It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End Of The World As We Know It

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
We learn about renewable and non-renewable resources early on in school. The problem is that we have a limited supply of oil, a limited supply of resources to pursue that limited supply of oil, and a limited time in which we can extract that resource from the earth. This means that we better find an alternative before gas gets 20-30 dollars a gallon and our economy goes under completely because of the cost of oil. The problem is that the government won't do that. There is no way for alternative energy companies to compete fairly in the market against big oil. They will always have the stranglehold on each of us individually unless the government takes action. I truly believe this. Economically, something must be put in place to ensure fair competition at the very least.

Everyone talks about alternative energy but very few people in the U.S. government are actually doing anything about it. The Bush administration isn't really concerned about environmental matters at this point, they just want to avoid the blame for the failure in Iraq. Nothing is viable or costworthy enough to be seen at the gas pumps as a cheaper alternative. Not yet. And even if we get to the point, pretty soon, when gas is 20 dollars a gallon our economy will be so destroyed by then in so many ways that how are these alternative energy companies (which are already having a hard time) going to afford paying all this money to put pumps up at gas stations, manufacture the product, ship it out to the world, etc..etc..when they still can't compete with big oil until that happens.

This is why the gov. needs to intervene. A concerned government.. Not the one we have now, needs to intervene and ensure that we have a future at all. This isn't just about economics anymore, this is about the livelihood of our children and our planet (at least in the long run).

-ChriS

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by eagledriver

You are absolutely correct, which again, is why it is NOT considered a renewable resource.

Hey, I'm a tree-hugger, I wish they'd get on with getting away from our addiction to oil already.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR
[snip]
The Bush administration isn't really concerned about environmental matters at this point, they just want to avoid the blame for the failure in Iraq. [snip]

Me thinks they have more on their minds than the blame of the failure in Iraq.

Why does it always seem, to me, that the vast majoirty of US citizens have forgotten where the people in BushCo come from??

OIL

For those who need it, here are a couple of pleasant reminders:
The Bush Family "Oiligarchy"

The Bush Family's War Profiteering

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
OIL is just one factor in the Bush fraud machine..

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

I agree with that. I just want people to remember what kind of "culture" those of BushCo come from and what lines their pocketbooks - not just theirs, their families as well.

Alot of their focus can be traced back to oil,.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
To me, the end of easy to get cheap oil represents the end of big oil and the beginning of the end of domination by huge international corporations. As energy sources become dependent on production, whether through sugar ethanol or wind mill electricity generation, it means that these energy sources can be produced across large swaths of the planet, and therefore global energy production can not be dominated by a few small groups. This opens the door to economic dependence and a truly competitive market place.

With modern computer controlled production it is now possible to mass manufacture in a small building with limited capital, and with the internet, global market access for small businesses. Then we will have a true market economy with entrepreneurial capabilities. Even banks can be locked out of the system, and the money supply completely circumvented.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Aren't oil companies already huge international corporations? Standard oil also comes to mind. Monopolization in the market place means less competition and a less productive economy. You say that the future may hold these huge international corporations but isn't that what our government is? Where does blackwater end and the government begin? Where does mcdonnel douglas end and the government begin? THE LIST GOES ON. Just food for thought.

-ChriS

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
It's called a CARTEL.

That's why prices are so high.

Do you think the $123 billion the oil companies made last year is being spent on alternative energy research? Imagine what energy sources we could build given that kind of financial dedication.

Heck, the Manhattan Project only cost 1/5th of that.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

My point is that the easy to obtain cheap oil is what gives these giant corporations their control over our energy sources, and that once this economically cheap oil becomes less accessible, and therefore far more expensive, it will work to break the monopoly that oil companies are currently able to maintain through their access to easily obtainable crude.

As long as good quality crude is readily available, oil companies are able to maintain their monopoly through market advantage. Once the high quality oil is gone, so too is the economic advantage.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join