It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheists can learn much from Indiana Jones films!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Spielberg and Lucas. Both believe in God. Both created the character of Indiana Jones.

Indiana jones represents us in everyway. And we can learn from his character if we want to understand god.

He is broken up into 3 parts.

1. The Atheist. Teacher/scientist.
2. The Christian. Believes in a God, A greater force.
3. The Fighter. Fights for evil. In the name of Science or God.

Indiana Jones starts out as an Archeologist, he believes in science at first, teaching at the university. His original interest: Getting rich and knowing the truth about older civilizations, to be a founder of scientific evidence. However, he lacks spirituality at first. But his character changes, he then learns that the Ark is real, that the devil is real and that the Holy Grail is real. In the end he realized that God was real, that he wanted adventure and was denying god all along. He also learned that science was bogus and a thing of the past. it was blocking his true vision and kept him from enjoying his life, to be with his father. He also learned that science kept him ignorant about God, due to science he could not see beyond.

The character of Indiana Jones is like our lives. We start going to school and learn all the basics from books and teachers. Then we grow up and have our own experiences about non-educational subjects. Like war, Religion and family. We then start wondering about Alien life (the Next Movie). In everyway, Jones is represented as a learner, a faithful person who changes and learns from his experiences and becomes a better person.

in the beggining indiana Jones was all about finding expensive artifacts. his driving force was glory and fame. Same way we as teenagers want fame and money. He moved on to accept spirituality and fix his relationship with his father. He grew up! In the end, IJ is a happier person, he accepted that God actually was the one who made him do all of these things for a reason. To save the world from evil. To save his soul and find him love. Ultimately, he drinks the water and he's redemed. He is now not a scientist, but a faithful God driven person who acts on goodness and not on facts. Sure, he was a skeptic at first, but that went away real quick.

So what's the point? to be a better rounded person and to be good at what you do..you must have god beside you. wonder how he made it out of that rolling boulder? how his hat never falls off? How he never gets shot? he always believed in god, but science kept him back. So if science is keeping you back, it's ok. All you need is to go out to the world and let it show you where the truth really is. Get away from the Library, stop reading those books on Astronomy and get out more to fight your own devils and demons. And only then, you will begin to see the truth. Like Indiana Jones did before you.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

I'm not too sure I like your analogy. Science doesn't hold me back from God. For me, science is proof of God. I'm somewhat peeved that the concept of 'atheist' should be defined be scientist, as if implying that believers are stupid.

I'm troubled how some believers want to separate science from belief in God. As if they are scared that science will be disproving God. As far as I can see, people with this sort of mentality are weak in their belief in God, because they don't seem to realise the God made the entire universe, along with the structure that and logic that science follows. Science is the proof of God, not the disproof. I'll read as much astrology as I like, sir, because it's such an awesome science, with such beautiful structure, and I'm certainly not going to hide from it because of petty human divisions like "Science vs. Religion".

It's like the concept of ID. It's irritating that God is being artificially inserted into the loop, just so that idiotic people (who just happen to also be religious) can have a point up. All loops go back to God, you don't need to make your own ones!

In other news, Indy is a grizzled old man now, and will apparently be going after crystal skulls, a new-agey concept that probably has little involvement with God. Still I'm keeping faith that it'll all turn out nice

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
I'm not too sure I like your analogy. Science doesn't hold me back from God. For me, science is proof of God. I'm somewhat peeved that the concept of 'atheist' should be defined be scientist, as if implying that believers are stupid.

Not really an analogy. More of a study of character. the hero's journey and his way to finding the light. Jones is the Hero who starts out as a scientist and moves on to become a man of faith.

and I am sure that his new found crystal skulls will surprise him even more. he might have to question his beliefs again this time. he could go back to believing in science, but will again be wrong. This time, if he does have a child, he will grow even more and then try to be the teacher. Perhaps his son doesn't believe in god or aliens and he will be the teacher now. But not a school teacher, more of a spiritual teacher to his son.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   

You seem adamant in your separation of God from science. You don't believe that a full-blown scientist can also be a full-blown believer in God? Why is a person who believes in science (or as I'd put it, follows scientific method) wrong?

PS: The movie will not involve any son of Indiana Jones. The previous rumours that it would are just that- rumours.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   

You seem adamant in your separation of God from science. You don't believe that a full-blown scientist can also be a full-blown believer in God? Why is a person who believes in science (or as I'd put it, follows scientific method) wrong?

From experience, while going to college and taking math, astronomy, anthropology and any other science class. Yes, I felt like loosing focus on god. I think students of science spend too much time in the classroom and libraries and less time in church. I think that's a problem. Maybe more time reasing a bible, colleges should be teaching theology as science.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
From experience, while going to college and taking math, astronomy, anthropology and any other science class. Yes, I felt like loosing focus on god.

Pah! You were just making excuses to not study!

Ask yourself these questions:
Didn't God make the world?
ARE YOU SURE YOU BELIEVE THAT GOD MADE THE WORLD?
What does any science aim for? Look for?
What do you have to fear from science?
Why should science take one away from God?

Originally posted by jedimiller
I think students of science spend too much time in the classroom and libraries and less time in church. I think that's a problem. Maybe more time reasing a bible, colleges should be teaching theology as science.

But theology is not a science. You can't gain knowledge of theology purely through scientific method. It is fixed. Do you think that "students of science spend too much time in the classroom and libraries and less time in church" is a good reason to create a division like "Science vs. Religion"?

[edit on 7-4-2008 by babloyi]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   

But theology is not a science. You can't gain knowledge of theology purely through scientific method. It is fixed. Do you think that "students of science spend too much time in the classroom and libraries and less time in church" is a good reason to create a division like "Science vs. Religion"?

Well, look at indiana jones. he was all about science at first. The he realized there was more to it, the supernatural, god whatever you want to call it. And yes, school does ignore religion. I've walked into too many libraries and you never see the bible anywhere. it should be the first book you see as you walk in. reason to go to catholic school. you could say that school vs church is the same as Science vs. religion.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Does the placing of a book have any bearing on it's importance? The quality of it's contents? Or the quality of the library?

I'd say the whole school vs. church as well as science vs. religion is a made-up and fake division. God is everywhere.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   

I'd say the whole school vs. church as well as science vs. religion is a made-up and fake division. God is everywhere.

Sorry to disagree with you Babloyi. Have you ever taken college courses? I've taken an Astronomy class where we NEVER spoke about god. it was all about theories, gravity, mass, black holes, etc. Nowhere in our text there was any mention of God. Also took an Astronomy laboratory class where we would go to the observatories and observe the planets, had the textbooks, no mention of God there. All the explanations had to do with mathematics, math and the light spectrum. My Anthropology teacher still believes we come from apes, that they are our cousins. :bash:

anyway, on topic, indiana jones is kinda like that, he's taught too long and he spends too much time in the university, so he has to get away from that and have real life experiences.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by jedimiller]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Sure, I'm in college right now. Talk of God generally depends on the teacher. Considering it's a small class, and the beliefs of all students are the same, some teachers decide to infuse their teachings with their beliefs occasionally.

But that is besides the point. Are you insecure about your belief in God? Do you think that if you are not talking/hearing about God at all times, you might lose your belief? No? Then why does it matter? You know what's behind all this. I'd think using God to justify ignorance (of this world or of the other) is probably a sin. If you want to learn religion exclusively, go to a theological college (or a college with a theology department). If you want to learn astronomy, go to a college with an astronomy department. Either way, you'll be learning something about God, whether you know it (or your teacher knows it) or not.

See, the most important question here is: ARE YOU SURE YOU BELIEVE IN GOD? If the answer is yes, then really, none of this matters. If someone is so weak that they fear they might lose faith in God because their textbook doesn't mention it (or because they're learning about hinduism, or because they're learning about evolution, or because they're learning about solipsism), then I'd say that person didn't even have faith in God in the first place. If you are sure in your beliefs, then none of it matters, and you get to learn some stuff too.

As far as Indiana Jones is concerned, yeah, it's important to balance knowledge from books with experience from the real world. Same goes for science and religion (at the same time, not in exclusivity
).

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
No! of course I believe in God 100%
Heck I've met him when I was having my OOBE. He explained many things to me in person. So I don't have any insecurities about him. But I do sense that schools ignore his existence and push this on their students. Teachers are told to keep religion out of the discussion, never met a teacher who told me he believed in god, they don't want to get sued. but i'm talking about the young generation of today, they are bombarded with satanic images everyday. I think a movie like indiana jones helps them to undestand god and how it helps people. I'm hoping the new movie will discuss this and finally end the battle we are having in our lives.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
First of all... Indiana Jones did get shot once. In Raiders, he is shot/grazed in the arm by a Nazi, who then ends up punching him in the wound a bunch of times. Happened during the awesome action sequence when Indy is driving the truck with the Ark in it.

Secondly, when I went to college, I expected certain things out of certain courses. In my anthropology class, I expected to hear about bones and such. In geology, I expected to hear about rocks and the earth. Had I taken a theology class, I would have expected to learn about God. After 12 years of Catholic school, I didn't want to take theology, so I didn't.

My point is that an astronomy class should be about stars, and gases and planets. If you feel God should be part of the curriculum, then go to a Christian college or read up on the subject of how God relates to stars on your on time.

I believe that God has everything to do with the earth and the universe and math and whatnot... But I also want to know more about how planets form then "because God made them."

I apologize for any errors or typos. I am sitting in a courthouse typing on my Blackberry.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I do believe in the very 1st IJ movie in the 1st half hour of the movie after he returns to the colledge he teaches at after saving some religeous relic (a gold cross I believe) and in his class he talks about difference between facts and truth to his students, saying if they wanted truth then there was some female
teachers class on religeous studies down the hall. So even in the IJ movie they showed that students had access to GOD if they so desired .

top topics

join