It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran proposes missile shield against U.S., Israel

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Iran proposes missile shield against U.S., Israel

en.rian.ru

TEHRAN, April 7 (RIA Novosti) - Iran's defense minister said on Monday the world needs a missile shield to protect against threats from Israel and the United States.

Tehran has joined Russia in opposing U.S. plans to deploy elements of its missile defense system in Central Europe to counter possible strikes from "rogue states," specifically Iran.

"If the world needs an anti-missile shield, it must be used to counter missiles and the nuclear menace coming from the U.S. and Israel."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Words flyes before missiles.

Its sad to see that many country all over the world have to follow US, and put their all energy and money to weapons because US do that in their borders.

New weapon race is going, but who get the benefits? Not peoples, not public.

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
When will this showdown begin. It will only end up in destruction.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Sadly any missile shield by them would be useless against Depleted Uranium rods fired from railguns mounted on offshore naval vessels.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I have a feeling if we attack Iran, we'll have a lot more to deal with than just Iranians. We're already overextended in Iraq, so we certainly don't need another warfront courtesy of Israel's prompting.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Were not overextended, the US Army is being strained and thats it. The Air Force, Marines, and Navy plus lots of reserves are still available.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I'm sure Israel would be heavily involved militarily in any war that broke out with Iran. Unlike Iraq, I doubt we would ask them to sit this one out. We can only hope it doesn't go there, for the sake of all the innocent Iranians caught up in the middle of it.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Well if we're not overextended, why all the hesistancy to send in more troops? We can't even control a basically disarmed Iraq, how in the World would we take on Iran who has a real army, a real air force, and real soldiers?That's assuming Russsia or China doesn't intercede on their behalf.

Maybe that's what Russia and China actually want us to do. Overextend ourself like Hitler did, then stomp us into the sand.

[edit on 4/7/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I think you're getting military conflict mixed up with policing an occupied country. We're trying to keep the Iraqi citizens happy while surgically taking out insurgents, it may not be working like we want, but we're trying. If we really wanted we could flatten any area of percieved resistance very quickly and without the slightest regard for Iraqi life and very few boots on the ground. I know people say we're doing that now, but not even close. As for Russia and China "stomping us into the sand", are you saying our nuclear weapons are overextended? I disagree, and I highly doubt neither Russia nor China is willing to commit national suicide for Iran. Especially if they're offered a piece of the oil pie.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by 27jd]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

You can't really compare Iraq with Iran. Iraq's military was defeated swiftly. Their government collapsed just as fast.

What we face now in Iraq is insurgents and terrorists. They dont wear uniforms, they hide among the people, and they are factionalized. It makes the situation quite chaotic.

The US Army which makes up the bulk of ground forces there is faced with policing and peacekeeping in a nation in near anarchy.

Iran on the other hand, will not be occupied. If any military action takes place it will be a massive air campaign. The Iranians won't have much choice than to sit there and take it. Sure they can launch ballistic missiles across the Middle East, but what will that really accomplish other than terrorizing people.

China will not be coming to Iran's aid. Russia won't either. Neither are going to risk World War 3 over Iran. I think some kind of deal was made with Russia recently in regards to Iran. Something along the lines of Russia looking the other way and Georgia and Ukraine recognized as being within Russia's sphere of influence. We havn't came down on China to much over Tibet or Sudan. We look one way, they look the other. Iran's best bet is that Hezbollah will support them. Syria has already sent the US signals that its willing to change sides if it gets financial aid like Israel and Egypt does.

Honestly though I dont think we'll do anything more than have a week long air campaign, probably after the elections in November.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Sure they can launch ballistic missiles across the Middle East, but what will that really accomplish other than terrorizing people.

They could threaten mass-genocide if the allies set foot on Iranian soil, for one.

They won't be liked for it, but it'll definately stop everyone in their tracks and force people to the negotiating table again.

I can see it now;

Bush (or Obama): "We will naught negotiate with terrorists!"
Human rights critic: "Doesn't that mean you're condemning millions of people to death and destruction?"
Bush: "What did i just say?"

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

Mass genocide of themselves? That wouldnt be very smart. If you mean others in the Middle East, first they have to invade and occupy neighbors. They wouldnt make it a few miles outside of Iran before being wiped out by allied air power. It would be highways of death all over again.

The very best thing Iran could do is continue to fund extremists and continue their support of attrition and terrorism. If we invaded its a whole other story, but there will be no invasion, None.

[edit on 7/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Why would they need to occupy?

I'm certain Iran has more than a few bio-chemical plants underground, along with nuclear testing facilities lined with lead buffers.

My point is that there are ways of stopping the mass war-machines that are the super-states of the world these days without resorting to violence - after all, we rely on the perceived threat of violence every time someone does something that we find detrimental to the interests of national security.

p.s; They could indeed threaten to self mass-genocide, even if it does sound stupid.

Trust me, they'd do anything to stop the allies from launching those planes.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Mike, I 100% agree with your assesment. In no way would Russia commit her forces against the U.S. for Iran and their nuclear power plant project (Bushehr)...Nor would China take up arms against the U.S (China's largest trading partner) just because Iran supplies them with oil...they still will even if the Tehran govt. doesn't exist any longer.

It's in neithers interest to involve themselves in a U.S./Iran squabble...in fact when you really look at the situation, its completely in their interests to look the other way...they will still get what they need from Iran...just as a door prize from the U.S. instead of having to bargain with the Iranian govt.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

I could get a grove on if they do it the Tesla way.

If Tesla did Tunguska guess what IRAN could do to invaders.

Junk those nuke reactors, static electricity is more powerful.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Its a very good idea, a logical step.
If you percieve an aggresive nation is planning an airborne attack with missiles and , then you take the obvious step or setting up defenses.

If this same perceived threat has already taken out your neighbour, and looks set on regional control, then you invite surrounding nations to starve of the threat.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
An Iranian missile shield huh?
What would that consist of, a large turban around Tehran?

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It's funny that everyone seems to think the rest of the World is just going to sit back and watch the US and Israel bomb Iran back to the stone age, then steal their oil.

I hope you're all right, because a lot of our boys will be coming home in body bags for no good reason otherwise. I believe everyone has grown tired of the US, and will put an end to our aggression this time.

Russia has just as many nukes as we do, and China could lose 3x the number of troops we have, and not even miss them. Wars also costs money, and if you haven't noticed, we're about broke.

And since it's mostly about oil, nobody will idly stand back and let us take control of two of the largest oil deposits in the World.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

People adapt to strategies as they come. For instance, face to face combat with US soldiers was not smart for the insurgents therefore they went to gorilla style fighting and suicide bombers. Iranians could easily equip mass Iraqi's with weapons, and Hezbollah as well to kill even more soldiers in Iraq. They can bring people into the US to cause mass civilian casualty.

When another 9/11 happens people will wonder why it happened, and well you need not look further. Israel is starting wars so the US can fight these wars, but there are ways other then wars which both countries have not found yet.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Tesla was a brilliant scientist who made some great discoveries, but if half the superweapons he supposedly built were real, there wouldn't be life left on this planet by now.

Iran and Russia should be openly allowed to build a missile shield against the U.S. Just as they finish up spending a few billion dollars on the thing and get it operational - probably about 20 years from now if you look at the progress on their other joint ventures - we should be fully graduated to using lasers and rail guns.

But hey, at least they'd be safe from Israel's missiles...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join