It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real reason the government banned ephedra?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I believe the reported reason.

I work out a lot...and back in the day, I used to take Hydroxycut w/ Epehdra....but for only a short time. It works. I could eat whatever the heck I wanted...and never put on an ounce. Now grant it, I did work out. But it gave me tons more energy and I could work out longer and harder.

With that said....I ended up in the hospital once....my heart rate was out of control and they thought I was going to have a heart attack. This was after me getting really sick and going to a "emergency clinic" that was near my house.

At the time, nobody knew the risks of it. So, nobody knew why this was happening to me.

I stopped taking it shortly after, because I hate taking "pills".

So, yeah, I totally believe the government's claims on this.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I am completely shocked. Not only did someone actually make a thread of this...but there are people here supporting the OP's premise.

Ephedra is bad. There is a very, very narrow band of therapeutic effect, and it is a shame that we had to have a really good cold medicine pulled from the shelves. But people will get high off fermented turds, so i am not surprised.

But, if you haven't seen the evil of meth, then you have no point of reference. It is evil, and outlawing ephedra was a VERY good idea.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It was taken off the market because it was dangerous, not because you could form a third eye.

I used to drive a truck and when I was in trucking school about 6 years ago truckers swore by them. Ive taken Black Beauty's and Yellow Jackets to help me drive like a madman for 600+ miles at a time.

Not good! I went back to coffee after my chest started hurting and after realizing that crap was straight up dangerous.

I'm only 30 years old and have since then had a nuclear stress test and an echo and thankfully my heart is not damaged. Still to this day I get the chest pains every once in a while.

BTW I only took maybe 9 total before stopping. Not much I know but I knew when to stop.

There is no conspiracy.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by imysbbad
reply to post by whitecastle

Sorry, but I am one of one's that believe the NWO are out to get rid of us and , chemtrails, 911 inside job, etc..... If the govt yanks something away from us, something is UP!

Your paranoia is preventing you from using logic, reason and common sense.

There are people here, including myself, who are telling you why the product was taken off the market - which is the government's reason for it.

Not everything is a conspiracy....no matter how much you want it to be.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

Jefwayne, I am convinced that no one is reading this thread, just commenting! I pointed out above that Ephedra is crushed leaves, and NOT the source of meth. The alkaloid psuedoephidrine and ephedrine in made from is derived from the plant , but meth cannot not be made out of ephedra leaves. You would have to make ephedrine out of it first. EPHEDRA is illegal because it kills people by overheating and causing heart attack and stroke. EPHEDRINE is still legal, and used to make meth.

Anyway, if anyone is reading this, EPHEDRA is not what meth is made of.
That is EPHEDRINE.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

If you seriously want to have some kind of experience that is considered to be spiritual with the use of some kind of stimulant to generate that experience, I would suggest you try Salvia Divinorum. Read up on it first, and never do it alone. It is legal here in GA, I am pretty sure it is all over the US< for now any way. You can smoke it, however to really get a strong visual and spiritual experience as it is meant to be used, you must make a quid. (read up). Smoking it is faster, but requires vaporization, if you just try to smoke it you will not expereince anything more than giggling. With a hooka or bong and plenty of heat, you will experience something very profound and unique to you, you will halucinate, only for a few minutes, the idea is that whatever you halucinate has some meaning to you, you must figure out what it is.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Ephedra has nothing whatsoever to do with cold medicine being removed from store shelves. That would be ephedrine. Not Ephedra. Two different things.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I'm not saying that ephedra should still be available almost everywhere, but one has to wonder why the natural substance is banned while derivatives of it (which can make an even more dangerous substance)are still available. You are absolutely correct that ephedrine is still available. Went to the store after my previous post and what do ya know they had little blister packs of ephedrine there (but you have to show ID and sign a register to get it).

I highly doubt that ephedra was banned because of psychic related properties. If anything conspiratorial it would be because it effectively competed with a very lucrative prescription diet pill business. Something that can supress appetite that effectively while at the same time costing what less than .50 USD per pill compared to a prescribed non-formulary diet pill scrip.I've seen people drop weight quickly taking ephedra based products regularly. Long term I'd say that ephedra is comprable to most diet pills. Remember phen-phen anyone?
I know that it raises body temperature and when we were in that warehouse working I made sure that everyone was drinking lots of fluids. We were in a refrigerated warehouse so the temp thing didn't bother us to much since we were only ever a few steps from a near freezing cooler.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

First of all, I'm not paranoid(where did that come from??). My logic and common sense are working just fine. I said ' if the govt yanks something up there's something to it". I didn't say it was a conspiracy or because of 'third eye'. I agree that the meth problem became worse and that is one of the reasons. Also, so many people learned how to make it themselves and that meant the (higher ups,govt,law,whatever you want to name them), couldn't make all that money off of it anymore so they had to stop it.(loads of money being made). Oh, Do I have proof you say? Well, actually I do, but I'm not gonna go there. I might have to use that one day. I doesn't matter if you believe me, I was interested in the posters comment on the third eye 'seeings' but it seems this thread wandered off elsewhere. I wasn't here to argue about the govt. I'll save my breath.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by imysbbad

The government did not ban ephedra because of meth, ephedra is not used to make meth, that would be ephedrine, not ephedra, please read through the thread.

Ephedra is a dangerous natural leaf , crushed and served up in capsules. It causes your body temp to rise, rapid heartbeat, stroke, ect. Kids were dropping dead all over the place. Remember all the football players in high school dying? Seemed for a while there at least one a month died after taking substances containing ephedra. That is why they banned it.

Ephedrine is still legal. You have to sign for it, but may purchase up to 200 pills at a time, or 2 bottles of 100, legally. It is used to make meth. It should be illegal, but it is not.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I worked in the healthfood industry for a couple years. By the time I had started working ephedra had already been banned, but there was still plenty on our shelves that could still be sold even though new product couldn't be bought by us. I still have product in my bedroom right now, that has something like 25 mg ephedrine group alkaloids in it. I've obviously taken ephedra and have NOT experienced other worldly results that I can remember. I think there are REAL health reasons that it was banned, concerning heart health and high blood pressure, etc. I have always believed that since it was such an EFFECTIVE weight loss supplement that it was banned at least partially because of big pharma. I may be wrong, but I do not think you can patent a natural substance, so you either have to duplicate it (as with pseudoephedrine, which is oddly not marketed for weight loss, right?), or eliminate is as a threat (i.e. ban it) So, I can't vouch for the third eye effect you mention, but I can say that it DEFINITELY worked as a weight loss supplement, and that that was probably a partial reason for its ban.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

Ephedra has nothing whatsoever to do with cold medicine being removed from store shelves. That would be ephedrine. Not Ephedra. Two different things.

Ephedra can still be used for meth (many things can be used to catalyse meth). But you are right. I misread.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
So, other than the OP, no one has ever heard of ephedra helping with spirituality? I still wonder where the concept even came from.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

The problem is, i think, that "spiritual" occurances happen experientially and are thus very subjective.

Some people like pleasure, some like pain. I like music and can find a spiritual moment in Tools "Aenima"

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Very true, but for someone to claim that it is a conspiracy by the government to stop our spiritual potential, you would think that at least a few other people would have been keen to this.

Good call on Aenima, though I prefer the "Prying open my 3rd eye" off of the Salival album (as far as spiritual experiences go).

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I am completely shocked. Not only did someone actually make a thread of this...but there are people here supporting the OP's premise.

Ephedra is bad. There is a very, very narrow band of therapeutic effect, and it is a shame that we had to have a really good cold medicine pulled from the shelves. But people will get high off fermented turds, so i am not surprised.

But, if you haven't seen the evil of meth, then you have no point of reference. It is evil, and outlawing ephedra was a VERY good idea.

FERMENTED TURDS? I think you are confusing methane gas and methamphetimes. I think you may have meant "fermented mushrooms".
You can get a really good buzz from them and I have had some really great out of body experiences from'shrooms too.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I met one person who used a product for weight loss that included ephredra and it damaged her kidneys.

She was pretty upset since she was young and this was an over the counter product.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Having taken the Hydroxycut with Ephedra for years and suffering NO ill effects whatsoever (this based on a recent INTENSE physical exam) this is really a sore subject with Me. I'm da*n sick and tired of the government "protecting us from ourselves" all because a few morons overdose on one thing or another.
For instance the moronic baseball player that died had taken 9 times the recommended dosage!! Dumba$$ died because of stupidity, not because the substance is "bad"
Stupidity was designed to have repercussions, those repercussions being severe enough so you won't be that stupid next time.

With that said, I can also say that since I did follow the recommended doasge guidlines I never experienced any spiritual or extraordinary occurances as a result of taking an ephedra based product.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
ephedra doesnt do anything of that sort. as a bodybuilder, ive taken ephedra with caffeine and it just makes you sweat alot. abuse of it can give you heart arythmia and stuff like that, so they took it off the market because people are morons. I dont agree with the decision, but thats why.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Ephedra, the plant form, is also known as "Mormom Tea".

I took Ephedrine tablets, the kind you bought at a gas station, for about a 6 month period. I learned that "stacking" them with Caffeine, and Aspirin, amplified the effect quite a bit.

I lost my gut, and got into the best shape of my life at age 31. I could run, do push ups and crunches, for god-like periods of time. That part was actually pretty bad-ass.

I was hiding it from my family. And it cost me my job, and my relationship at the time.

When I stopped taking it, when everything fell apart, I had severe depression, and gained the weight back. People say it causes seizure-like symptoms, or parkinson's. I totally believe that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join