It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming soon: superfast internet (The Grid)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Originally posted by Pro-genetic
ill stick with what we have at the moment cause they cant control what is here at the moment its to much of a mess but it works just fine!they dangle something shiny in front of you while they slowly tie your wrists!wake up people!

You'll take whatever is given you!

What kind of connection do you have now? You took that one didn't you?

Man.. the Grid is gonna be like the crack of internet addictions.

Not only that, some people are only thinking about the internet the way it is now.

The internet is "evolving" the way we see it now will be totally different in 10-20 years time. We need faster internet for the new and exiting ideas, technology, inventions etc etc, that will come in the future.

Nobody imagined such a thing as tv being possible when they first had electricity. Imagine what else we don't know about that will come in our future!

[edit on 7-4-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
All I know is, no one better complain about lag if this super fast internet comes out for all. If I see one person, JUST ONE with a ping over 20 I'm tearing this bad boy up.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
So how long before "It" evolves into a global neural network, becomes self aware and hacks into every human on the planet interfaced with it?

It sounds bizarre but there are some very real scientific theories dealing with Emergent intelligence and one idea is an internet on steroids developing into a conscious neural net. The scariest part is that we may not know or even recognize "It". It would be so alien and different we wouldn't realize that what appears to be bugs, glitches, viruses, or hackers messing with various systems is actually an emergent growing and learning AI.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
The grid is not just fast internet. What something really makes it a grid is groups of computers working together on one task rather then have one really big computer doing the work by it’s selfish self. So your computer, when idle, can be working on some bigger task, just like SETI did use peoples idle computer power. You had to have special SETI-software running and lots of people were happy to do so. This enables the scientist to sort trough enormous stags of data that would otherwise be impossible to sort in several lifetimes. The speed of SETI`s virtual computer was one thousand processor YEARS a DAY.

Look at it as when you want to fill a pool with fresh water. When opening your tap it’ll take two days by your selfish self, but if you open say 10K taps it will take 18 second because you have a grid of water taps working on the task. The grid working on the task improves the speed of fulfilling the task somewhat. The speed of your personal tap did not though.

Now imagine there is some funded pool to be filled with fresh water. A huuuuge facility twenty miles cross and it has to be filled rather quickly. So the people building the thing developed a grid with taps that uses very large piping so the individual taps can pour a lot more water then your average home-grown ones. They use this high speed piping because they can build it from ground up so let’s boogie right.

There’s you’re first high end grid to be fired up in short notice. Once employed, this grid will affect the piping used in new pools to build. These grids will spin-off high end piping for all. Being able to fill my pool in an hour by my selfish self is good enough for me I would think.

There’s my grid in a swimming pool and there’s nothing fishy in it.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
This is Internet 2. It's for the main infrastructure such as goverment, medical, and education. This is way to early for the public.

It is the future.

If you watch Bill Gates and Steve Jobs at it every year, they discuss this as the end of the PC. They termed it "The Cloud". They ahve become a partnership that has been developing two technologies together. One uses a hologram screen (table top) and the other uses a roll up screen like in the movie "mission to mars" (they have this already- o-LEDs).

In about ten years PCs will not exist. You will only have a screen. All your software will be accessed like you do with email. Turn your tv back on. You will pay for access as a subscriber or actually own the component through the service which you can retain the legal right too. In that aspect you can tranfer data that you won to your other devices.

This is a big deal since everyone is not going to be able to afford mass amounts of data that are already readily available for you to take.

But look on the brightside people.

It's a BIG BIG SCREEN. THE SIZE OF YOUR LIVING ROOM WALL!!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

I have a 3mb line, which is more than enough for me, its a bit much for me really, i only download d odd film, thats it! with the speeds that are being proposed you could probably download the entire internet in a week! after that you can cancel your subscription and continue surfing off your harddrive!LOL, And you might settle for takeing what your given but here in Ireland the customer is king, if i want a dial up, i get a dial up, if i want broadband i get broadband, simple as!

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
What I see coming with speeds like this is that the operating system/browser will all be online and accessing your data will be more secure this way. However this is if you trust the ones controlling it. Example might be an online Google operating system.

There will probably always be some type of bottle neck involved with the amount of internet speed and how fast your PC is the deal with it.

Quantum Computers might know what we will type before we type it. LOL

I know the technology is there for accessing the PC via voice but Artificial Intelligence needs to be advanced in order to make it more like the Star Trek computer experience.

As for slow speed lovers I would look for a sound clip the modem use to make for a wake up. I am so glad I don't have to hear it anymore.
And those times I lost all of my text in a forum message when the connection suddenly gave out.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Absolutely amazing... cannot wait for this to be used publicly. Wonder if this will be the death of CDs and possibly hard drives?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
Broadband is fine for me. I despise the "more" mentality.

Yet again, good thread!

[edit on 2008/4/5 by SteveR]

And when another billion people start to acccess the current net and your download speed becomes slower than paper mail you will be quite happy?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cool Hand Luke
Absolutely amazing... cannot wait for this to be used publicly. Wonder if this will be the death of CDs and possibly hard drives?

Probably CD's and DVD's but not hard drives. The hard drive does have a limited life but it will be replaced by NVM (Non Volatile Memory) whether that is flash or Mram (Magnetic) who knows. This is already starting but the flash replacements for hard drives are still quite expensive.

However, if we all stopped using Microsoft and adopted Linux then our memory requirements would plummet and you could have a working machine within the memory of 16gB USB drive. (£30/$60 latest lowest price). All your photos and music could indeed be on the net with your ISP if you feel brave enough! My trust does not go that far and I'd prefer to keep all my music, movies and photos on a home served USB hard drive (ironically enough!!)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
To be completely honest, I don't think the general public "needs" this.
As others have said the Military and Gov. Agencies will love this, because they have a "Need" for something with its capabilities.
Even though it would be fun to download the Entire Beatles Discography in 3 seconds

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cool Hand Luke

You won't need any clientside storage devices because the grid will be able to hold all of your information. Hard drives may become obsolete because each person would have at least a terabyte (estimated guess, probably will be much higher) to store their secret files or whatever it may be directly onto the internet/grid.

End of computers as we know it once this makes its way to civilian use.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Yes, the experts predict harddrives becoming obsolote to be the next big revolution. The thing after that will be holographic virtual worlds and whatnot.

All this is very good and very bad, depending upon the type of world you want to live in.

Interesting thread.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
reply to post by Cool Hand Luke

You won't need any clientside storage devices because the grid will be able to hold all of your information. Hard drives may become obsolete because each person would have at least a terabyte (estimated guess, probably will be much higher) to store their secret files or whatever it may be directly onto the internet/grid.

End of computers as we know it once this makes its way to civilian use.

eeehm, eeerrr, eh, isnt it obvious that when you can keep 'your' files on the grid, it can be viewed/accessed by anyone in government? Isnt it preferable to keep your secret files on a machine thats owned by you?

Maybe I am being paranoid, but I am really not waiting to put my files about Shamanic plants on an accessable grid. Or my anti-government info, and certainly not my downloaded torrents...This grid (other word for grid is matrix, btw) will make neo-con control 10000 times faster.
And lets be honest, folks, do we really need to play games on the internet? Isnt all this stuff exactly the sort of # (pardon my french) we should oppose?
We call this sort of stuff progress, but in actuality its just distracting us from our personal spiritual growth; these electro-toysm are the proverbial "games" that are ment with the "bread and games" thing.
Oh how nice; we have superfast computers, but no air to breathe, no Amazon anymore, almost no natural forests...indigenous peoples are destroyed, culture is destroyed and the only thing we get back for it is mechanical toys and corporate control.
Lets all pull our heads out of our arses and begin to look around at nature, to see what we should actually be doing.
We are rapidly turning into the greys we all so despise...
I fopr one do not feel anything for turning into a worker bee in a techno-hive, running around doing errands for the elite, under a dark cloud-covered sky that stinks of toxic chemicals. The waste products of 'progress' are all quite toxic.
The highest, most advanced technology that exists is still Nature. All we have to accept is that we cant control everything, to use that technology.
We don not NEED to control that which is perfect; nature.
We should dump our christian heritage and return to treating earth as if it is alive again.
But thats just my opinion, as always.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dervishmadwhirler

eeehm, eeerrr, eh, isnt it obvious that when you can keep 'your' files on the grid, it can be viewed/accessed by anyone in government? Isnt it preferable to keep your secret files on a machine thats owned by you?

People are already into file sharing. Perhaps concerns over privacy will diminish and a new more open society will emerge... definitely good for tracking terrorists... Although I'm sure people will always have their limits on privacy invasion.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Does anyone know what happened to the grid? Been patiently waiting...

<< 2  3  4   >>

join