It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this an old crater or something else? Google Earth image near my house

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I was looking at my house with Google Earth once again and noticed something I never have before. A large geographic feature about a mile from my house that looks like an old crater. Can anyone identify what would cause this, and is it an actual crater?

I blurred out my location, but I will tell you I live in Northern US.

As you can see there isnt much architecture near the feature, just one road. I could probably walk to this location if it was worth it.

To me it looks like a crater, but I was hoping somoene else could confirm that.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
show a topograph map of it and see if its indented other wise it looks like something strange

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
looks very interesting. looks like a very old impact crater to me though i'm no expert. Whats the possibilty of it being an old volcanic crater?

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Could be a crater or it could also be an old volcano caldera. Where abouts is this? is it in a known volcanic area?

heres a site with a bunch of known craters listed

Craters

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Thanks guys, I ended up just finding some information on it. Supposedly it is from old volcanic activity. I find this strange because I never heard of anything like that around here. Maybe soon I'll take a trip up there just to walk around and see what it looks like from the ground view.

This article describes exactly what it is

[edit on 5-4-2008 by samureyed]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There are a lot of old volcano's around in places you would never suspect. If you do decide to check it out, take a look around for different sediment layers on the rock walls (if any) also keep your eyes open for any pumice or crystalline rocks in and around the area. If you find any, take a few pictures and post them here. I would love to see them, also, if you could manage, a complete 360 view picture from the direct center looking out.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
That's cool.

Kind of creepy to see remnants of a volcano near your house, even if it's millions of years old.

The article said it was from the Cretacious period, I bet there are some awesome fossils to be found out there, and near to the surface as well.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I will plan a trip down there once its no so muddy, maybe in a feew weeks to a month. I will definately bring my camera, thanks for the info.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
OP, you just told everyone where you live. Expect a flaming bag of poop on your doorstep. Or, dare I say, egg-raid!

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
haha yeah, we're all looking at your house on google earth now....nice place!

[edit on 5-4-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
I will plan a trip down there once its no so muddy, maybe in a feew weeks to a month. I will definately bring my camera, thanks for the info.

Is it public land?

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Somewhat off topic, but related...

Did anyone notice that Google Maps has changed? It no longer gives me that nice robust interface, allowing dragging of the destination, or street views?

Maybe this is a simplified interface due to the suit that Mr Boring has about Google streets showing his house?

I tried to look up the State Park related to this post and saw the simple interface.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
I was looking at my house with Google Earth once again and noticed something I never have before. A large geographic feature about a mile from my house that looks like an old crater. Can anyone identify what would cause this, and is it an actual crater?

I blurred out my location, but I will tell you I live in Northern US.

As you can see there isnt much architecture near the feature, just one road. I could probably walk to this location if it was worth it.

To me it looks like a crater, but I was hoping somoene else could confirm that.

This is one of the locations that the alien tripods will soon emerge from!
Not to worry. They bypass pink houses. Just paint your house. You'll be fine.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
are you sure its a volcano and not some roman hill top fort / stone age settlement, looks like some thing they look at on the time team ?

Wee Mad Mental

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If it is a crater it will be a lot older than you think, it is very eroded compared to other craters ive seen,

check out this database and tell us if your house is on here also? be great if this was what you think and has yet to be discovered and named,

www.unb.ca...

You need to find another source for the anomalie, another map or satellite image that shows the same structure, then when your sure suggest it to the folks at this center on the site i listed, and get the sucker named after you..

There are a lot out there waiting for discovery, and everyone important for the geological history of the local area.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by samureyed

It looks man made to me, not only man made but possibly unfinished, it bears a striking resemblance to a typical Iron Age Hill Fort. I would love to see more close up photos, it's an interesting site, but no sign of a volcano to me, more likely, some kind of mining operation. Need to see more photos, interesting though, thanks fo posting,
Regards,
Horsegiver.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Surprisingly
symmetrical!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Howie47
Surprisingly
symmetrical!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm still thinking about this, and I have a question, did the Army ever occupy this land? Because I can easily visualise a centrally mounted boom with a bucket wheel excavator at the end, this would make it possible to quickly construct a moated defensive position as there is water nearby.
The excavated earth could be retained on the inside thus creating a 'high ground' position complete with a defensive moat in a relatively short space of time.
Just a thought,
Horsegiver.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
east coast of america was mostly a volcanic range, theres alot of info on it

heres some about new hampshire. ancient nh volcanoes

an this ancient volcanoes of america

although none for north east its more about western american volcanoes....

most places with hot springs an such are sites of old volcanoes...

[edit on 6-4-2008 by Trance Optic]

<<   2 >>

join