Corporations and You!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
I think the mass media is supporting the censorship of its shows...

There has been alot of media attention over the "super bowl boob" but who really is doing the complaining??

I for one do not think it was the majority of the american people that are complaining..I believe it is a select few that have alot of leverage with the govenment and media that have pushed this issue as far as it has gone.

Id have to disagree, the CEO of Viacom testified on the Capitol Hill last week that complaints were rare and usually unjustified, and yet the number of complaints the FCC received this year were 2.5 million, compare that two 2001-2002 which only generated 56,000 complaints. I think that people are becoming anry with the scary beast that mass media is but its being misdirected by morals and evangelists. I think people should be a lot more pissed off that 99 percent of TV is run by only six or seven companies, it would make you realize why the quality of programming has dropped so sharply over the years and why advertising is at an all time high.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
So is the Comcast Disney deal dead or what?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
if you want good reads on anything concerning this..... go to:
Crimethinc.

but my opinion is that this is so true...just today i was talking to this guy who was like all talking about all the stuff he does at school and what hes gonna do....

me- so all you do is school? that sucks man

him- well that way i wont be throwing my life away and ill be able to get a really high paying job [insert salary here, i was so disturbed i dont remember the rediculously large number]

me- and then what? all you will do is work?

him- well id like to own a house in hawaii or jamaca instead of some people who will throw their lives away and always struggle with money

me- or you could just go there, live off the road, and actually LIVE instead of just valuing your life by money

im distressed that this is happening to people....this kid was 15...the same age as me......

he was the all american boy

the american dream....

oooooooooo dont even get me started on the american dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i could make a whole new forum on that!

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the link dude.
Yeah I totally agree with this influence on kids to like spooge their pants about GPAs and Honor Societies and crap like that when the diry secret is that everyones getting jammed into college , smart and dumb, so the extra effort doesnt ammount to bull in the long run cause your bachelors cant help anything anymore, you need a masters. And this links back to an interesting topic, whos demanding people get masters now? the corporations?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
2.5 millions complaints out of how many veiwers???? 250 million??/

whats that??? 2.5%

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
holy crap man,

agent, youre gonna love crimethinc.

NO GODS, NO MASTERS.

go to the reading library and check out Days of War, Nights of Love.

the actual book is even better, great pics. my personal favorite is one of this naked woman that has gone insane and shes covered in blood and sweat screaming in front of these flagposts and at the bototm the words:
i awoke in a sweat from the american dream.

theres also a great section called Why I Love Shoplifting from Big Coorporations

AHHHHHH THER AMERICAN DREAM IS MORE OF A NIGHTMARE

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
2.5 millions complaints out of how many veiwers???? 250 million??/

whats that??? 2.5%

I know its not a large chunk of the population McGotti but it still is a tremendous upswing from before. I fear censors as much as you do but I think that something needs to be done with what is streaming down those big cable lines. Think of how easy it will be for corporations to cover up mistakes/crimes/problems if they control the outlets that would cover them. You have to agree that there should at least be one News Source on TV that is 1000% independent and owned by no one. And the stuff that mass media puts on about mass media is usually suger coated pieces about obscure ownership battles, people are getting more ignorant and the people are growing. The internet cannot be the only refuge for real news.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Corporations want employees that can do their jobs well enough to make that of others useless. Basically, they want as few employees to pay as possible. The more that you can prove this, the more valuable you are to them.

If a person that has a masters can do twice the work of one with a bachelors, they'll jump on the guy with the master's.

It is also a matter of qualifications- companies are doing a lot more complicated things than they used to For example, marketing is as much law as mathematics now, so corporations demand more. a person who can do both might just put another employee out of a job.

Efficiency and cost cutting to the maximum allowable limit are what they are after.

DE

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Query- What happens when robotic technology gets more advanced?

In the book "Bodyguard" by William C. Dietz, one of the main concerns is that megacorporations replace most of their workers with robots, seperating the line between rich and poor even further. Makes me a little concerned, as a great deal of people are emplyed in number crunching or "grunt" jobs, which seem to be largely repetitive (and therefore able to be targeted by such efficiency mongers).

What think ye?

DE

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
you want great stuff on censorrship,

FARENHEIT:451 all the way buddy

in the coda, bradbury said that alot of different places wanted to print his book (parts of it that dealt with what they wanted people to see) inb their publications.

he turned every single one down, even from places he was a part of.

censorship isnt only erasing or hiding something, its also picking out certain parts.....only the parts that you want someone to see...

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Query- What happens when robotic technology gets more advanced?

In the book "Bodyguard" by William C. Dietz, one of the main concerns is that megacorporations replace most of their workers with robots, seperating the line between rich and poor even further. Makes me a little concerned, as a great deal of people are emplyed in number crunching or "grunt" jobs, which seem to be largely repetitive (and therefore able to be targeted by such efficiency mongers).

What think ye?

DE

I think its scary how much "grunt" jobs are overseas, where of course as we all know the cost is cheap. But like call centers for some of the tech firms are the size of an airport terminal, I know its better than a machine but at the same time, think of all those jobs that could go to Americans.

Anyways, DE, arent companies already employing robots in the first place, specifically in America where instead of hiring expensive labor, companies have been installing automated systems to perform the tasks previously accomplished by factory workers? What happens to all the people who lose there jobs to robots, do they just become more of the unemployed impoverished masses? I smell a seething under belly of anger for corporations if they start implementing even further methods of automation.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I think this sums up our situation:

...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL
Halls of justice painted green
Money talking
Power wolves beset your door
Hear them stalking
Soon you'll please their appetite
They devour
Hammer of justice crushes you
Overpower

The ultimate in vanity
Exploiting their supremacy
I can't believe the things you say
I can't believe, I can't believe the price you pay
Nothing can save you

Justice is lost
Justice is raped
Justice is gone
Pulling your strings
Justice is done
Seeking no truth
Winning is all
Find it so grim, so true, so real

Apathy their stepping stone
So unfeeling
Hidden deep animosity
So deceiving
Through your eyes their light burns
Hoping to find
Inquisition sinking you
With prying minds

The ultimate in vanity
I can't believe, I can't believe the price you pay
Nothing can save you
Justice is lost
Justice is raped
Justice is gone
Pulling your strings
Justice is done
Seeking no truth
Winning is all

Lady Justice has been raped
Truth assassin
Rolls of red tape seal your lips
Now you're done in

Their money tips her scales again
Make your deal
Just what is truth, I cannot tell
Cannot feel

The ultimate in vanity
I can't believe, I can't believe the price we pay
Nothing can save us

Justice is lost
Justice is raped
Justice is gone
Pulling your strings
Justice is done
Seeking no truth
Winning is all

Seeking no truth
Winning is all

Words and Music by James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett
Copyright 1988 Creeping Death Music (ASCAP)
International Copyright Secured All Rights Reserved

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Thats just justice though, unless your saying that justice for corporations is gone. Im afraid of justice being stripped as I am of our ability to weild power as consumers.

Oh and another thing, were not realizing that even if you take America out of the equation, the WTO and its corporate sponsors will still be able to take over in other places. Like China. The ammount of potential in China is amazing, few know that it is already superceding many Western European countries in economic superiority.

[Edited on 27-2-2004 by Agent47]

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I was just surfing the news and I just read that the British Government is considering taking away the BBCs public funding. In the UK, anyone who ones a TV must pay roughly 200 dollars to the government in order to fund the BBC's public broadcasting. The reason I decided to put it into this thread is the fact the government is considering this because the BBC is "losing ground to more private broadcasters". "Private Broadcasters" = Big Corporations ala Viacom. Is this the next step to complete privatization of the airwaves? If big corporations find that they cannot own PBS or in the UK the BBC then will they just put enough pressure on governments to recind public funding of the programs. You can argue the bias of the BBC all you want but you must admit, any public funded organization wont be as biased as a Mega Corporation censoring the news in order to protect its own interests.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Bueller..........bueller..............bueller. McGotti...where you gone? DE I asked you a question about robots.......anyones invited to add to the rant.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
Thats just justice though, unless your saying that justice for corporations is gone. Im afraid of justice being stripped as I am of our ability to weild power as consumers.

But they're talking about how money and greed(corporations) have corrupted justice so the corporations can be the "winners".

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
im sure the reason the blair government would like to privatise the bbc is due to the whole andrew gilligan/david kelly affair, and of course to save the pride of aliaster campbell. i doubt it will happen though.
the bbc has too much popular support, especially after hutton.

its strange to think that although the bbc is financially at the mercy of the state, governments for decades have believed that the bbc had an agenda hostile to them. i suppose it shows that government is scared of a internationally respected news organistion with (arguably) no particular political agenda.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Okay, back.

1. Robots

Indeed, many jobs are becoming automated, but it's msotly here in the western world. it's when it gets to places like CHina that I'm worried.

Once a lot of people are out of jobs, it'll feed teh resent all right. However, the people will be effectively powerless to fight it. No money means no guns, no food, no property...the concern will be on getting by day to day.

2. The BBC

In America, PBS has many corporate sponsors, and that hurts the quality of the programmign some. I have yet to see a bad show come out of the BBC- and that's federally funded (not sure about corp sponsors, tho). The BBC is how television SHOULD be done. However, it's jsut not economically feasable.

DE

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by bolshevik
im sure the reason the blair government would like to privatise the bbc is due to the whole andrew gilligan/david kelly affair, and of course to save the pride of aliaster campbell. i doubt it will happen though.
the bbc has too much popular support, especially after hutton.

its strange to think that although the bbc is financially at the mercy of the state, governments for decades have believed that the bbc had an agenda hostile to them. i suppose it shows that government is scared of a internationally respected news organistion with (arguably) no particular political agenda.

But its not like it can replace them with an organization with a political agenda, unless of course your saying that a more privatized company ala Fox News can be pro government due to the fact the government supports them and aids them in covering the news.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Ya, Fox news should be banned from the air. We'd have a lot less problems if no one watched it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join