empty spot, or will be forced to check their carry-ons.

As said in the previous post (it's the first one on this page), the red 'flag' as you say (I'm going to call this the red ICON or GRAPHIC from now on since it is unknown) may just be a marketing gauge to poll what seats certain people end up habitating. This makes sense to assign a marketing 'tag' to people holding the 'B' and 'C' boarding passes to study where people with limited choices sit, seats that have been narrowed down by 'A' boarding pass holders (that took all the good seats).

Southwest is conducting this merely as a marketing study and assigning a marketing icon (red one) to the 'B' and 'C' pass holders.

Seating. Southwest, which has been experimenting with assigned seats, will announce its new boarding plan before year's end (2007). Kelly did not spill the beans as to what the procedures will be, but some rivals have generated extra revenue by charging more for the most desirable seats — those on an aisle or near the front of the cabin.

@ the OP:
I echo what other have said that although good job on staying on your toes (as we all should), but in this case you are over-analyzing and over-reacting to a normal situation.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by battlestargalactica]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Its a red bar that pops up about 1/2' tall and 2" wide.

I can only relate what I saw. Someone here is bound to get real close and let us know one way or the other.

It needs a close eye by more than just me.

1. I understand why we might want to flag the records of certain people.

2. I understand they are selling this as a time saver.

3. I do not understand why the flagged persons were lined up in a group other than to cut them off from the rest of the passengers, or close the door and keep them inside away from the plane. If they are dangerous its a good plan. They can't operate the plan properly though if they flagged someone like me. Now they left the guy who would help out outside because they didn't know what they were doing.

Is this an anomaly with the flight? Just came up that way? Another ATSer will report soon i'm sure. Now that a web bot can find this do they shuffle flagged people for a few weeks to look clean?

I can't say. I don't know. At least if its some evil messed up plan to corral whole groups of people who are unarmed and in a strange place with no defense well I didn't hide it.

We need to wait until we can confirm the software and flagging system before we can make any assumptions. Like I said I can only relate what I saw myself and it was only about 2 min of time total, and I was too far to read exactly what the record and flags said.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join