It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blood test that gives 'a six-year early warning' of Alzheimer's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Blood test that gives 'a six-year early warning' of Alzheimer's

www.dailymail.co.uk

A blood test the makers claim can detect Alzheimer's and Parkinson's up to six years before they take hold is to be launched this summer.

The test will allow doctors to alert those at risk of developing the conditions, and advise them of lifestyle changes such as improvements to their diet or more exercise.

It could also allow earlier treatment with drugs which slow the progress of the diseases.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well, this can help alot. Get the drugs on board sooner, change your lifestyle...and you will still get the disease. Now you can worry and know you will lose your mind 6 years before it happens.

Here is my take :

Alzheimer's = in general is a misdiagnoses. My take is its Human Mad Cow (CJD). The prion slips in and over years, refolds the proteins in the brain to build up the plaque and when enough forms - you now are diagnosed with Alzheimer's (since you now present with the symptoms).
You take the meds, it does help for a short time, alot of people get rich, and your mind slips away.
Below is some info on CJD.
en.wikipedia.org...

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by harddrive21

Well done, harddrive21, Star!

Alzheimer's is devastating. If you're right about misdiagnosis, then alot
of other maladies are misdiagnosed, as well. And unfortunately, people
end up suffering terribly, while pharmaceutical co.'s and their shareholders
get rich off it!!!

Memory loss is bad for some, and ignorant bliss to others, huh?

Then, some people put marijuana down, because, they say it makes you
lose your memory, too- I just wanna say one thing about that... Uuhhmm,
Aaa, geez, i forgot what i was gonna say!!! lol

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FRIGHTENER

Thanks for the star! It is much appreciated.

But looking at the BigPharma and the shareholders...I can't rail too hard on it. We all are shareholders (or most if you have a mutual fund, 401K, 401B or have some type of retirement investment - same goes for BigOil...different topic for a different day) and should be applauding the furthering of science and our lifespans.
CJD has a "incubation" period of decades. Any one of us here on ATS may be exposed to the prion and have no idea...until it's too late. There is a vaccine that they are trying to develop that essentially is an enzyme that will break down the plaque in the brain that they feel causes Alzheimer's. That may work at first, but may only delay the inevitable.
The vaccine would work by breaking down the Alpha Amyloid protein. But CJD can refold other proteins, possibly creating a new sludge in the brain.
Truly scary stuff.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I think that it is sometimes a misdiagnosis, but other times it is the real deal. For example, it runs in my family. My Grandmother, her sister and her mother all had / have it. It hit them all in their 80's. It is horrible.

I don't know if I would want to take the test or not. Nothing like knowing you are going to lose your mind in 6 years. I would imagine the placebo effect of that diagnosis would be pretty powerful. I also think that a lot of people would rather die than have Alzheimer's, so this could also lead to people killing themselves.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I am sorry to hear that your family has such a horrible disease affecting the older generations. If you live long enough (and for some it may be 65, some 95) you will develop dementia, which will get you on a slow and sad demise. There is a familiar form of CJD that can be passed forward...mostly thanks to the 20-50 year incubation period. Not saying that that is whats going on, but can muddy up the waters.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   

It is way beyond dimentia with the people in my family who have been affected. It could be CJD I suppose, but I doubt it. I am pretty convinced it is Alzheimers.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I have absolutely 100% belief that what you have seen and described with your family is Alzheimer's. I didn't mean to cast doubt on that. There are some strains of CJD that are generational, but that is (as far as we know) super rare. There are many people that suddenly get diagnosed with it with no family history and that is what I am referring to. Sorry if I upset you with my above statement.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I just HATE that sludge!

Your welcome for the star, i tend to be star-happy with smart people like
yourself, who offer something good to the board!

No, i gotta tell ya, i have never invested anything in stocks, i don't
believe in the market... I like things i can touch, physically, like tools,
classic cars, survival gear, real estate... call me old-fashioned! (Or
lacking risk capital, and math skills!)

But i DID stay at a Holiday Inn last night! lol

[edit on 4/7/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

[edit on 4/7/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Sorry, Karl, about your elder family members. I know a little about it,
but not first-hand experience, like you've endured.

As far as people killing themselves, though, THAT has run in my family...
My grandma, on my father's side; an uncle, on my mother's side; an
aunt on my father's side; and my wife's father... hope it's not genetic, i
have NO desire to "end it"... life is good!

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

No no, you didn't upset me. I didn't mean to come off like that. Good thread.

new topics

top topics

join