It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French President will not attend opening of the Beijing Olympics, will other countries follow?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

French President Nicholas Sarkozy will not attend the opening of the Beijing Olympics unless China opens talks with the Dalai Lama and frees political prisoners, a French minister has said.

I didnt think anyone would actually go ahead and boycott the games, i kinda hoped we (UK) would or someone else.
Is the French president only doing this as a popularity boost?
Will other countries follow suit.
I hardly think China would ever agree to such a thing, do you??

Source.

[edit on 5-4-2008 by Denied]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
People jump at this story so quickly

Sarkozy aide 'misquoted' on Games

France's human rights minister has denied setting conditions for President Nicolas Sarkozy's attendance at the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony.

Rama Yade said Le Monde newspaper had misquoted her as listing "conditions" for Mr Sarkozy's presence at the event.

"The word 'conditions' was never used," she said. Le Monde stood by its story.

Ms Yade had been quoted as saying Mr Sarkozy would miss the event unless China freed political prisoners and agreed to talk to the Dalai Lama.

Le Monde had quoted Ms Yade as saying: "Three conditions are essential for him to attend: an end to violence against the population and the liberation of political prisoners; light shed on the events in Tibet; and the opening of a dialogue with the Dalai Lama."

news.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

join