It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympic torch parade protests in Paris.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Something tells me the Olympic torch being extinguished might end up as foreshadowing for things to come. Mark this day down.

What a pity. It's unfortunate the Olympic Committee didn't see this side of China earlier... we could have had the Olympics somewhere else.

On the other hand, the Olympics coming to China does allow attention to focus harder on the issues in China.

I wouldn't want to be from Tibet or Taiwan in this generation. Thank the chain of events for being born in the country you're in... unless that would be the US, cause you've got your own version of problems on their way.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Stop living in a fantasy land.

Our Nation does enough harm, as does the French and every other country in the World. Fact is China kills a few thousand people in its own Nation and it has control over Tibet a country it shouldn't.

We helped invade Iraq, killed what 100,000+ civilians, we sell weapons to Israel and many other nations which get used against civilians and so on and so fourth.

Stop pretending their is a difference.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It is tragic some ATS members are putting conspiracy theories before basic human rights and dragging up Iraq, Israel and other theories instead

Some member posted we should boycott London 2012 because of Iraq. Why? Do you have a problem with Iraqi's living in a democracy? like it or not, those people went out in millions and voted for it. Funny how anti-war protesters ignore that point

I nearly fainted when I heard we should stand by China because they are "fighting against the NWO". My jaw dropped. Please use common sense. If left wing parties, who were against the war, stand by Tibet and call for a boycott why cannot the conspiracy community?

Is this what ATS is coming down to? Putting the illuminati, NWO, aliens, etc before the basic freedom and liberty of Tibet. Look, all of us are smart people. We are the guys who have brought so much to the conspiracy community. I've worked with many of you and had some wondeful debates, that is why it hurts to write these words.

Sadly, words from myself and others will go ignored by "apologist" who would rather put conspiracies before the people of Tibet.

btw, I look forward to be attacked and called a "government agent" for making a point

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

You know what...when I see 10 people race, I don't see people being killed because of it.

The Olympics have nothing to do with the actions of the Chinese Government in Tibet.

When you see 10 people on a track racing: Where's the politics in that?
Please what Political point does it help to proove in reguards to the Chinese Government?

And Infinite: Selling the weapon or ordering the use of it is no different. All countries have blood on their hands.

The Dalai Lama, Tibet's spiritual leader, reiterated Tuesday he was against any boycott of the Beijing Olympics, saying Chinese people should not be blamed for the situation in his homeland.

afp.google.com...

He has also on various occasions said it's unfair to punish the athletes. So who the hell are any of you to say we should boycott it when their spitial leader doesn't want it boycotted?

He lost his home.
He lost his family.
His friends were the ones who died.

Yet he wants the event to go a head because he is wise enough to see the difference.

So:
A) What Political ideologies of the Chinese do we see at teh Olympics?
B) Who are you to say to Boycott them when the Dalai Lama wants them to go ahead?

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Odium

When the Russians held the Olympics in 1988, they did not use it as a political weapon to show the glory of communism and the Soviet Union. America did by boycotting it. All the Soviets wanted to do was host a sporting event.

China brought politics into the games this time. The Communist Party wants to show China off to the world as the next super power. I'll bet you if China beats America in the medals table, she will play politics over it.

Btw, what about all the agreements China made to the Olympic committee to tackle human rights, freedom of the press and pollution? China has not met one single target.

The press will be restricted during the Olympics and are currently banned from entering Tibet. China said the BBC was "spreading Western propaganda" yesterday
Excuse me? We have freedom of the press and citizens have democratic rights. Do you know all the pro-Chinese rallys on the route are organised by the Chinese embassy?

Yeah, athletes should not be dragged into it but what about the scandal over the food being provided? It was proven to be unsafe. China is using the Olympics in the same way Hitler used it for.

Propaganda means.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
its sad to see that infinte supports the destruction of this historical sporting event in such a disgusting way by france - who should be banned for life from participating; i bet real money teh new zionist leader of france is behind this filthy stunt.

edit:

oh and `free tibet` how about `free soux land` or ` free california` or `free scotland` - all countries/states who want there independance.

[edit on 7/4/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

You honestly believe the Chinese stand a chance of winning the medal tables? I doubt even they do.

They were 40 medals behind the USA last year and recent qualification times, has put them even further behind the USA. Especially with the introduction of many new sports the Chinese Government didn't even have teams for or were even played in China several years ago.

Furthermore the current qualification times from US athletes are miles ahead.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Choose your battles wisely.

No one here is talking about giving land back to Tibet. People here are talking about how oppressed the Chinese people are including the Tibetans.

How a country that oppresses their people as bad as China does, the despicable things they do to the handicapped, the child policy and the censorship can host an event that is meant to signify unity, peace and togetherness is beyond me.

The Olympic committee had all the right intentions when it awarded China the games, under certain arrangements and an agreement that the gesture will open China up to being more civilized and begin the 'healing' so to speak. China has done nothing to even try to meet them half way. They took the Olympic games and ran.

As much as the World of Warcraft kid wants to believe that there is not a political agenda behind this, the fact of the matter is there is. Those people have every damn right to protest the Olympics. Unlike the lot of you, they aren't self-serving me-firsts. They are protesting not for themselves, but for the people who deserve it.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Odium

IMO, and many others here, there is NO difference between the governments you mentioned. However, and what you're failing to consider, is the differences between the people and the governments. The people are finally standing up for what they believe in, regardless of their government's actions.

I say props to the French, and I hope many other nations follow suit.

Also, I feel that boycotting the games is far from "ruining" the lives of the athletes. "Ruin" is such a relative term, you'll get a far different definition from anyone in Tibet. In fact I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that even some of the athletes may withdraw from the games in protest.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by metro

No one here is talking about giving land back to Tibet. People here are talking about how oppressed the Chinese people are including the Tibetans.

How a country that oppresses their people as bad as China does, the despicable things they do to the handicapped, the child policy and the censorship can host an event that is meant to signify unity, peace and togetherness is beyond me.

lets talk about how appalingly the so called `land of the free` treats people , the children thrown in the gutter for not having `medical insurance` , the handicapped left to rot in stale air windowless rooms, the open invasion of privacy , reading mail, email and listen to all phone calls anytime anywhere , the censorship - if its not what the MSM want it doesn`t get reported. look at the US before you critisise - remeber cananada put them on the terror watch list for a reason.

The Olympic committee had all the right intentions when it awarded China the games, under certain arrangements and an agreement that the gesture will open China up to being more civilized and begin the 'healing' so to speak. China has done nothing to even try to meet them half way. They took the Olympic games and ran.

all `in your opinion` or you can see what china have actually done instead of swallowing for the msm aand believeing fauxnews - who have been repeatidly `busted` for making **** up.

As much as the World of Warcraft kid wants to believe that there is not a political agenda behind this, the fact of the matter is there is. Those people have every damn right to protest the Olympics. Unlike the lot of you, they aren't self-serving me-firsts. They are protesting not for themselves, but for the people who deserve it.

`world of warcraft kid` - and there you fail - insulting without reason;

oh you did read the `free tibet protestors get crushed in america` thread didn`t you? the protest that got gassed and baton charged in NYC?

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Until you get your quoting right, I'm not even going to try to decipher that post. Obligatory second sentence goes here.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by metro

please now press ahead oh baiter. its allready for you now.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
do you think there would be worldwide protests if the olympics were being held in the US?

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by metro

So because I enjoy playing a computer game for a few hours a week makes my point invalid? You really need to learn to debate. Many people gain this in what's called University. (P.S: The average age for a player of WoW is mid 20's.)

You do realise their were violent attacks involved in this?

I am all for Human Rights, but how will boycotting the Olympics help that?

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

What a suprise you've showed up in another thread I've been posting in. Seems like everytime I post something you are there to respond!

Thank you for proving my point about putting conspiracies above human rights
Again, I do wonder how you relate Zionism to the Olympics
But again, all your posts on ATS are about the fantastic belief that Israel and Jews rule the world. But seriously, you've topped it this time
"Zionist France" behind it? Was all the protesters, including the Free Tibet campaign, apart of your grand conspiracy?. When do we get to hear your theory about Israel funding the Tibet campaign

No offence Harlequin you've tried so hard in the last four years to get my attention and it is getting very pathetic. In fact, I believe all your posts on ATS include my name in them. At first it was funny, then it was sad, follwed by pathetic and now it is quite tragic.

I would recommend you pay attention to the newer members of ATS who are respectful and know how to constructive an agrument, without stalking a member, but that would be insulting to the new members.

I do feel dirty to have lowered myself to your level, I took you off ignore because I wanted to give you a chance. I wanted you to prove to me the intelligence and good level attitude that will win my admiration. But you've blown it.

Back on ignore.

My apologise to the OP and other ATS members in this thread, but after four long years, I had to address this childish member once and for all. What would you do if someone accused you of carrying a "zionist agenda" every 5 minutes?

[edit on 7-4-2008 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
amazing - an entire post which is a direct and personal attack - which for all the new psoters is breaking the T&C which were agreed to.

remember what the ADMIN say, infinite - if you cannot say something nice don`t say it at all.

post reported.

edit:

infinite also supports the murder of british troops and a free ireland - the heart of `sinn fein` so one wonders who IS the terrorist here.... *read his posts over the years to see the truth held in them*

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
1st off, this is a sporting event, but at the same time a HUGE Political Matter, its the joining of nations to come together in a show of sportsmanship which shouldnt be able to happen with your country in unrest.... that is like having a birthday party for your kid while hes grounded in his room....

You cant have a Global event that is supposed to represent all the triumphs an achievements when you oppress your people, its like the USA having a " Economical Happiness day " TOmorrow....

China needs to figure out some closure or something peaceful fast, or this might be a huge blow to their pride,

And folks, Honestly, if your intelligent enuff to turn on your computer, an register for a site like this one, then how about we act as such in relationship to our fellow posters.... yes this is a heavily opinionated topic, but in no means or measures is it cool to act like a "lion with a thorn in its paw", treat your fellow members with some respect an kindness, even if that wasnt presented to you, be the bigger person, an maybe thru your example others shall see it fit as well.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Stop the bickering and get back on topic please.

If you have issues, take it to U2U or contact staff.

It stops now.

Thank You.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
P.S:
You pay taxes in the U.K. to a Government who kills 1000's of people. :-)

Wow there mister, there is a wide gap between china and the UK, we don't torture and kill our own citizens thank you very much.

Yes we invaded Iraq (whch i was and still am fully against), but at least we had an altruistic goal (if you believe the reasons for going to war which i don't). Many people still think we are trying to help that country, even if it was misguided and stupid at least we were trying to do some good.

China simply abuses it's citizens, the UK for the most part treats them rather well, so please don't compare the two as even slightly close.

EDIT

Elevatedone i made this post before yours was up sorry about that.

The French are merely standing up for what they believe to be correct and they have every right to do so.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I applaud France for this. I would hope that the rest of Europe follows France's example. It would be nice if the US would but that won't be happening as were too economically intertwined with China. We buy their junk and they use the profits to buy our bonds. I seriously wish some of the US companies and politicians would get away from the Money First ideology and go with the People First.

That includes you Microsoft!
Xbox 360s made in China!? Whats wrong with Taiwan or Korea? Why not Mexico even? Stop sending jobs to China and tech support to India!

Seriously though the EU should take the lead and boycott the Olympics. Set an example for the rest of the world. If Greece would boycott it would be the clearest signal I think.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join