It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
My Habs are playing like crap. Biron is playing well and Montreal keeps missing open nets. I hope they can come back and win game 4, or else it's all over.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
STARS UP 3-0 BABY!!!!

Just one more!! Then it is (probably) hello Detroit!

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Congrats to the Flyers. They won fair and square. The Habs had their first streak of bad play this season, coming at the worst possible time.
But, it was a good year for the Habs. Something to build on, and we'll be back next year.
Hmm, who am I going to cheer for now? I think I'd like Crosby to win a Cup so Go Pens!

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
What a great win by Dallas! I'm guilty of not staying up for the whole game. I stayed up until the end of the 3OT. I learned my lesson last year when they went to 4OT against the Canucks only to lose. Thankfully it turned out better this time.

I was scared that they were going to let the Sharks push it to a Game 7. In Game 7, anything can happen. The first 6 games mean nothing. The 3-0 start means nothing. And it would be after those 4 overtimes, and it would be in San Jose. Although Dallas has played well there, after being tired from the overtimes, the fans may make the difference.

But none of that matters now. Its on to Detroit.

Dallas has to play with more of a sense of urgency, even when they're winning or up in a series. For most of those last three games, it looked like Dallas didn't even want to close out that series. San Jose was the hungrier team. They can't do that against Detroit or its over quick.

I think they'll lose Game 1 just considering how tired they'll probably be, even though its on Thursday. They'll be fine as long as they can steal Game 2.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Go Stars!

Can I exchange my Mavs tickets for Stars tickets?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs

[color=#D20A12]2008 EASTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS - ROUND #1

[color=#EFE4A1]#2: Pittsburgh Penguins
[color=#F15A23]#6: Philadelphia Flyers

Game 1: Friday, May 9, 2008 at 7:30 PM: Philadelphia at Pittsburgh - VERSUS, CBC
Game 2: Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 7:30 PM: Philadelphia at Pittsburgh - VERSUS, CBC
Game 3: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 7:30 PM: Pittsburgh at Philadelphia - VERSUS, CBC
Game 4: Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 7:30 PM: Pittsburgh at Philadelphia - VERSUS, CBC
Game 5: Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 3:00 PM: Philadelphia at Pittsburgh - NBC, CBC
Game 6: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 7:30 PM: Pittsburgh at Philadelphia - VERSUS, CBC
Game 7: Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 7:30 PM: Philadelphia at Pittsburgh - VERSUS, CBC

If Necessary
All Times Eastern Standard Time

[color=#07156B]2008 WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS - ROUND #1

[color=#D20A12]#1: Detroit Red Wings
[color=#037029]#5: Dallas Stars

Game 1: Thursday, May 8, 2008 at 7:30 PM: Dallas at Detroit - VERSUS, TSN
Game 2: Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 7:00 PM: Dallas at Detroit - VERSUS, CBC
Game 3: Monday, May 12, 2008 at 8:00 PM: Detroit at Dallas - VERSUS, TSN
Game 4: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 8:00 PM: Detroit at Dallas - VERSUS, TSN
Game 5: Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 1:30 PM: Dallas at Detroit - NBC, CBC
Game 6: Monday, May 19, 2008 at 8:00 PM: Detroit at Dallas - VERSUS, CBC
Game 7: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 7:30 PM: Dallas at Detroit - VERSUS, CBC

If Necessary
All Times Eastern Standard Time

Predictions

I was 4-0 in the second round! So I'm 8-4 these playoffs.

Pittsburgh over Philadelphia
Dallas over Detroit

Yeah, I'm a homer. Sue me.

GO STARS!!

[edit on 5/6/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Pittsburgh holds a 2-0 current series lead, unsuprisingly, over Philadelphia. I doubt that the series will end up being a sweep, but with the way the Pen's are playing right now, it very well could be. It will be interesting to see how the Flyers respond on home ice.

Detroit has a 2-0 series lead on Dallas. Dallas looked a lot better in game 2, but Turco really doesn't like to win at the Joe does he? After the 4OT game(got home from Iron Man, went to check the score and got to see an entire game, like I didn't miss anything at all) Dallas can use that one excuse for losing game 1. I actually would like to see Dallas win the series because I can't stand Detroit, but I don't see it happening. Detroit is currently has a 9-0 streak going which is rather impressive.

I'm not faring so well in my predictions this year. I have won some money(thanks to the Habs going down in 5, haha) but thats hockey for ya.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kronik98
but Turco really doesn't like to win at the Joe does he?

I don't think these two losses are his fault.

The first game they were just kind of standing around, not forcing themselves in to Detroit's zone, not getting really any scoring chances. And on the defensive end, it was like they just let the Red Wings screen Turco. No one would go up and knock Holmstrom, or any of those guys screening Turco, out of the way.

Like you said, that first game could possibly be pinned on that 4OT game. But still, a loss is a loss.

The second game, two words: MISSED OPPORTUNITIES!!!

They looked alot better. They were moving the puck, getting scoring chances, but they missed the net FAR too much. They did the same thing in Game 6 against the Sharks. That game shouldn't even have gone to OT, but the amount of times they missed the net on good scoring chances was just incredible.

I don't know if they're focusing too much on other aspects of the game and not enough on shooting practice, but they need to start getting better at putting the puck in the net or this series is over quick.

Its like free throws in basketball. If you don't make your free throws, you're not going to win. The Stars are doing hockey's equivalent of missing free throws by missing open scoring chances. You can't do that and expect to win, especially against the #1 seed who is 10-2 in the playoffs and on an 8 game winning streak.

Game 3 is tonight at 8. If Dallas wins this, they're fine going in to Game 4. If they lose, this series is over. They should consider this and Game 4 must wins, because letting Detroit take anything in Dallas would be disastrous.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Just awful.

I don't even know who was in net for Dallas tonight. That wasn't the Marty Turco that was in net for them the first two rounds. That was the Marty Turco that lost in 5 games to Colorado in '05-'06.

I don't think the first two games were his fault, but this one was. It wasn't even about the five goals he allowed, although that played a role. It was his technique, the way he set up in net, the way he played the puck - he didn't play his game. Clearly Detroit has gotten in his head.

I could be like a Sharks fan and say "EVERY 33 YEARS!!!!!11," but I'm not an idiot. This series is over.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
So...

The Pens and the Red Wings are both up 3-0... right....

Thats a good Stanly cup. Right?

Sidney Crosby and the Red Wings...

I hate Hockey, but i might even tune in on TV to watch some of that.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Dallas will win tonight and then its over.

I say Pittsburgh sweeps Philadelphia.

Pittsburgh in 7 over Detroit.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I think they played well tonight.

Of course, I'm still hoping. But I just don't see them coming back from this.

I thought that disallowed goal should have been a goal by the Red Wings. I don't think it was goalie interference. But then again, the goal they got, that counted, in Game 1 (I think), was goalie interference and I don't think it should have counted. So, justified make up call.

Anyways, here's to hoping that Dallas wins in 7

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Looks like Philly came to play tonight. 3-0 late in the 2nd. I guess that series may be going to a Game 5 as well.

I have a feeling both series will end at Game 5. Lets hope I'm wrong with the Western Conference one.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I almost think that both Pittsburgh and Detroit phoned in those games to take their series at home(Detroit is less likely due to that horribly blown call on the goal) Each series is a mirror image of the other right now.

The refereeing has really been up and down this year, and I think it's because they have to rely on video replay too much. I think that it really needs to be set up like football, a call is made on the ice and if the coach decides to challenge then it goes upstairs. If the challenge is won, call is reversed but if challenge is lost then the challenging team loses a timeout. No challenge the call on the ice stands right or wrong. Thats the only way I see it being fair.

I predict both series to end this weekend setting up what may be the most interesting final in a while.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

(Detroit is less likely due to that horribly blown call on the goal)

You know, its not only a horribly blown call when poor Detroit is victimized. Everyone is talking about how bad that call was, but what about the play in Game 1? The play where Holmstrom was actually bumping in to Turco, impeding a save attempt, the puck goes in the net and its counted a goal.

Yet no one talks about that. Its only when the mighty Red Wings get a bad call going against them.

Believe it or not, the "top teams" in the NHL can get some bad calls going their way as well.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

The play that you refer to was also a horribly blown call, but didn't play into my thoughts on game 4 in particular. I am in no way a fan of Detroit, and would actually like to see Dallas take the next game, but the fact doesn't change that that was a goal and the ref blew the call.

I really didn't like hearing the commentators saying how it seemed like it was a disallowed goal to make up for the mistake in Game 3 where they allowed an obvious goalie interference call not to be made. You can't do that kind of thing. A blown call is a blown call(and as a Leafs fan, I know a thing or two about blown calls)

Game 6 in Dallas, I think this may go 7 now since the Dallas team in Games 1-3 have been replaced by a real team. We'll have to see.

Pittsburgh goes in about 2 and a half hours, should be the end of this series today.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Big win by the Penguins, no effort from the Flyers, and when they did show a little jump, Fleury was there to take care of it.

Bring on the Wings.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Bring on the Wings.

Although I'm fully aware and expecting the Stars to lose the series, last time I checked it is the Best of 7. Not the Best of 5.

You've said you're a Leafs fan, so even though you most likely were not alive at the time, you should know full well it can be done.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Awesome effort from Dallas. *applause*

I almost forgot for a minute that this was Game 6 in the Conference Finals with how they were playing. I was confused thinking it was a pre-season game.

They should have just let it end in Game 4 or Game 5 if they were going to come out and play like they didn't want it.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I know it takes 7, but why not call a sure thing when you see one.

I didn't get to watch the game due to work, but I hear that Dallas didn't put up the same effort this time as they did the last 2 games. the highlights seem to support this as well. Too bad, I wanted Dallas to beat up on Detroit for at least one more game.

So it's now set. Detroit vs Pittsburgh for Lord Stanley's Cup.

I call Penguins in 6.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join