It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

solar system lookalike found

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I'm not saying that I agree with what you wrote or with what I wrote, but in the framework of your theory that is what must take place.

I do not believe that the universe is a bubble nor that space time is curved, only insomuch that planets and basketballs are spherical
Space time is simultaneously curved and eternally straight and distantly imperishable.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
If the universe was a lot smaller than it is, it could be possible to look at ourselves a long time ago. Sort of like sitting in the center of a spherical mirror, and seeing the back of your own head in every direction. This star system is only five thousand light-years away, in our own galaxy. We wouldn't be able to detect planets if it belonged to another galaxy.

So exactly what would the light of our solar system be reflected on?
And if it's 5000 light years away, will it take the light 5000 light years to travel to the point of reflection, then another 5000 to return,? which would make it 10,000 light years in total.
I may be wrong, im just speculating, but all the views are most welcome.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
also try this link for more solar system discoveries.

www.independent.ie...

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
So when the super collider program goes BANG we will all find ourselves back on on our home planet.

Weird thoughts from a wired person.

Wolfie

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Exciting news indeed. I honestly beelive that with all these new discoveries being made we are being groomed for an announcement that ailens exist. Cosmic Journey is back !!!

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by adkchamp

I like the idea.......but THE PHYSICS DONT AGREE,come on now,how can you say that a system x amount of lightyears away is OUR OWN?Sounds good,but isnt good.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

jk....the discussion went off...

I think the OP said a 'solar system' was discovered, and it included at least two ga giants, so this seems very similar to our system, but there is no way, yet, to establish details from such a distance....

I think the OP said the star, at the center of the system, has half as bright as our own Sun (please don't insert joke here)

Instead of making fun, we should embrace this, yet another example of what has been mentioned before....systems around stars will develop, and planets will form....when allowed time....

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I like the idea that we have to see ourselves somehow...time is infinite in space remember? So a light year can be whatever through a black hole, right?

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by adkchamp

adk, it's a nice idea, but fails the physics test of how things really work.

If light could 'bend' around that much, then our ideas of how physics works, and all that Einstein has done, and those who came after to build on his early work have done, would be proven wrong.

So far, I don't think these esteemed scientists and scholars have been proven wrong, yet.....

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
So with the discovery of this new solar system, if you could fast forward time 50-100 years, where do you think we'll be in our understanding?.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by orby1976
If this is the case and its only five thousand light-years away how come we didn't discover it sooner, i dont mean like 20 or so years because we didn't have the technology then, but within the last 5 or so years.
It does make for an interesting point of view though.
perhaps some experts could could share their knowledge

The most likely reason for this is simply that the data concerning this particular area have only recently been analyzed. There are several earth-bound monitoring devices that are capable of a fine enough measurement to detect planets (as opposed to stars) - unfortunately they tend to be able to record data much faster than they are capable of analyzing such.

When this is combined with the fact that the sky is just really, monstrously, grotesquely large, it could just be that no one had looked there yet with powerful enough equipment. =)

But he added that there was little chance to detect Earth-like worlds in OGLE-2006-BLG-109L because the system was too distant for current techniques to resolve planets the size of our own.

This system, being only 5,000 light years away, is too far out to detect earth-like planets with current technology. That in itself is rather telling, because on the scale of the universe's size, that's a hop skip and jump away from earth. I'd conclude that this particular system hadn't been found until now due to its distance being too far to harbor earth-like bodies, which are likely what the scientists are looking for now that their technology is capable of such, albeit at shorter distances. Again, that's just speculation, but the logic makes sense, IMHO. =)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by orby1976
If the universe was a lot smaller than it is, it could be possible to look at ourselves a long time ago. Sort of like sitting in the center of a spherical mirror, and seeing the back of your own head in every direction. This star system is only five thousand light-years away, in our own galaxy. We wouldn't be able to detect planets if it belonged to another galaxy.

So exactly what would the light of our solar system be reflected on?
And if it's 5000 light years away, will it take the light 5000 light years to travel to the point of reflection, then another 5000 to return,? which would make it 10,000 light years in total.
I may be wrong, im just speculating, but all the views are most welcome.

I shouldn't have mentioned a mirror. Light is not reflected, but could be traveling all around the universe until it comes back to Earth. That's assuming the universe is spherically shaped, and it is not.

The focus of the new work, which was published last week in the journal Physical Review Letters, was a search of CMB data for paired circles that would have indicated the universe is like a hall of mirrors, in which multiple images of the same object could show up in different locations in space-time. A hall of mirrors could mean the universe is finite but tricks us into thinking it is infinite.

Think of it as a video game in which an object disappearing on the right side of the screen reappears on the left.

"Several years ago we showed that any finite universe in which light had time to 'wrap around' since the Big Bang would have the same pattern of cosmic microwave background temperature fluctuations around pairs of circles," Cornish explained. They looked for the most likely patterns that would be evident in a CMB map generated by NASA's Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP).

They didn't find those patterns.

Source

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I see your point now, thanx for that info

There's so many theories, which do you pick

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nablator

Ok...first to weedwhacker:The OP said "what if we are seeing our own solar system in the future?"

I totally agree that there are THOUSANDS of life supporting planets in our own galaxy.......5000 light years.........means whatever we are seeing IS IN OUR OWN GALAXY,NOT ANOTHER.I just disagreed that this is a "future" view of our OWN sol. system........that is not possible.....this exo solar system is not new news,I heard of this a month or two ago,we have found"publically"over 250 exosolar planets......this just happens to be most like our own......because of the orbital distances...........usualy the gas giants(that is all we can find with current technology......although a new find might show we have found some terristrial planets now,I will get the article for you all tomarrow(I have class tomarrow))are in a orbit EXTREMLY close to their star,but these are not...which makes them most like ours.But to restate my point...just because we are viewing light from 5000 yrs ago DOES NOT MEAN we are viewing our OWN system in the future,why?Well because if that were true we would have seen EXACT orbits to our own systems Jovian planets,and the location of the system would not be exo solar,it would be exactly like ours.....like looking in a mirror,the constellations would be just like ours,I mean I dont know how else to explain this other than its just not possible with the KNOWN facts of the new system,need I mention the facts that the mathmatics PROVE that this is in a totally different part of space?And most importantly 5000 yrs our star would be just the same as it is now-as it takes MILLIONS of years for star evolution.

Now for nablator:What is causing this mirror effect,a black hole you say?That would be evident even with our current technology,also a balck hole does not reflect light,it absorbes light-hence the name "black hole"because light(known),time (theoretically) cannot escape it,it does not bend anything but gravity(and thats why light is absorbed,remember the theroy of realitivity????)-and that in no way creates a "mirror "effect as you say.

****Also I would be VERY interested to see the mathematic calculations(you or someone else has made that PROVES(not some theoretcial statement from a source)our Universe is NOT spherical-you nor your source have no way to prove that statement.Infact most of the newer theroies are suggesting that the Universe IS spherical......once again I will get sources tomarrow as I have class tomarrow-including college Astronomy.

NOTE**In no way am I trying to be a smartass,but I do not like people stating blindly things they know nothing about that contradict all more accepted and logical theroies from PROFESSIONAL scientists.

-JKrog

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I'll look forward to reading those papers when you post them.

Just reading all the posts and theories, shows how primative we are in our understanding of the universe. So much speculation not backed by hard proof

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
this is truly fascinating.

the possibility of another solar system so close to ours, WOW!

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
And as our technology advances who knows what else it may harbour.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
Now for nablator:What is causing this mirror effect,a black hole you say?That would be evident even with our current technology,also a balck hole does not reflect light,it absorbes light-hence the name "black hole"because light(known),time (theoretically) cannot escape it,it does not bend anything but gravity(and thats why light is absorbed,remember the theroy of realitivity????)-and that in no way creates a "mirror "effect as you say.

I was addressing the "we're seeing our own star system" theory. I agree there is no mirror effect, and I never said anything about a black hole. We could be seeing our own galaxy if the universe was a lot smaller, but this star system is in our own galaxy so it doesn't make sense. There is no evidence whatsoever the universe is small enough for light to wrap around it, anyway.

****Also I would be VERY interested to see the mathematic calculations(you or someone else has made that PROVES(not some theoretcial statement from a source)our Universe is NOT spherical-you nor your source have no way to prove that statement.Infact most of the newer theroies are suggesting that the Universe IS spherical......once again I will get sources tomarrow as I have class tomarrow-including college Astronomy.

The shape of the universe is unknown. Same for its size, finite or infinite.

NOTE**In no way am I trying to be a smartass,but I do not like people stating blindly things they know nothing about that contradict all more accepted and logical theroies from PROFESSIONAL scientists.

Nothing I posted contradicts any currently accepted science.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
After reading through all the comments, i come to believe that this is just a solar system similar to our own. They have found giant gas planets, and who knows if we keep monitoring it, as technology improves we may discover smaller earth like planets. I dont believe it's our own solar system in the future or past, but just one of many yet to be found.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join