It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympic torch parade protests in Paris.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

protests are fine, but you can't cross the lines and should respect others man values. Also selective reporting and selective listening are not denying ignorance.

reply to post by Mikey84

Atehns 2004 covered 23 countries and 28 cities (4 in USA, 2 in Germany, 2 in Athens)
Beijing 2008 is covering 21 countries, 136 cities (22 international, Hong Kong, Macau and rest in mainland China)

Ok my mistake regarding that statement about this,

but China did not promise anyone anything, check the wiki site and check other sources by yourself.

RE: Censorships - if you really believe that a torch relay in China will be censored and not given access to Western reporters then I think you really need to do your own research too.

and did the governments of China, Kazahkstan, Turkey and Russia censored the Western Media to report the torch relay in the first few days? Or did the Western reporters simply conducted self-censorship because of those peaceful relays there?

[edit on 8/4/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
but China did not promise anyone anything, check the wiki site and check other sources by yourself.

Ok, first off – I wouldn’t be going to Wikipedia for facts, or research. Although I can understand your excitement at Wikipedia, it’s all new to you - The censorship block on the site has only recently been lifted in China, hasn’t it? (According to Wiki, the block was only lifted last week, 2nd of April).

Here is the Wiki page about all the blocking and unblocking, seeing as you like Wiki – Hope it’s not blocked again, so you can view it.
Blocking of Wikipedia in mainland China

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
RE: Censorships - if you really believe that a torch relay in China will be censored and not given access to Western reporters then I think you really need to do your own research too.

Who knows what will be censored, I mean China requested that they not show the games live, they have already stopped western reporters from going to certain places – again, hiding their dirty little secrets.

Mikey

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Just last month in the Times of London a former SAS agent said the British were involved in holding people for the USA. So they could be shipped to be tortured. He went on record as saying he was involved in this.

We aren't that different. You just desire to make us different without any logic behind it.

P.S: You do realise that Tibeten Protesters have used bombs and violence right? You do realise the way they Protest is actually illegal in the UK?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

Just last month in the Times of London a former SAS agent said the British were involved in holding people for the USA. So they could be shipped to be tortured. He went on record as saying he was involved in this.

We aren't that different. You just desire to make us different without any logic behind it.

Err yes we are different becuase our cases of torture are rare and not the norm. I will not make excuses for the government i hate the fact we had torture flights going through our country and i want it to stop now. The difference however is that your country tortures hundreds, if a press person speaks out they are silenced with threats to their life and family or simply arrested and executed.

No journalists have been executed for telling the truth here as far as i recall in the last 100 years.

So yes we are very different in how our governments work, also we here have access to news sources that many chinese people aren't because of the censorship that the chinese government has put on the internet. You are fed propoganda, you don't have true alternative news sources outside the main stream.

Your view is sadly biased beyond belief but it's perfectly understandable. My view is that any protestors are allowed to say whatever they wish. I dislike that they crossed the organised protest lines though, but that's how strong the feeling is here i guess. Isn't it nice we're allowed to have such feeling without risk of torture and death? Worst we get is arrested, told off and released. Unless the protestors get violent and then it's their own fault.

P.S: You do realise that Tibeten Protesters have used bombs and violence right? You do realise the way they Protest is actually illegal in the UK?

Depends what you read doesn't it. If you read the chinese, biased propoganda then yes they have. All the main stream stuff doesn't seem to say that, unless i have missed a few articles (which is very possible i read a lot of different things).

Originally posted by IchniSan
protests are fine, but you can't cross the lines and should respect others man values. Also selective reporting and selective listening are not denying ignorance.

Actually with equal rights we are perfectly allowed to cross a protest line but i agree it shoudln't be done. What i was and still am supporting is the right to protest.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I live in the U.K. born in Coventry, not got anything to do with China.

However, the fact is these issues of torture aren't rare. Every year their are court cases of people in prison being abused, people in care homes and so on and so fourth.

The U.S.A. uses water boarding, I don't see our Government speak out against those forms of torture. Only those in China. As far as I am concerned it is no different.

P.S:

I have a video of your Pro-Tibeten supporters kicking a crippled Chinese athelete. Would you like me to post it? Would you like to actually see what they did in France?

They didn't call for a boycott, they attacked people. They attacked Olympic athletes, including a British athelete in London.

You support that? Because that's what they have been doing. Furthermore, go to their forums on the internet, they are calling for attacks on athletes - there have been reported cases of them calling for attacks on China and on the athletes who go their.

Free Tibet, kill an innocent.

These people you desire to free, are acting no different than the Chinese.

Would you like reports of them attacking Chinese people in Tibet? Setting their houses on fire for being of a different ethnic group?

Free Tibet, burn a house down.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

They didn't call for a boycott, they attacked people. They attacked Olympic athletes, including a British athelete in London.

Thats rubbish, i was watching the whole thing do you mean where someone tried to grab the torch off her?

The athlete even said afterwards she understood why there were protests, and knew it wasnt directed at the athletes, but the symbolic meaning of it, she was on the side of the protesters.

Can you provide link where it states UK athletes were attacked?

Or do you mean this athlete...
Video.

She wasnt a british athlete i dont think, and they arent trying to attack her, just trying to take the torch.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by Denied]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Denied

Wait.

So one moment, China doesn't allow Freedom of Speech the next it's athletes can say they understand why they got attacked?

The woman in France was kicked at, I've already posted the video on several threads. The British athelete was also charged but they didn't attack him. It was Konnie Huq who they grabbed the torch from and stuggled with.

You really support that?

No offence, but's that assault and mugging.

Would you support your mother have her purse snatched from her because it was made in China?

Also to those mentioned earlier, over 2000 people turned up to support the Olympics happening. None of those attacked people, none of those tried to grab the flame, none of those hurt innocent people.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
No British athlete was attacked. The lady in question was a TV presenter and a white male tried to grab the torch

Someone is clutching straws...

And, in France, one Tibet protester was bleeding from the mouth because one of the security members (from China) hit him.

Why didn't you post that Odium?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

So one moment, China doesn't allow Freedom of Speech the next it's athletes can say they understand why they got attacked?

It wasnt a Chinese athlete i was referring to, she was British.
99% of the protests outside of Tibet, have been peaceful, vocal, but peaceful, with any contact directed to the torch, the whole point of all this protest is for better human rights, and better treatment of the people in Tibet, any use of violence in regards to protesting via the olympic route would not give them much sympathy with the rest of the world, it would go against their cause.

Whats so wrong about what these people are doing?
Would they get noticed and have this much international attention if there wasnt a Beijing Olympics?

Power to the People.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Yeah looks like he's misinformed

When i tell you to not watch cnn/fox guys, that's for your own good.
(Only for a good laugh at your birthday, that's it.)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Odium

I'm afraid that the protestors you are naming are in the minority, any cuase will always have a minority or idiots who can't protest peacefully and i have at no point said i support them for it.

Peaceful protests are the way forward and should be stuck too, i can however understand why some peoples passions flared and they felt the need ot take direct action.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I actually corrected myself above, the news source I initially had was wrong.

However does it change the fact they attacked someone?

P.S: The source I've seen says that was a French Police officers who attacked the man.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by themaster1

I don't have sky, so I can't watch those.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Denied

Simply put, they should be directing it at the Chinese Government. Boycotting the Olympics is a laughable way to direct attention to what is going on in Tibet.

Why not stop buying Chinese products?

It's great to support punishing atheletes who play no part in where the Olympics are held. They didn't know 10 years ago about this so boycotting the Olympics is disgusting in my view.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

The protesters from the main Free Tibet Organizations are calling for the Torch to be stopped. How do you stop it peacefully?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Why not stop buying Chinese products?

I’m sure most people would love to stop buying Chinese products, most are cheaply made and fall apart. but as I’m sure you know, almost everything is made in China now, (one reason the governments are afraid to stand up against China).

It's great to support punishing athletes who play no part in where the Olympics are held. They didn't know 10 years ago about this so boycotting the Olympics is disgusting in my view.

Actually they play a big part, if none of them attended, then the 2008 Beijing Olympics would not go ahead, instead they are choosing to compete in stadiums that where built in the place of peoples homes, who are now homeless, by going they will be providing money and support to a government that kills and tortures hundreds of innocent people. They knew 7 years ago when China got the games how bad China was, and still is. Winning a medal to them seems more important that the lives of people. Letting Beijing have the Olympics is actually disgusting part.

When you’re watching the opening ceremony, I just want you to remember that you’re looking at something that ruined the lives of so many local people, and it’s something providing money to a Government that harms so many people.

Mikey

[edit on 8/4/2008 by Mikey84]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Good for Kevin Rudd

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I for one am really glad to see the protests.

While I accept this issue is complex - ignore China and she could get worse, pamper China a little and she may be cajoled to better human rights, I thought that we in the UK had lost the will/time to protest. In my student days there was a protest virtually every week- miners strike, Barclays bank, apartheid - it is part of a democracy (and let's not kid ourselves that there would be protests re: UK in Iraq if this was coming to London this year)

So while I can see both sides of the arguement, I am really glad that this has triggered people to find their voice again. I think this may trigger other political protests!

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Has anyone found anything online with the Dalai Lama addressing this issue with the torch being intercepted? I'm curious to learn his thoughts on this.

Personally I'd like to see Tibet get their freedom, with the Dalai Lama running into the opening ceremony with the torch! Now that's the spirit!

[edit on 9-4-2008 by mysticaltheologist]

[edit on 9-4-2008 by mysticaltheologist]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I LOVE FRANCE!! the only country that is protesting the olympics on a government scale...My heros!!

<< 1  2  3   >>

join