It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

He WALKED half way around the world. now it is our turn.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I recieved this email, and with all the b.s. that goes on in the world today I wanted to share something that was actually news worthy. PLease share with as many people as you can for this noble cause.

I just came in contact (he just so happened to stop here close to the end of his journey) with a clean cut, well educated fellow that has WALKED half way around the world. He started May 2, 2007 in Greece, followed an "arch" path, and ended up in Portugal hitting eleven countries on the way. He then bought a ticket to fly across the Atlantic Ocean pulling into port at Virginia Beach. Continuing his trek, starting with his feet in the Atlantic Ocean, he traveled through heartland America until he hit the Pacific Ocean in Ventura, CA., before heading his way home to Seattle. His name is Luke Wilbanks. He unofficially did this for a non profit organization by the name of World Vision. He sold everything he had (including giving up his $35/ hour job and leaving his long term girlfriend to accomplish this feat). He has a blog on his myspace talking about some of the hardships and joys that have come his way during the undertaking (and believe me they are remarkable). You can look it up at www.myspace.com/walking4. The ultimate goal here was to sponsor as many starving children in Africa as possible. He requested the pictures and names of specific children to carry in his 60 lb. backpack, from World Vision, to show people while walking. Since entering America he has accomplished 25 sponsors for these children. Every penny goes to the World Vision N.P.O. and nothing for himself what-so-ever.

In helping with this effort there will be a fund raiser for the cause Mr. Wilbanks has so diligently worked for, here at the Cafe. It will be held on April 24th from 6-9p.m. Mr. Wilbanks will be there to share some of his stories and speak with anyone else willing to help this noble venture. Davey Miller will again be offering his musical services for free AND donating a painting to be sold where all proceeds go directly toward World Vision, specifically for these starving children. Mr. Wilbanks has been the catalyst for this effort. The more people/money and awareness we can generate the more productive this will be. Again, ALL moneys made will go to World Vision. Mr. Wilbanks has refused to take anything for himself. Pretty damn amazing.

Please be on the lookout for the flyer. It will be spread around town at different locations. If you would like to help in the effort please drop by the Sunset Cafe on Main street and Catalina. If anything, please forward this email to as many people as possible. Any other help you are willing to offer will be more than appreciated.

I hope this helps to ring some bells in peoples heads. It is time to do SOMETHING.

join