It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming soon: superfast internet (The Grid)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
dude, I would totally want the grid even for civilian use...

I get frustrated if it take more than 2 seconds for a page to load on my cable modem...
and sometimes it take 5-10 seconds!
If I could get something that is instantaneous... well, I'd be down for it.

and gaming and downloading would be amazing...

But I tell you something:

If this does hit the civilian world, I wouldn't be surprised is the govt implemented some sort of tracking or surveillance system inside...
The interenet took off too fast for them to anticipate it, and it is the only system virtually unregulated... notice how I say virtually...
So if they could replace the internet with some technology of the future that they know everyone will use, well, good bye privacy rights...

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This is great for the researches and business that eventually have access that tech. I won't be holding my breath.

I live in a rural area. There is a fiber cable running down the road one mile from my place. What do I have available. A dial up that gets around 20 kilobits. Got to remember the telco is in this for the dollars.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Technology like that is very well-known in high-class societies. Thanks for sharing what you know & what you believe with all of us. We appreciate you & your work.

[edit on 6-4-2008 by ChadOnLife]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
ill stick with what we have at the moment cause they cant control what is here at the moment its to much of a mess but it works just fine!they dangle something shiny in front of you while they slowly tie your wrists!wake up people!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
is "the grid" worldwide or just a service at a particular location?

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I would have to wonder if this type of ground based system may be due to the loss of our satelites from some other possible catastrophic event. Otherwise it reminds me more of the matrix. Do you have your interface chip installed yet?

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
Broadband is fine for me. I despise the "more" mentality.

Yet again, good thread!

[edit on 2008/4/5 by SteveR]

Ever had 5 PCs running off of one house-hold broadband line? I used to live in a 6 bedroom place when I was a student, everyone had their own PC except one guy. It was worse than dial-up if everyone was downloading at the same time.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gammahelixx

The grid will be utilized as a mass storage system. You won't need your computer hard drive or RAM anymore. You'll be directly connected to a 'living, breathing, evolving' piece of hardware/software.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

That sounds like an operating system for the internet...

With the amount of users on the net at any one time, they're going to need to pull off some quite amazing electrical engineering to keep this thing working under pressure.

I suppose next they'll start making cyborg implants so we can download movies directly into our eyes...

edit; wouldn't you still need a hard drive to install games and software onto, anyway?

The only way i can see this working is through some sort of individual AI system, developed for each and every user.

[edit on 6-4-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

I'd say it is akin to an OS for the internet. You wouldn't really need software/hardware clientside because the grid would store all the information necessary for using it.

Ian Bird, project leader for Cern’s high-speed computing project, said grid technology could make the internet so fast that people would stop using desktop computers to store information and entrust it all to the internet.

“It will lead to what’s known as cloud computing, where people keep all their information online and access it from anywhere,” he said.

The grid could make the internet too fast for computers to store the amount of information, but that doesn't mean they're going to immediately be outdated.

I'd say we'll be using multiple terabyte hard drives and hundreds of gigahertz processors. As for RAM...that'll be in the gigabytes

reply to post by roche

That network, in effect a parallel internet, is now built, using fibre optic cables that run from Cern to 11 centres in the United States, Canada, the Far East, Europe and around the world.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Anyone else think this will be virtually useless since the cable and telco companies will be too cheap to upgrade bandwidth (unless I'm not understanding this right)?

[edit on 6-4-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

I think you misunderstood the premise of 'the grid.'

By contrast, the grid has been built with dedicated fibre optic cables and modern routing centres, meaning there are no outdated components to slow the deluge of data. The 55,000 servers already installed are expected to rise to 200,000 within the next two years.

That network, in effect a parallel internet, is now built, using fibre optic cables that run from Cern to 11 centres in the United States, Canada, the Far East, Europe and around the world.

From each centre, further connections radiate out to a host of other research institutions using existing high-speed academic networks.

It means Britain alone has 8,000 servers on the grid system – so that any student or academic will theoretically be able to hook up to the grid rather than the internet from this autumn.

The grid already exists, it just won't be turned on till this summer when Cern turns on its hadron collider.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Wait, this thing is already laid out and planned?

Where exactly did they get the cash from?

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Exactly what Throbber said, where did they get this cash?
Was this all hidden in those taxes that we and other countries pay?

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

The grid is already built . Its not complete, but it will be functioning this summer.

The money came from Cern. As Cern is going to be studying the most advanced physics, finding donations isn't exactly difficult.

The grid was built for their purposes, not for civilian use (originally).

Here's Cern's website and a link to the LHC that required the building of the grid.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
Broadband is fine for me. I despise the "more" mentality.

Yet again, good thread!

[edit on 2008/4/5 by SteveR]

Ok, this is just funny. Despise the "more" mentality all you want, however without it you would not have the broadband that you have become content with.

I started with a 300 baud modem. Do you know how infinitely more slow than broadband that is? Do you realize how infinitely more slow it is than a 56k Modem is?

LOL... you despise the more mentality... thats hilarious...

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
Anyone else think this will be virtually useless since the cable and telco companies will be too cheap to upgrade bandwidth (unless I'm not understanding this right)?

[edit on 6-4-2008 by Sublime620]

Sublime, I was still using 300 baud modems when the ArapaNet was runnin 10 MB connections between LANS

Given the fact that most communications mechanisms are pushed by content providers, you'll see this soon enough. Maybe not in the next 5 years, but perhaps 10-15.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by roche
is "the grid" worldwide or just a service at a particular location?

Did you read the article?

THe answer is within..

Hint... It covers several continents.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

I think that comment has been beaten to death by me and others in this thread lol. I think we should give him a break now haha.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pro-genetic
ill stick with what we have at the moment cause they cant control what is here at the moment its to much of a mess but it works just fine!they dangle something shiny in front of you while they slowly tie your wrists!wake up people!

You'll take whatever is given you!

What kind of connection do you have now? You took that one didn't you?

Man.. the Grid is gonna be like the crack of internet addictions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join