It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The internet really is a trojan horse for Big Brother.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

I have been thinking about starting this thread for a while, but reading the article in the link finally made me go ahead with it.

It is my opinion that the internet is one big trojan horse for big brother. People used to be concerned about their privacy if they suspected someone might open their mail or listen in on a phone call, well that is nothing compared to the lack of privacy that we have now.

Your ISP knows everything about you now. They know what topics you are interested in, they know who you converse with and what you say, they know your shopping habits and they even know your perversions. All of the data is stored. They can claim that they don't maintain privacy info, but not all claim that and even if they do, I don't believe it.

Now with the government granting immunity to the Telecom industry for spying on its customers, the government has access to all that info as well. There is no longer any privacy, no fourth ammendmant.

Technology companies have long used “cookies,” little bits of tracking software slipped onto your computer, and other means, to record the Web sites you visit, the ads you click on, even the words you enter in search engines — information that some hold onto forever. They’re not telling you they’re doing it, and they’re not asking permission. Internet service providers are now getting into the act. Because they control your connection, they can keep track of everything you do online, and there have been reports that I.S.P.’s may have started to sell the information they collect.

The information, however, gets a lot more specific than age and gender — and more sensitive. Tech companies can keep track of when a particular Internet user looks up Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, visits adult Web sites, buys cancer drugs online or participates in anti-government discussion groups.[\ex]

If George Orwell had lived in the Internet age, he could have painted a grim picture of how Web monitoring could be used to promote authoritarianism. There is no need for neighborhood informants and paper dossiers if the government can see citizens’ every Web site visit, e-mail and text message.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I was just debating whether I was going to dump my home connection on 4-7-08 or on 5-7... it appears it will be 4-7. I'll check in from work.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
OK, whenever this topic comes up, I ALWAYS suggest using Tor with Firefox, deleting ALL your cookies, and blocking ALL you cookies (except ATS; YOU NEED THEM!).

Then you'll have at least SOME privacy!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
And the worst of all this is that once all that information has been processed and psychoanalyzed by some mathematical algorithm in some government computer, I bet they could tell me things about myself that I didn't even know. Scary.

However, after getting to know many humans during my time here on Earth, and realizing what humans are potentially capable of becoming and doing, I must say I think all this surveillance is really necessary. In fact they should all be tracked and watched 24x7. For your own protection and safety of course.

And, all this monitoring and surveillance will become even more necessary in order to implement a borderless One World Order. It's all part of the master plan. They already know how you all think now, even those that haven't bothered to connect with Big Brother yet.

Of course there is only one thing they are interested in knowing about you and what you are up to, and that is if you know about them and what they are up to.

Beware, a monster is being brought into existence, at your expense.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Also, the move is now being made to move libraries online. Google is taking the first steps now.

www.csmonitor.com...

Well, boot up, bibliophile. That vision took a big step toward becoming reality this week, as Internet search-engine firm Google and five big libraries announced plans to create a giant online reading room.

While it seems like a good idea on the surface, when you consider the fact that you no longer have any privacy at all, anyone can now know exactly what you are reading.

I know that many libraries are suffering from reduced membership and some are even closing down. My Orwellian mind is envisioning a future where libraries are rendered obsolete and all reading will have to be done online. Again, with big brother knowing what you are reading at all times.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I completely agree with you the amount of articles i have come across showing the lack of privacy we have is overwhelming two simple examples of this are the widely used Facebook and Myspace.

Heres a few problems with the Facebook Network.
Gun owner says Facebook gave employer access to her private profile

How Facebook employees break into your profile

Facebook Privacy

Facebook not for Employees

A Bit more far fetched is the CIA Link Still interesting and worth looking into.
Big Brothers, Big Facebook: Your Orwellian Community

And the problem with Myspace is a whole lot easier just look at who owns it
News Corp

Now fair enough most of us know that nothing on the net is truly private and i ain't worried about us i'm worried about the little up comers who have no idea about the fact that what you put on the net is there for life!

And finally on the subject of tor don't expect it to do everything for you

Phishing attacks on Tor anonymisation network

just found this thread makes the far fetched CIA connection more realistic!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6-4-2008 by fLANKED]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by fLANKED

Yes, facebook and myspace are both good examples. Those are like crack to many people. People are lining up to post all of their private lives online. Then they are shocked when they get fired or lose out on a job because of what is found on their myspace page.

In the digital world, nothing is private anymore.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Google was holding your personal information on what you were searching for and you can request this by filling out a form and submitting it to them.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
there is plenty on google

Google and Privacy Issues

Google Watch

Thanks to Google you don't have to dig past the first 2 results to find crap on them

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
People are lining up to post all of their private lives online . . . .
In the digital world, nothing is private anymore.

Hum, then the internet could also be like some kind of digital religious confessional booth then. I suppose with so many souls to process come judgment day, a sort of automated system to process all of your confessions would come in handy. Hook them all up like the Borg, then entice and compel them to confess. Pretty neat plan, but do you think they would be that gullible to do so?

Such a database would sure come in handy while implementing a one world order plan too. The potential trouble makers with the loudest mouths could be identified by doing a quick search.

One problem I see however is how are they going to separate out all of our lies from any truths we may have confessed? I'm sure they must realize their data means nothing unless it is accurate and honest confessions. I mean, we could sabotage it all by mixing in a load of crazy lies and degrade the integrity of all that information they are collecting.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
If I had to guess, I don't think they care if it is the truth or not. If you say something that is not status quo, weather you are lying or not, it would be used against you.

We used false info to justify a war. I am sure that the same would apply here. They would just mine the data until they find what they want to further their agenda. They care about the data, not the truth and not the individual.

Hypothetically speaking of course

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
How did I miss this one? Starred and Flagged!

Now, we don't just have to contend with Big Brother anymore, we have to worry about Tech Corps and I.S.P.s too? Man, the Fourth amendment has all but vanished in these times! We are now in the "Surveillance Age". Alarming and disgusting simultaniously.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

ISP's and tech companies are really all bowing down to big brother anyway. In my opinion, it is big brother that wants these things put in place. Some of it is done in the name of copywright protection, but all in all it comes back to the government being allowed easy access to your private info... just in case.

It really is astonishing how people have been completely numbed to the concept of privacy and that how it used to be your right. People don't really care that essentially everything about them is now out there. Far more than ever before. People could tap your phone or read your mail, but that would give any real info about who you are. Now they can track everywhere you go online, everything you want to learn about, every search you make, every email you make, everything you downoad, every text message..... that is more or less EVERYTHING.

I fear that thought crime will really be a reality soon.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I really think that maybe this is the best thread to say this. I am paranoid to say or do anything online. As it is, I've been followed by child services... And they have things at their disposal for tracking me down, that I don't even understand and am afraid of.

For instance, them somehow knowing when my friend ended up in the hospital, and calling in his room to harass and lie to him about me, trying to turn him against me. Coming up with numbers of everyone I know..
Me running into my caseworker on a couple occassions while out shopping...
Surely my phone company would provide such corrupt organizations all their hearts desire. Why not internet, too?

Man, we are ALL on that "list" of troublemakers I'm sure of it. The first to be rounded up when TSHTF. Just taking part at this forum is probably enough. Double that with researching shady government practices and bills...

Thanks for starting this thread

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
*grins*

You have to ask yourself, do they know something we don't?

Let's face it ladies & gentlemen, the IBrother is here, and he is watching.

Those of you who possess illegal/controversial material, i suggest moving it onto a seperate computer - one that you don't ever intend to hook up to the net.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If you've got a myspace... Immediately do what I did.

I dedicated the thing to my dog. Set him up with a whole bunch of other doggy friends, and leave doggy pictures all over their comments, and they will come and do the same to yours. Really give the government something to watch, let them think you are REALLY insane. Have doggy conversations with the others if you wanna give them some real stuff to use against ya.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Not to mention companies like Corel that use companies like Protexis to get more information about their customer's is also scary. There is a stealth installer product which comes with photoshop. It send personal information to Protexis and Corel for marketing schemes.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I forgot a main question I meant to ask in this thread... Honestly, I have posted in many threads that just happen to get deleted. I don't have any reason to think that mods here are trying to keep us from information, but simply.... Do the mods here delete threads when they think it will *protect* us to do so?? Anyone think so?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I don't think the mods delete threads to protect us. They usually only do it to protect themselves. Some are also deleted because there is another thread on the topic. Usually though, it is because the topic is against the T&C of the site.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I think you're loosing your grip on that paranoia.

If you don't have a reason to believe it, then why act on it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join