It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real reason the government banned ephedra?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Really and truly getting to the third eye is both difficult and dangerous. The mind/body/spirit balance is a delicate one. Without a truly competent spiritual guide it is to be avoided, in my opinion. Fun experiences and phenomenon aren't really worth much. Real spiritual pursuit is something quite different and revolves around wanting to know the true creator and get out of these worlds of lies forever.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Rod_Munch

How did you lose your job over taking ephidrine? I wasn't aware of employers firing people for being physically fit. It isn't a scheduled drug, so the only people who get in trouble for taking it are athletes who can't take performance enhancers.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by steve22

For most healthy people and athletic people the risk may be lower, unfortunately more overweight unhealthy people are more likely to use diet pills and drinks. But it is also true that perfectly healthy persons have died after using products contianing ephedra.

My sister was a lifetime dieter, she fluctuated between 120-150 lbs most of her adult life. She tried everything on the market, at least once. She added exercise to her regimen, lost some weight then as her body adjusted to the exercise, no more weight loss, just maintianing. When redux came out she quickly got her doctor to give it to her, he complied. She only used it for a week. Next month she found out she was pregnant. At 4 months pregnant she found out she was dying. The small dosage of Redux that she took caused a disorder called 'pph', primary pulmonary disorder. She carried the child and with the use of oxagen she was able to live for 2 more years. She donated her body for the study of PPH, they thought at the time it was a hereditary condition. Thanks to her, they discovered the link between Redux, Phen Phen, and deaths caused by PPH. I think that the government or whoever was very right in pulling those off the market, or the deaths would continue. It was a hard lesson.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
This seems to explain it - Ephedra causes death

en.wikipedia.org...

In recent years, the safety of ephedra-containing dietary supplements has been questioned by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, and the medical community as a result of a high rate of serious side effects and ephedra-related deaths.

In response to accumulating evidence of adverse effects and deaths related to ephedra, the FDA banned the sale of ephedra-containing supplements on April 12, 2004.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by steve22
ephedra doesnt do anything of that sort. as a bodybuilder, ive taken ephedra with caffeine and it just makes you sweat alot. abuse of it can give you heart arythmia and stuff like that, so they took it off the market because people are morons. I dont agree with the decision, but thats why.

Abuse? I never abused it. In fact, I took much less then the recommend dose for my size....and for being a chic.

Im 5' tall and about 125 lbs...mostly muscle. While using it I was in perfect shape and didnt abuse it. Yet it still had the negative affects that others exprerienced.

Maybe it just made you sweat because of your size...since you are a body builder.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
Ephedra... it causes numerous health problems which include sudden death by heart attack, stroke, and heat stroke.

[edit on 6-4-2008 by space cadet]

It does?
Are you sure its not the fact that the natural product was mixed with other synthetic medications/supplements/alcohol?

It would seem the Chinese have used Ephedra, the natural herb, for 1000s of years without issues. All of a sudden, "it" is the cause of sudden death.

When you read the stories, make sure you read what else was in the 'diet' (meds/supplements/etc) of the individual to see what is really up.

People get caught by main headlines and buzz words in articles.

ie.
"Holland Bans magic mushrooms"
Well, no...its not banned, yet. A news article would even say that, but with how they word headlines and the text its easy to look past facts. And thats really what they want I suppose, to guide you to what agenda they have.

In the case of ephedra, it was to get rid of it.

Same with Kava-Kava.
Back when it was competing with synthetic medications in the news, well something had to be done...right?

People said that kava caused liver damage, etc.
Funny that the south pacific islanders dont seem to have any recorded issues with Kava use.

Ah, they failed to tell you that they were selling the part of the kava plant that even the islanders didnt use.

And can we bet that people mixed it with synthetic medications/supplements/and worse alcohol?
I bet we can.

You see around 2000 it was already known and discussed in the medical realms that natural medicine and synthetics have contraindications with each other...well even amongst themselves you have to know what to take with what.

But here is the problem...people dont realize this.
"Oh, its nature...la di da di da...its like eating a carrot I can eat it with anything..."

And the real issue seems to be that people like to mix this stuff with alcohol which does not even mix well with synthetic medications.

So as you will notice, the publics ignorance was played upon.
Again, nothing wrong with not knowing...what I mean is Im not looking down on anyone...we all have to learn some time, the point is wanting to learn and grow past just a few ideas and thoughts that we cling to as if its the life blood of the universe, when its not even scratching the surface.

Again, if these indigenous people can use herbs for 100s and 1000s of years, lets not blame mother nature, lets blame ourselves for not looking into things clearer.

Better yet, lets master nature before we begin to play gods and go synthetic.
Im not against synthetics...but we need to start with what we have...and as I mentioned, we have not even scratched the surface. Sure civilizations of old (chinese, etc) seem like they have a leg up on us in this modern society sometimes.

So in short..."it" was probably the mixture of ephedra with alcohol.
I have to say, it has been a few years since I heard one of the main cases, but it seems that the medical journals etc. that I was working with mentioned that the alcohol mixture may have played a part.

Of course the truth will be stated, even in main news sources...but if you dont read the whole story and just read the buzz...well you will be left with buzz and the rest is left behind for those who want to dig deeper.

In a sense, it is up to us...do we need to continue being spoon fed what to believe?
It is comfortable...but its not necessarily beneficial.

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 8-4-2008 by dAlen]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Im 5' tall and about 125 lbs...mostly muscle. While using it I was in perfect shape and didnt abuse it. Yet it still had the negative affects that others exprerienced.

Maybe it just made you sweat because of your size...since you are a body builder.

Just to add, as this will go well with what I just posted, you bring up a good point.
Considering that you are not using synthetics medications/supplements/ and dont drink alcohol, you will have to remember that as with synthetic medication, natural medicine works at different levels with different people.

Some natural products are truly 'medications' and one must understand how this works with their lifestyle and health. Natural medicine is an art, the same as any other field.
Its the concept that we should just be able to indulge in nature and not get hurt, that hurts us. (Not saying this about the person Im quoting.)

As Paul in the Bible said, "All things are permissible, but not all things are beneficial"
And again, was it Solomon, "there is a time and place for everything"

What may be good and beneficial now may not be later...things are holistic...we are not going through some pre manufactured, cookie cutter factory...we have individual needs for our health/bodies,spirit,mind etc.

So dont ban products...educate.
Let it be caveat - some people may have the info they need and choose to use it.
And if they are wrong? Well it is their choice is it not? We do have freedom of choice? (Well not until we become conscious, or we would be to dangerous too ourselves.)

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
To the person I quoted.
There was a lot of ephedra out there it seems, that was mixed with something in the package it comes with. (i.e., it wasnt just taking ephedra...what was the rest of the stuff with it and how does it interact with each other and then with the users.)

So even that was not straight forward unless you were in an herb shop.

- and no, GNC does not count as a true herb shop...
I would stay away from probably everything they have. As their store is again an example of people assuming something is safe without doing homework.
'Natural' doesnt really mean natural anymore...just like how someone joked that organic may eventually get away from its original meaning (from the companies trying to profit from it and messing up the standard) and the next phase will be called 'wild'

Funny, but it shows the point.
People (big companies) are constantly trying to get one thing...your money.
Time to do research, if your up to it, and look into nature yourself.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
This seems to explain it - Ephedra causes death

en.wikipedia.org...

Yep a wiki article says it all.

Look in the medical journals around the time that the main deaths happened and see what the ephedra was mixed with. It was even questioned back then in the medical community if indeed it was that there was a contraindication with ephedra and something like alcohol. (Thinking of one particular case from the sports world...baseball i believe, ring a bell?)

Again, it is all to easy to read the buzz words.
You have to really be looking at the full story and really already know the full story to see it in print.

Like the whole magic mushroom ban in Holland.
Everyone thinks its NOW banned in Holland, and it isnt. But they got what they wanted in peoples minds. If you read the stories you will see its still in discussion, being put off on a decision, etc.

Look at my kava example in my first post on this page.
It was in the (medical) news as much as the synthetic meds back around 1999/2000 for treating depression, I believe it was, - of course this is bad business if you cant control the kava market and it was given a bad rap. But read what I said about the indigenous people of the south pacific who are quite fine after using kava for years...and also they sold parts in the states for use that were not used by the indigenous people themselves.

Its called...Educate yourself.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall I may be wrong, but I do not think you can patent a natural substance,

Ah, well tell that to Monsanto who has filed a patent for...the pig.

That was in 2005, Im sure they have their patent now.
This is the same group who will sell seeds that you cannot reuse or you are breaking an agreement with them. (Get real, you buy something and cant reuse it? As someone basically said, "even Microsoft lets you use the software you buy." But I guess they took cues from the music industry, remember when you could use high speed dubbing...to, gasp, copy tapes?
)

Well, anyway, Monsanto genetically engineered the seed to be resistant to the chemical (pesticide), that they also sell, so now they own a patent...makes you wonder if the indians own the patent to color corn therefore we dont see it in the stores.

Monsanto owns your soul...heheh
(Well, they would like a large chunk of it at least.)

Peace

dAlen

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I lost my job, because I was so addicted to ephedrine, that I became really agressive at work, and was just out of control.

I find it interesting that the Mormons used Ephedra, which grows in the desert southwest. Maybe it influenced some of their more far-out religious dogma?

Spiritually, for me, it made me feel indestructible.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dAlen

My own use of EPhedra led to heart damage. No alcohol was used during the time of ephedra use. No other drugs were being taken. Just Ephedra. I was not overweight. I was using it to make myself more alert. I only used one pill per day, recommended dosage was up to 6 pills a day.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dAlen

I do hear what you are saying and I do agree with you. It affects everyone differently. But we cant discount that it does have negative affects on many people.

Like I said....I took it in the form of Hydroxycut. I also too Hydroxycut w/out it and I didnt have the same problems. And I only used it on days I was working out. No alcohol or other meds involved.

So basically at the end of the day it was bad news for me. I really thought I was going to die....it was a horrible experience.

People just need to be carefuly and listen to their body!

[edit on 12-4-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Speaking of awareness increasing chemicals has anyone here tried using salvia divinorum in a spiritual way? what were the results? i read something recently that leads me to believe that it may be a legal way to "see beyond the veil" and i know many people on the edge of the fence so to say that could really use a tiny glimpse to motivate them to keep meditating and increasing their awareness.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

Ephedra is some nasty stuff. It's meths little brother.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Ephedra is a perfectly safe and good stimulant if used properly,these people comparing it to things as meth are idiots.Thats like comparing coca leaf to crack.A nicer stimulant you should try is sida cordifolia,tastes nicer in a tea compared to ephedra and its practically the same except different level of alkaloids.btw use the whole herb if using ephedra(make tea) dont use extracts in a capsule,there are other chemicals int he whole herb which coutneract ephedras blood pressure effects etc

[edit on 2-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I just wrote in another post about this, but for years in the gym we used this long before it became a popular diet pill. We called it "The Stack" that was a small amount of ephedrine, one aspirin (willow bark), and a cup of coffee. This was extremely effective in providing great energy, increasing metabolism, and reducing appetite.

The problem was that when it became popular people would take 10 times or more than what was really needed, while RAVers also found that if you basically overdose on it you will get a high. All this caused an upswing of heart issues and other medical problems that led to its ban.

I do know that very high doses can cause negative psychological issues too, so I would not say it is linked to a 3rd eye in anyway.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Ephedra taken correctly is fine. Here's a good article which is based off a new, extensive Danish study on the effects of the Ephedra and caffeine stack: EPHEDRA ARTICLE

READ IT!

Really good stuff in there. Just like anything, Ephedra can be abused. And when some people who shouldn't take it in the first place abuse it, guess where the witch hunt leads?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join