It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming soon: superfast internet (The Grid)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
The computer will not be used as storage. The grid itself will be able to store all the information.

I'm not sure the average user is going to find that to be necessary or even desirable.

I'm not really comfortable with my personal files being out there in cyberspace somewhere, instead of right here on my hard drive, except for my email, which is already on a server somewhere and just keeping it there is safer for me in the long run.

This may be a suitable arrangement for those who are creating tons of data like CERN, but I'll pass on that.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Great for online gamers, USA vs Japan without the 300+ ping!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

The average user will be an academic or scientist so I don't think they'd be all that worried about their data being looked at. There must be "personal space" where one can store data without others seeing it however.

How else would the US government (and others) be able to store 'national secrets'?

Heck, we may not gain access to the grid in the first place so I wouldn't worry too much about it

I do understand your concern though, and it is completely justified. I feel the same way.

[edit on 4/6/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I was under the impression that eventually we'll all be on the Grid, just as we now are all on the internet, which according to my interpretation of the article was built pretty much as we know it for CERN, also.

[edit on 2008/4/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Yeah since the grid was just built, we can't really know for sure if we are/aren't going to be using it.

If civilians are allowed to use the grid, it'll still be years away (maybe 2012? *wink* *wink*). I would love to use this technology though. The amount of information you'd have access to would be absolutely astounding.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Working in networking as I do, the server storage is paramount to what i'm concerned about. You would have to have an amazingly fast way to access the data in the first place on the storage device. And I always thought our gigabit setup at work was fast

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I can't help feeling like there's overwhelming similarities to this and Skynet. Terminator 3, I remember when I saw that movie (A spectacular sequel I thought would be disappointing), I got this really odd feeling towards the end of the movie, once Skynet was switched on, and the rise of the machines was inevitable. I felt like I was seeing our future being foretold there, and lately, I've seen a lot of technological news and documentaries, and they really worry me because I can see how overzealous we are to just gladly hand our humanly control over to machines, and that's a a HUGE danger. There's more people out there now in favor of making robots and computers do everything for us than there are against it. The really dangerous thing about it is that technology is being developed so incredibly fast-paced, and all in secret, that we'll never know our technology has surpassed our control until it's too late. Our machines are learning from us, maybe in a very rudimentary way right now... but they are still picki9ng up our traits.

What a dangerous scenario we will have created when we've built this massive network called the grid, built all of these machines that hook into the grid, can get info and commands from the grid, and can be taken over by the grid if the right programming is in place. All that takes is a little hacking and a few key prompts....

This new grid may not be anything to fear as it is unveilled, but towards the future, we will have already built the enemy its brain.

Is DARPA mentioned anywhere in the article? Keep an eye on DARPA.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The future...Looks...Scary and great at the same time. First thing that makes me wonder is what is this price going to be? I'm sure they are going to try and find someway to get every nickel and dime for this. I'm also wondering if this has something to do with the fact that we are getting rid of analog and going straight to digital.

Also I must ask when is this going to be coming out and if anyone says something like 2020 or 2040 someone gets hit :p.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Hi there, new here and stumbled over this thread. I like to comment on this one because I work for a company producing electronics for internet providing / telecom in the public sector. The server-units produced are hybrids adapting optical into the currently traditional cable connections.. It’s my guess that the current state of the infrastructure deployed in the field is largely up to the task of gritting. The units are not but these are mere interchangeable hybrids that will be replaced by i/o optical units once the glass roads reach your front door. This promises tremendous speed improvement to the public within a decade tops. Grid ready, for all I know but who cares, that’s just for processing gigantic amounts of yawning data when the game is over, the movie downloaded and your processor bored idle helping some evil scientists figuring out a shortcut to Kingdome come.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

finaly something that isnt as slow as 16MB
this cant come out fast enough

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
A really really really really fast internet connection like this ...... would love it if that what you would actually get .......

if this EVER becomes available to the general public no doubt the ISP's will throttle the download/upload speed like they do now ......

Im on a 20Mb connection ..... yeah like i ever actually get anything like that ....

besides .... all this talk of downloading movies ..... it would be great if you could actually do that without getting violating some piracy law.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

I'm not really comfortable with my personal files being out there in cyberspace somewhere, instead of right here on my hard drive, except for my email, which is already on a server somewhere and just keeping it there is safer for me in the long run.

Grady I am curious as to why you a more then comfortable with emails being stored on servers out in cyberland but not other files?

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Hmm.

This Grid is suppose to be used to post-pone major world events.

Interesting, perhaps a distraction tactic.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by menguard
Hmm.

I'm not sure about it "post-poning major world events" (do you have proof for that?), but I do agree about the distraction part.

The Internet is currently a huge distraction for many people as it is. If The Grid goes online and it goes 10,000 times as fast, does that mean users will spend 10,000 times as much time on it?

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Well this certainly thrills my little world. It certainly fulfills Daniel 12:4 in that during the end times "Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."

Looks like now conspiracies can be born, people can be watched by others, privacies can be invaded, and a lot more good AND bad can occur at 9.08 gigabytes per second. Keep this up and pretty soon they'll be able to transmit information before it happens.

Bully for Cern but for who else is it really necessary?

Have a nice day.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

The email is already being stored on the server until I can access it, so I think it is safe to leave it there until I choose to clean house, because of the very fact that it is non-sensitive matter to begin with.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Menguard, you always mystify me with your comments, with just enough to make me really think. What is it that you are thinking about with the Grid? Postpone major events? But how? Is the Grid going to be intelligent, like its movie predecessor?

There's a theory. Who's to say that this grid isn't hooked up to some super secret supercomputer with built in state of the art cybernetic intelligence? Watch any "future" shows of recently, and pushing the great idea of AI and squelching fear about possible misuses/consequences seems to be a huge talking point. I wonder why this is?

A.I. is pretty impressive now with what they can do in a public arena. What about within the black ops community? There's really no telling what an even partially independently thinking supercomputer with almost unlimited computing power could do. Just think of how powerful an intelligence could be if it tapped into every "plugged in" device on the globe. I believe the evolution of this technology is indeed providing them a pathway towards, and possibly has already provided them with, a global autonomous central intelligence gathering machine.

Think about it. If you have a machine do the intelligence gathering, then even less people in the loop. People are loose cannons and must be dealt with when they go astray, which takes more money, and more people in the loop to get things even and squared away.

This type of technology could eliminate the middle men, and could provide enough processing power to be able to do almost anything. This started with the military intelligence agencies, and it will end there. As long as they have the patent, they have the control, and we all know what the big cheese wants from us... So we should be a little more suspicious when they hand us their technology. Are they really giving it to us as a nice gesture to improve the ease of our lives?

I highly doubt it, since they can't even give sick dying children health insurance.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

If proof is a knowing then yes, yes I do.

Physical no, other then my word.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by menguard
Hmm.

TO post-pone
Major World Changes or Major world events.

Thats all I was told on it.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Very cool indeed, but until the physical mechanics of hard drives speed up, and memory/bus architecture can match that, it won't mean much to the individual user. You can't save a full length feature film to your hard drive, even the fastest one available today, in just a few seconds. You'd be doing really good to get it saved in less than 45.

That said, backbones that are under strain now would certainly benefit, and that could benefit the end user in lower latencies and a speedup of slow sites.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join