It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cow-human cross embryo lives three days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Cow-human cross embryo lives three days

www.news.com.au

HUMAN-cow embryos have been created in a world first at Newcastle University in England, hailed by the scientific community, but labelled "monstrous" by opponents.

A team has grown hybrid embryos after injecting human DNA into eggs taken from cows' ovaries, which had most of their genetic material removed.

The embryos survived for three days and are intended to provide a limitless supply of stem cells to develop therapies for diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and spinal cord injuries, overcoming a worldwide shortfall in human embryos.

Dr Teija Peura, director of human embryonic stem cell laboratories at the Australian Stem Cell Centre, said somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT) had been done between animal species, but the "99 per cent human" embryos could boost research.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It's a great thing to cure diseases. I just hope they are careful.
It does say... "Under the license, embryos are not allowed to be developed beyond 14 days. "

Reminds me of the Minotaur legends...

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/7/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I watched this and had a good laugh. One thought came to mind though, this sounds like Scientology.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Tis' the stuff of my nightmares.

*thinks for a moment*

I don't live too far away from Newcastle Uni, what do you think are the chances of my getting a statement from the people in charge of the project?

edit; assuming of course, that i go in person.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This worries me, a lot.

We still do not have a complete understanding of the role of DNA. Oh, we've mapped the human DNA, to be sure, but we cannot yet read more than a tiny portion of that map. Even what we can read, we cannot be sure we are reading completely or correctly.

The human mind is also a mystery to science, We can map out energy transfer and electrical activity, and we have identified most (possibly all, no way to be sure yet) of the chemical transmitters used. But we cannot pinpoint a thought, read a thought, or even predict when a thought will occur. In the strictest scientific sense, we have no idea even of what a thought is.

We do know this: humans are self-aware. Humans have a personality and are capable of overriding any Pavlovian responses learned. Humans appear to most people to have something called a 'soul'. No one I have heard has any scientific basis of defining what that soul is or how it works, but it seems to be a self-evident truth that one exists.

One of my research projects is in the area of artificial intelligence, specifically attempting to emulate an animalistic brain electronically. I have done much research and so far, the best explanation I have for the operation is that all brains are, at their most basic level, Pavlovian in nature. Thusly, without more evidence to contradict it, I have to acknowledge the existence of something more in humans - the soul. I have no concept in my research of what it is or how it works, only that it must exist.

Before someone decides to think of this research as Larry the Cable Guy playing with light bulbs, I have developed a process by which a primitive brain could be built. The problem now is developing two solutions: 1) the circuitry must be miniaturized to an extreme level to make the physical size manageable. This is complicated by the necessity of either large capacitors (physically large) or a high degree of A/D/A converters, which will increase complexity as well as size and cost. 2) The cost at this point in time is prohibitive. I am preparing documents now to present to potential investors. Once this is completed, I may post it here, or at least link to an online copy of it. Nothing more will be published concerning this until that time. Sorry, but patent rights must be maintained.

But since we have no thorough knowledge of the human mind, some evidence of something called a soul, which itself has not even a scientific definition, precious little knowledge of DNA's complete operation in animals, why are we jumping forward to this type of cross-breeding? Stem cell research is now easily done using stem cells found in adult humans and which can be safely removed with no obvious detriment to the donor. These adult stem cells are said by scientists using them to be superior to those captured from aborted embryos, and therefore would be much superior to those captured from harvested cow-human hybrids!

When, oh when, will we respect the sanctity of human life? When, oh when will we honor the scientific method by practicing it, as opposed to trying to circumvent it for some personal political agenda?

Perhaps when we resurrect the fabled Minotaur? Or do we wait to be eaten by it?

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

On Artificial intelligence, I studied computer science as well. In my research into artificial intelligence the one thing computers fail at consistently is lateral thinking.

Here is an example where a computer always fails but a human can figure it out.

What am I describing in the following story?: "A man is running home in a hurry, when another large man jumps out in front of him blocking his path. The man running home reverses course back to where he came from."

A computer can never get it. It requires lateral thinking...

What is described is a baseball game.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Don't genetic experiments like this, cross polinating between species, just make the already thin wall between virus transmissibillity between animals and humans all that much thinner? How many diseases are floasting around out there that affect animals but not yet humans, or humans and not yet animals? What's going to happen when these biologists playing God with their little vails and tubes suddenly unleash a human transmissable form of parvovirus, or even worse one of the many different forms of influenza that still haven't managed to mutate to be dangerous to humans? We seem to be screwing ourselves right now.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I would think so. The Mayo clinic thinks AIDs possibly formed this way.

Mayo researchers observe genetic fusion of human, animal cells -may help explain origin of AIDS

Mayo Clinic genomics researchers are the first to demonstrate that mixing of genetic material can occur naturally, in a living body. The researchers have discovered conditions in which pig cells and human cells can fuse together in the body to yield hybrid cells that contain genetic material from both species and carry a swine virus similar to HIV (the virus that causes AIDS) that can infect normal human cells.

www.eurekalert.org...

Also interesting...

Viruses Found Transmitting Genes Among Bacteria
Like tiny mail-carriers, viruses are able to carry packages of genes around the world, delivering the keys of evolution to other organisms.

This finding comes from a new study of the viruses and bacteria found in nine distinct locations on Earth (such as mines, ponds, oceans, reefs and even human bodies) and sheds light on the complex power swaps among viruses called phages and their bacterial hosts.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I read things like this and wonder 'just what are they thinking when they do things like this?'

It is frightening...and so crazy.

Why?? What is the point to it?

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Seriously you guys, get a grip. A cow has 60 chromosomes and a human has 46 it is impossible to create a hybrid between the two without splicing genes in.

They are taking the egg, removing the cow genetic material and replacing it with human. Think of it more of a transplant than a cross and you won't then be prone to erroneous flights of fantasy.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

That is the basis of my research. Digital data processing can never emulate a brain because it is not designed to.

reply to post by Shere Khaan
If the result is human, then it is illegal and immoral, a very transparent attempt to sidestep laws against using human fetuses grown simply to be harvested for their stem cells. If the result is not completely human, my position stands.

Either way, this is wrong.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Future of genetic engineering - by Futurist Dr Patrick Dixon

new topics

top topics

join