It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End Of The World As We Know It

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
There's the problem in your thinking right there. We shouldn't exploit anything.

With all due respect, there's the problem with your vocabulary.

Main Entry: 2 ex·ploit
Pronunciation: \ik-ˈsplȯit, ˈek-ˌ\
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1838

1 : to make productive use of : utilize

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I doubt IF this does happen it would be all that bad,it would force the PTB to expose hidden technology like free energy,sure they will call it a "miracle breakthrough"but in reality it will be 100 year old tech.I believe this is al part of the disclosure plan.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Good post,starred.....but I dont think anyone is arguing that oil WAS bad,but now WE MUST find an alternative.ALL IT EVER WAS WAS A PATCH on an ever growing problem for a energy source to maintain a ever growing techno world.Its was jut part of one of the first stages of enrgy we will use........did you think it would last forever?

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
...did you think it would last forever?

No. Why would you ask me such a question?

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I wasn't trying to attack you Grady, I just saw a problem in that line of thinking (and it is not limited to you).

As for your definition, you probably should have used #2 as its more relevant to what I was talking about:

to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage

From the merriam webster link you posted.

All the things that could not have been done without the machines that run on petroleum products, like dams for hydroelectric plants, electric grids, the internet, mass communication, exploration of the universe?

These are all activities that can utilize (not exploit) diesel engines which can be run off vegetable oil, not petroleum.

All I was trying to say is that we cut ourselves off from ingenuity and progress when we decide oil is the future (or any fossil fuel for that matter).

Algae oil, peanut oil, hemp oil, wood pulp, and grease fat as fuels all work in a diesel engine. Petroleum is just condensed plant matter in the first place. Why not use something that can be grown year after year for a minimal amount of money?

We would have a never-ending fuel supply and most people's way of life wouldn't be affected in the least (which in my opinion needs to change, but that's another story).

Most of us wouldn't be alive were it not for the exploitation of petroleum. Either our progenitors would not have survived long enough to produce us or we would not have survived childhood.

Again, see above.

Those who pushed the limits of knowledge, technology, and natural resources have on the whole made life much more pleasant than it has ever been in the past.

More pleasant doesn't necessarily mean better or more worthwhile. On average people have to work harder and longer to afford the "necessities" that our consumer based society has made available. A few hundred years ago electricity was not a necessity. Now if you don't have electricity you're considered backwards.

I actually enjoy myself much more when I am "off the grid" hiking and sitting by a campfire at night. Life slows down from the fast-paced daily grind and I can actually relax.

I would argue that our technological advances have made us lazier, more complacent, and on average, less able to adapt.

We find things to be convenient so we do it. It doesn't matter if something was made in China by a 5 year old child getting paid $.02 an hour because its cheap. Quality has been outsourced by quantity and I've had about enough of it.

If we continue the kind of drive that led us here today, we will overcome the unintended consequences of generations past, but in our superiority, we will create new unintended consequences for the future generations.

I can agree with that.

Would I leave the oil in the ground? I can't answer that as I don't know. Probably not. If I had known the consequences of such actions, which can be argued are much worse, I don't think I would have made that decision.

Alcohol is a fuel source as well and there's plenty of that left over. That can also be used to power our automobiles and homes (if necessary).

All I was saying was that renewable energy is the future and nonrenewable is the way of the past.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I did not mean to attack you or say you're stupid or anything to that extent.

And this post was also not meant as an attack.

I hope we can come to an understanding.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Regardless of what people think oil will eventually run out that is just a fact. Weather its tomorrow or 150 years from now it is inevitable. We have the technology to change where we get our energy from solar, wind, nuclear, or whatever but as long as the big oil companies can make the money like they have been they will make sure that they will grease all the right hands to look the other way while giving us the shaft. Only when the people stand up will there be real change. Who knows at the rate we are going lets say oil would end in 150 years maybe if we get our act together and use this other energy that we have access to the oil would last another 400 years or whatever (timelines are examples not actual timelines)

I dont know ...who knows then again maybe the oil running out is just propaganda put out by big oil and opec to gouge the people no matter what it sucks.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I would argue that our technological advances have made us lazier, more complacent, and on average, less able to adapt.

Yea,true,but that is a "side effect" of technology,thats why we now have to agressivly excersise.because we do not have to use our bodies to the extent that we used to.Now as far as able to adapt and this being bad I disagree,technolgy is a nessicary part of evolution of a speices,how you use it is the hard part.For oil-yea it works well,but like I said it doesnt work forever-IT WILL RUN OUT and pretty soon.Whether thats 10 years or 150 years,it WILL happen and there is nothing we can do to stop it.Yes the oil companies are feeding themselves and not thinking of the future,but there will be a point-pretty soon where it wont matter anymore,cause the price will be so high,no one will pay it.The PTB have to expose a new energy source,whatever it might be-anything but fossil fuel(the quick fix)I live in Illinois-hell there is a bunch of cornand soy beans to make biofuels,it is here,but as of now the oil people have the gov. on a string like a puppet-this is not some "new"issue,this is old,they new this 30+ years ago-that this would be happening today-we will runb out of countrie to invade for oil soon and HAVE to use another source.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Dont worry, as soon as they have raped the earth of all the oil for maximum profits, they will present the alternatives they have been hiding/suppressing for the last few decades.

There's one thing, though. These oil barrons and politicians would rather let chaos and anarchy erupt first rather than introduce alternatives. If they don't have power and money, then no one should...that's probably their viewpoint. Either way, blood will be shed before anything seriously changes.

Has anyone read the book The Coming Economic Collapse: How you can thrive when oil costs $200 a barrel? The consequences of our dependence on oil will be enormous.

[edit on 6-4-2008 by JediK]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JediK

Yea,but this is all speculation............just like "y2k",just like "NWO",etc...............I just dont think it will get to that point IMO.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I am aware of the second definition. It is the first which I meant and the one which most people would understand in that context.

So, there is nothing wrong with my thinking.

The overall point is, what good is the oil in the ground when it can be exploited to bring about so much improvement in mankind's condition?

There are always unintended circumstances to every action, but that doesn't mean that action should not be taken.

One of two thing is going to happen. We will either find alternative energy sources to sustain our current quality of life or oil will run out and there will be no source of energy that will replace oil in its utiltity and flexibility and we will again live as we did in the past.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
People were predicting in the 70s that we would be at the "end of the world now", instead the standard of living worldwide, as a rule, is far, far better than it was then.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediK

There's one thing, though. These oil barrons and politicians would rather let chaos and anarchy erupt first rather than introduce alternatives.

No.

They do not want anarchy. They want their capitialisitc engine to thrive on their new oil. Anarchy is the last thing they want...

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Well without oil there'll be no more gasoline for the bombers, and tanks.
So war might become a thing of the past.
LOL , Who am i kidding they'll always fight wars.
And as for alternative energy sources.
I would bet the oil companies have already got a monopoly on those too.
Just waiting to suck the last drop of oil out of the ground before they switch over.
What will this new oil-less world look like?
Who cares not like we can do anything about it anyway.
We will prevail..............or not!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Oil V Free Energy Any one who thinks we dont have the technology for free energy is living in the past And i'm not talking about wind power or solar You might say well where is it ?? (The GOV and the Oil company all the same thing ) Would go broke over night if they let it out in the main stream If you look at YouTube and other sites that show you Free energy that in my book is a load of crap Yes they might work But FREE ENERGY should mean FREE ENERGY They should post on how it works and how to build one your self NOW that would be free But MANY people are about money (the evil of the human population )

Sorry for the rant

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
Regardless of what people think oil will eventually run out that is just a fact. Weather its tomorrow or 150 years from now it is inevitable.

There are more than a few scientists that would disagree with this 'fact'.

questionsquestions.net...
freeenergynews.com...

In any case, petroleum is a dirty technology and should have been made obsolete decades ago. If the big money PTB weren’t in such complete control, petrol would have only a few limited applications today.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Humanity will adapt to new situations. It may be a long, uphill battle to get there, but we will eventually find alternatives to solve any pending energy crisis. It won't be an 'end of the world' scenario.

Yes, there are delays in the current development of solar, wind, water, whatever forms of energy. But hey, there is still alot of money to be made in oil - why abandon a financial windfall when you don't have to yet, says the big oil companies.

It is a dismal situation, but the people who profit from the masses will just find another way to profit off this situation. And once the oil is gone, somehow someone will figure out how to tax or charge for using the sun.

MM

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

I agree with you totally. Then they will charge a small fortune for that alternate energy.It seems like a win win situation for those companies.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I could see that after they have instituted mass control on the global population and 10s of millions have died from all the consequences, than they'll reveal the suppressed technology.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediK

Dont worry, as soon as they have raped the earth of all the oil for maximum profits, they will present the alternatives they have been hiding/suppressing for the last few decades.

There's one thing, though. These oil barrons and politicians would rather let chaos and anarchy erupt first rather than introduce alternatives. If they don't have power and money, then no one should...that's probably their viewpoint. Either way, blood will be shed before anything seriously changes.

Has anyone read the book The Coming Economic Collapse: How you can thrive when oil costs $200 a barrel? The consequences of our dependence on oil will be enormous.

[edit on 6-4-2008 by JediK]

We have alternatives. We just don't have a way for anything to compete with oil and gas in the large-scale U.S. market. As I said before, the only way we will avoid eventually paying 30 dollars a gallon at the pump is by the politicians enforcing some kind of economic measure that ensures fair competition so that some kind of alternative source of energy can gain some kind of foothold and become a more feasible alternative.. How is the competition fair if everyone still uses gas to fill their tanks. Fuel-oil for home heating is ridiculous here in interior Alaska. There are always things about it in the paper up here.

Some people have to live in their cars because they can't afford to heat their home when it's 50 below. Up here it is a matter of life and death. If people run out of fuel oil, people can die pretty quick if they're stuck. That or they are forced to move in with someone else or find a rented place that includes fuel-oil in the rent that is still cost-worthy. I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 years and they increased the rent from 850 to 1000 a month just to offset the cost of fuel-oil. I moved out of there pretty quick and found a really nice place that isn't that bad.

Just so everyone is aware, the cost it takes to fill your car with gas is nothing compared to how much it costs to live and get around up here in the winter. You guys got it easy. Everything with the oil industry is amplified up here. We have a huge pipeline going through our state moving ridiculous amounts of oil from the north slope and we pay nearly the highest gas prices in the U.S.. Alot of our gas up here comes from oil that has to be shipped out of state, get refined, and get trucked back here to Alaska. Then all that money we pay gets raised again because of the cost of oil and how much it takes to truck it back and forth.

-ChriS

[edit on 6-4-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Quite a few people have done studies on the amount of oil in alaska that is untapped and came up with a figure that would supply the US with all the oil it would need for the next couple of hundred years> Since this oil is in protected area they can not drill and I think they said that is was pretty deep also, but that should pose no problem seeing as how the russians have recently tapped oil reserves as deep as 40000 feet.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join