It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers Propose Crosswalk Cell Phone Ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Lawmakers Propose Crosswalk Cell Phone Ban

www.suntimes.com

State legislators may pass a bill that fines pedestrians for using cell phones while crossing the street, but don't expect Eve Decker to take notice.

"Put me in jail," said Decker, 45, of Chicago. "I'm not paying for talking on a phone. . . . It's a God-given freedom that I have. What law is there that says I can't talk on the street? It's no different than if I'm walking with a friend and talking."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wnbc.com
wcbstv.com
www.news.com

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is the type of laws that I can't stand!

Self righteous politicians who say they are only restricting what you can do for your own safety!

Do people seem soooo dumb in comparison to them that they feel that they have to govern every aspect of your life, including talking on a phone?

Life is full of risks and dangers every day, people DON'T NEED politicians to write a law to protect us from every little risk or danger!

I actually feel that it is insurance companies that lobby these politicians that push them to try to pass these idiotic laws! (of course the politician would want something in return for putting further restrictions on "his constituents" and sticking his neck out for the insurance industry!)

Insurance companies notice a rise in claims with people involved in accidents using cell phones while crossing the street, "HEY, let's get that politician we have in our pocket to pass a law saying people can't use a cell phone while crossing a street! This is costing us MONEY!"

They don't take into account the rise in population or the fact that almost everybody has a cell phone now. The same person who had an accident crossing a street with a cell phone might STILL have had that accident while crossing the street without a cell phone!

And what is the differance between talking to somebody on the phone and crossing a street or talking to the person next to you?

Are they going make it illegal to TALK while crossing the street next?

Where is it going to stop?

The insurance companies will just look at the next highest loss "activity" on their list to create a law against if our politicians don't put a stop to it!

I can't say for sure, but if there was a way to dig deep enough, I think you'll probably find an insurance company lobbyist pushing for this law.

www.suntimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/4/08 by Keyhole]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Ever since the study that claimed cellphones are more dangerous than smoking, I think stricter laws should be put in place.

1. No cellphones should ever be used by anyone under 18.

2. Huge taxes should be accessed to counter the health problems that may or may not present themselves in the future.

3. Cell phones should be banned indoors, and within 25 feet of any public or private building.

4. Talking on cellphones while in a car with children should be banned.

5. No depiction of cell phone use in movies.

6. Health insurance rates should be higher for cell phone users.

7. Companies should have the right not to hire cell phone users.

If a product is considered more dangerous to you than cigarettes, shouldn't it be treated like such? Shouldn't we have laws that protect us from ourselves. Shouldn't Big Cell Phone Companies have to face multi-billion dollar lawsuits? When will stupid "TRUTH" like commercials bashing cell phones appear?

join