It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The internet really is a trojan horse for Big Brother.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

I am just curious. Who are you replying to?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

The one asking questions that have little to do with the topic.

Apologies for not specifically replying to him, i thought i was the only one responding.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   

OK no problem. I just thought you may have been talking to me. Since you mentioned losing control of paranoia, and the topic is certainly full of paranoia.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Hi all

Thanks for posting this information Karlhungis.

I think most of us know that anytime we cruise the internet our data is being mined, our shopping habits online are monitored in order to bombard us with more products to consume, this so called "Big Brother" atmosphere is all around us in security cameras, Homeland Security measures, our browsing habits, our e-mail and ISP information is for sale to the highest bidder, you name it, we are being watched, no doubt about it. Every time I log onto Amazon.com it greets me by my name and suggests 50 books that I might be interested in according to my buying habits. Heck I made a purchase on Barnes and Noble because I had a gift card and it actually put an AD for the new John Grisham book RIGHT on my desktop somehow!

My point is... what makes you think anyone really cares where we are going and what we are looking at and what we are typing in IMs except when it comes to the almighty dollar?

I know this is a conspiracy site but do you stop to think of the sheer man power it would take to monitor closely the whole entire U.S. public that surfs the web at any given time? Granted there are probably programs out there that sift through the BILLIONS of pieces of data that race through the web in any given MINUTE to spit out certain worrisome words and phrases...

But come on....you can't seriously believe that everything you do or say is NOT ONLY monitored in it's ENTIRETY ...by anything then companies wanting to sell you stuff....

You can't really believe that our government, totally incompetent, as it is, actually has the man power, and the massive amounts of equipment it would take to do the kind of surveillance you all are talking about?

If that were true, and say that 10,000 people/members on this site, set off the "warning bells" just from their posts on here....that's 10,000 people that surf all day long, make how many phone calls, send how many e-mails at work, at home, interact with how many people in the course of their every day life....I mean come on people, get a hold of yourselves, it's IMPOSSIBLE, for that kind of up-close and personal spying to take place so quit worrying about it.

I don't care how many programs are designed to spit out certain key words and phrases here on the internet, and on the cell phone frequencies...there's never ever going to be enough human manpower in our lifetime to sift through it all or to spy on every single individual that hangs out in sites like this, IMHO.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Yah, but it's important to keep that paranoia in check unless it's nessecary or entertaining to do otherwise.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Amen Throbber!

What I said above your post but you said in one sentence lol...

I think it's hilarious that some people think that they are so important that the government must SURELY be watching every move they make, even when all they are doing is posting on a site like this.

Don't flatter yourselves and please put away the foil hats, trust me, you are not that important
Sleep well my fellow ATS members, I know I will!

[edit on 8-4-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I'm not so sure. Sure. Some of the information do have potential value. But for the most of it, it's complete garbage. Think about it. Chat rooms. Random Google searches. Browsing Ebay. I mean take a quick look at ATS alone - a random thread - and see how much useful information you can get out of a single thread.

Then you have to think about whether they really have the capability. There was a brilliant episode (Season 3, episode 12) of Boston Legal when Denny Crane was on the no-fly list and they took on Homeland Security because they couldn't take him off (in due time). In Alan Shore's closing argument he uses an iPod to show how useless the government and all their bureaucratic nonsense really is. Yes, I'm well aware that it's fiction but the point remains. How many times have you spent standing in queues for hours at end, to do something simple like renew a driver's license, etc.

For instance three months ago I applied to renew my passport. This took me two hours. A week ago it was finished. It took me another 3 hours. Just to get the passport. All they have to do is find the passport and hand it to me. 3 hours. If that is a show of their capabilities, then you have to wonder whether they really have the capability to check millions and millions of tetra gigs of data every day?

Then you have to look at cases where paedophiles talked kids into meeting up and the kids getting hurt. If "Big Brother" was watching the Internet, why didn't he do something to stop it? And there are thousands of such cases each and every day.

Personally I think the Government (that is if "Big Brother" and the government is the same thing?) is very scared of the Internet, because they have such little control over it. That why every now and then you'll see new - and sometimes preposterous - laws being thought up.
See BUBL for examples. And it's so easy to side step these laws.

Perhaps Big Brother "invented" the Internet for the abovementioned purpose, but I strongly doubt that they’re still in control of the horse they saddled up.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

I think you bring up good points. It is that line of thinking which is what has brought us to where we are today though. So many people think, "what's the big deal?"

I think as it is right now, they aren't using it for much. However, if you ever choose to get out of line, take a stand, run for office... what ever it may be. If you choose to do something of significance, no matter how right you are, they will have easy access to everything about you. If you stepped out of line anywhere along the way, they will be able to discredit you or lock you up.

Again, in my mind Elliot Spitzer is a prime example of what can be done. He stopped playing ball and called out the Bush administration on the housing scandal, so they dug up dirt on him and discredited him in public. No one ever gave his story about the administration the light of day, because of his scandal. Before that he was known as "Elliot Ness" because he was such a stand up guy. Now he is simply regarded as a scumbag who was whoring around on his wife. It is an extreme example of what can happen, but the theme is the same. Play ball and you are fine, step out of line and we will ruin your life. The potential is there.

I think this is an easy topic for people to dismiss as "If you aren't breaking the law, you have nothing to worry about", but I firmly believe that should not be the mindset. It depresses me that so many people feel that way now.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

I agree with you that their is no way that we are all closely followed or even cared about but i do believe their will come a day that they be looking for any little bit of information to put us in the looney bin and it may just be as simple as typing in our ip and then watching as all our past blogs and information pop up.
Who knows what kind of laws might come in the future something like thought crime for example where even this post would class me a traitor.
Sure they don't have the man power to sift through all the garbage but computers are making it a hell of a lot easier, its just a thought that it may be a good idea to protect your internet usage for future reference.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

thanks for putting it better then i did

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Don't flatter yourselves and please put away the foil hats, trust me, you are not that important

That is the point. I think you and Grenwolf are saying the same thing, more or less.

As long as you are not that important, it doesn't matter. That is why they aren't pre-emtively catching the child predators. They are nobody.

What I am suggesting is, IF you ever decide to do something significant like run for office on a "clean up Washington" ticket or start a social revolution, a break from the status quo, they have all of your info to go through to discredit you. You would most likely be labeled a conspiracy nut for posting here for starters. Then who knows what other dirt they could find.

Again though, it is only if the rare chance arises that you want to change status quo, wich for 99.9999% it doesn't matter. Just stay in line, do what you are told and nothing will happen.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Throbber

Yah, but it's important to keep that paranoia in check unless it's nessecary or entertaining to do otherwise.

Ah, of course it is entertaining... at least it is to me. Or I wouldn't be here.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Yes Karl,

I agree that we allow too many intrusive measures into our lives by far.

All I am saying is, we can't do anything about it, except complain to the elected officials that instituted these intrusive laws in the first place and they won't listen to us anyway.

Spitzer got nailed because he broke the law by ordering hookers in states that don't allow prostitution, and because he was a publicly elected official and his bank accounts showed suspicious withdrawals and were being monitored as are all elected officials I am sure, due to the level of corruption in this country now.

If he'd been having an online/offline affair with a woman not his wife that wasn't a hooker...and giving her gifts of cash, or paying her bills...I doubt he'd have been "outed" unless the fictitious gf in this scenario had come forward and tattled on him.

Just like if YOU were to hire a hooker, and it was illegal in your state, and I take it you are NOT a public official, yet large amounts of funds were being withdrawn from your bank account, nothing whatsoever would happen to you, unless your wife figured it out.

I am not saying that it's ok for all of this intrusive Big Brother is watching you business, I am just saying, put it in perspective. If you aren't building dirty bombs in your basement or running a pedophile ring in your spare time or enrolling in an Al Queda training camp, Big Brother ain't gonna care Amigo

top topics

<< 1   >>

join